Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-04-2020, 09:53 AM   #29
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontwist View Post
i got a vararam from a vendor here a week later vararam was giveing the wedge away with a intake.i contacted the vendor and he said they were not impressed with the wedge and said i didn't miss out. i kinda believe him,if you get a tune the gain you will get will most likely be from the tune. i't kinda reminds me of the "tornado".
for a hundred bucks you can get a used vitesse throttle controller and that is the best improvement for throttle response....oh and no tune necessary for it.
with a tune,vararam,cat back and V-T/C my M6 car can bark 3rd with authority.
Throttle controllers are just a placebo effect plus they are known for causing reduced power problems.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:30 PM   #30
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
Throttle controllers are just a placebo effect plus they are known for causing reduced power problems.
placebo...no i don't think so.i can assure you it makes a huge improvement the best improvement would be a throttle cable.2 times i have had the reduced power thing happen.the fix was as simple as unplugging it. it took all of 5min.....to me the occasional .01% hiccup is worth the 99.99% of the time that it works.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:34 PM   #31
Bubblehead
Submarine Pilot

Drives: 2015 Commemorative Edition SS
Throttle controllers are awesome for a bolt on car. Just do your research on brands. I love mine. Never had any issues.

The power wedge is worth it for N/A cars with a stock intake manifold. After it’s ported or replaced with an aftermarket unit, the power wedge does nothing. When in doubt, talk to your tuner, ask if it will work with the parts you are using. I used one for about a year before upgrading to the rod mod and enjoyed it.
|GPI: Tune, Rod Mod, PTB; Vararam Intake; ARH 1_7/8 headers & 3" cat-back; GM 3.91 gears; Circle D 4c converter and trans rebuild; Derale trans cooler; B&M deep trans pan; JMS Pedalmax; Taylor Thundervolt 10.4 wires; NGK Ruthenium plugs; 160 tstat|
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:37 PM   #32
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
Placebo effect? Total nonsense. A ported throttle body and a tune combined will not have as much an effect on response as a good throttle controller will. Are they a necessity? No. Do they make more power? Nope. But they make a huge difference in throttle feel and response that cannot be replicated via a tune or any combination of bolt on parts, aside from converting to an actual throttle cable. The very highest settings can make my car damn near undriveable and dangerous, so it takes time to find your own setting and get used to them.

But yes, they can cause issues.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 05-04-2020 at 11:47 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:30 PM   #33
uvraise

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Placebo effect? Total nonsense. A ported throttle body and a tune combined will not have as much an effect on response as a good throttle controller will. Are they a necessity? No. Do they make more power? Nope. But they make a huge difference in throttle feel and response that cannot be replicated via a tune or any combination of bolt on parts, aside from converting to an actual throttle cable. The very highest settings can make my car damn near undriveable and dangerous, so it takes time to find your own setting and get used to them.

But yes, they can cause issues.
Agreed! I've had the VTC, but had issue with it. The one I have now is direct from China, but I've had absolutely no issue with it in almost two years. It may be a "Placebo" effect, but I guarantee I'll get the dig on most cars in our class.

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
uvraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:08 PM   #34
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by uvraise View Post
Agreed! I've had the VTC, but had issue with it. The one I have now is direct from China, but I've had absolutely no issue with it in almost two years. It may be a "Placebo" effect, but I guarantee I'll get the dig on most cars in our class.
Not sure what it is with the Vitesse units, but they certainly can be an issue. Surprised a generic China model is working that well for you, but I am glad to hear that. Doesn't bode well for Vitesse though lol.

Bigdumogre...Please don't take offense to my above post. I didn't mean to come off like a total douche. I just get worked up for some stupid reason when it comes to the throttle controllers, as if I have to defend their functionality. It is just that I know that they do work and make a big difference, but I understand completely they are not for everyone. and can be an issue for some cars.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:32 AM   #35
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Not sure what it is with the Vitesse units, but they certainly can be an issue. Surprised a generic China model is working that well for you, but I am glad to hear that. Doesn't bode well for Vitesse though lol.

Bigdumogre...Please don't take offense to my above post. I didn't mean to come off like a total douche. I just get worked up for some stupid reason when it comes to the throttle controllers, as if I have to defend their functionality. It is just that I know that they do work and make a big difference, but I understand completely they are not for everyone. and can be an issue for some cars.
Haha none taken, I worded it wrong too myself. They aren’t a placebo but it just opens the throttle more with less peddle depression. So it’s the same thing as moving the peddle down harder.

I actually do want one but some many people had them fail on them and throw the car into low power mode or the car won’t start.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #36
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
Not to hijack but Throttle Controllers don't just open throttle faster with less pedal pressure. They take the built in lag/torque management out of the GM pedal. There is a few reasons GM engineered the pedal the way they did. Torque management/traction, fuel mileage, consistent throttle response/power application. There is a video on Youtube showing a Trailblazer throttle lag, slam the pedal to the floor and the computer opens the throttle as it wants, slow and controlled. All a TC does is let the user control the ratio of the pedal to the throttle body. It can go from an under-drive, to a 1-1, or to an over-drive. It will let the engine rev faster, making power quicker because it is taking the lag out of the factory power setting.

Wish people would stop spreading fake news about the TC's. : )
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:54 PM   #37
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
That comparison of the wedge to the tornado made me laugh! By for $70 I might try the wedge.

As for the throttle controller, I had my throttle tuned by Corvettes of Westchester. The difference was amazing, and he can tailor it to your driving needs/style. https://corvettes-of-westchester.com...ts/cowbooster/
SOLD: 2010 2SS/RS L99-A6 K&N CAI, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers, Stainless Works hi-flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back. Tuned by Corvettes of Westchester. 1/LE rear suspension conversion, Bilstein B6 Stuts/shocks.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:48 PM   #38
6low

Drives: 2015 2SS/1LE
I tried the vittese throttle controller on my previous camaro, a base model v6. I couldn't get it to work for the life of me! I never did try to return it... I suppose I could try it on my 1le, though I am quite content on how it performs.
6low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #39
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Ice View Post
Not to hijack but Throttle Controllers don't just open throttle faster with less pedal pressure. They take the built in lag/torque management out of the GM pedal. There is a few reasons GM engineered the pedal the way they did. Torque management/traction, fuel mileage, consistent throttle response/power application. There is a video on Youtube showing a Trailblazer throttle lag, slam the pedal to the floor and the computer opens the throttle as it wants, slow and controlled. All a TC does is let the user control the ratio of the pedal to the throttle body. It can go from an under-drive, to a 1-1, or to an over-drive. It will let the engine rev faster, making power quicker because it is taking the lag out of the factory power setting.

Wish people would stop spreading fake news about the TC's. : )
A tune can have Torque Management reduced or removed. I noticed zero change in throttle tesponse after my tune. TC debates have been going on for years with a ton of examples of it causing issues..not always but enough. What's the misinformation you're claiming is being spread? If it really revs faster and makes power quicker don't you think people would have it for the track? There is zero performance gain from a TC.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:18 PM   #40
d kings z28

Drives: 2014 white z28
My tuner Tom Wong I ask him about adding one he said firm Don’t wast you money an he dose not put them in. Your mileage may very
d kings z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:41 PM   #41
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by d kings z28 View Post
My tuner Tom Wong I ask him about adding one he said firm Don’t wast you money an he dose not put them in. Your mileage may very
Agreed
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #42
hudson773
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 camaro SS
I am interested in this wedge. in some threads it was called a throttle controller. to me it just looks like a spacer that is wedge shaped. did I miss something? can I install this without a tune?
hudson773 is offline   Reply With Quote