Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-10-2021, 08:48 PM   #1
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
Lost key and Remote

I lost my key and remote, luckily I have a spare. I looked online to see what is available. I find the remote and the key separately but I see it says its a responder key. I'm not sure what to order, it also says the key has to be cut at a dealer. Some people tell me the key has no chip in it and some say it does. Does anybody really know what is what? I want to get a spare key ASAP.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:05 PM   #2
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
I ordered a spare switch blade key from Amazon or eBay (can’t remember now) and had my local locksmith cut it. Not just anyone can cut it, it takes a special laser cutting machine. My local dealer couldn’t do it actually. You’ll need a spare key that’s already programmed to the car to be able to program the new key.

This should help explain the key programming. The key has a chip, if not programmed the key won’t start the car.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5iGkopZ1CaU
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:47 AM   #3
PaulsSS

Thanks
Old 02-12-2021, 01:14 PM   #4
PaulsSS

Dealer tells me they have to program the remote or the buttons won't work. Is that true?
Old 02-12-2021, 05:39 PM   #5
PaulsSS

Ok its getting crazier, I called 3 different dealers and all have a different story of what has to be done. Has anyone lost their keys and replaced them? What did you do to get everything working. 1 dealers says I need a transponder key and the remote gets programmed at the dealer is over 300 dollars. 2nd dealer says they are not sure but they think its just a standard key and remote they have to try it and see what happens. 3rd dealer says only a the Key is available, it is 75 dollars plus programming 1hr @120 dollars.

Someone has to know what to do. Dealers all told me if it doesn't work I still pay.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:53 PM   #6
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsSS View Post
I lost my key and remote, luckily I have a spare. I looked online to see what is available. I find the remote and the key separately but I see it says its a responder key. I'm not sure what to order, it also says the key has to be cut at a dealer. Some people tell me the key has no chip in it and some say it does. Does anybody really know what is what? I want to get a spare key ASAP.
This changes the answer. You can look at youtube or search here. There are muliple key fob replacement threads and videos.
I was told you couldn't program more than two but I ordered a pair and all three of mine work, spawned from one working key and fob.
It needs a cutter than cuts into the key and not the edge obviously. Those are harder to find than the typical door key type kiosks or box store cutters. One place didn't want to cut my keys because they said the cheap chinese blanks tended to be harder metal that dulled their expensive cutting bits. Think the last one i had cut at ACE hardware for a reasonable price.

To get a more correct answer to your situation would be "I want to make a spare key-fob", if you just say I lost my key/fob it will be assumed you don't have the helpful second working spare.
If you didn't have a working set, then yeah, programming is different. IIRC the dealer must contact a GM tech support with vin to prevent random people getting a working key and stealing your car. Then they can program it. My old honda civic is different that the car won't program the replacment keys.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:46 PM   #7
PaulsSS

I bought this on fleabay https://www.ebay.com/itm/for-Buick-C...72.m2749.l2649 when it gets here I'll find a ACE hw, get it cut and try it. I'll only be out 45 or so, the dealers quoted 200-300 dollars which is crazy for a spare key imo. I'll post up how it goes when I get it. The 1st dealer told me right out they are not sure how it works or what you need for what year car. They try until it works, I find that ludicrous. The 1st dealer thinks the res ponder is in the remote and the key has nothing in it. He says put working key in with remote attached, turn on key, system sees the chip in the remote and it starts car.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:02 PM   #8
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
I bought this on fleabay https://www.ebay.com/itm/for-Buick-C...72.m2749.l2649 when it gets here I'll find a ACE hw, get it cut and try it. I'll only be out 45 or so, the dealers quoted 200-300 dollars which is crazy for a spare key imo. I'll post up how it goes when I get it. The 1st dealer told me right out they are not sure how it works or what you need for what year car. They try until it works, I find that ludicrous. The 1st dealer thinks the res ponder is in the remote and the key has nothing in it. He says put working key in with remote attached, turn on key, system sees the chip in the remote and it starts car.
I could test that theory, I’ve got a spare door key that the locksmith first cut as a test to make sure he had the pattern right. It will turn the ignition over but won’t start the car. I will try holding a programmed key next to the one in the ignition and see what happens.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:26 PM   #9
PaulsSS

Sounds good, I have a extra key that came with the car. Its just a plain metal key. Dealer told me at time its used to program the keys? Said to hang on to it. I tried it, it will turn but not start the car, BUT if I start the car with regular key with the remote attached to it then shut the car off and remove the regular key the plain metal key will start it. Confusing to me and the dealer. I know when I bought the car there was a issue with the door lock not working with the keys. They spent a entire day working on it trying to get keys to work so the car would start. They just about gave up and they made this blank then they got it going. I still wish I knew what they did but I think they really didn't know themselves and just got lucky. I ended up with 2 keys with black plastic, 1 plain metal key and 2 remotes. When they couldn't figure it out for 8hrs I almost refused to accept the car. They took me for dinner to stall because it was getting late in the day. I never had any trouble afterwards but I sure wish someone knew what key has what in it. I know they sell transponder keys for the Camaro but dealer says they don't use a transponder key? Completely confusing to me.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:47 AM   #10
byrds8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS, L99
I purchased my FOB from Keyless Remotes for $20. Granted to get it cut was another $35. After that you can use the key/FOB you have to program the new one. The chip that talks to the car before starting is in the FOB itself and not the key. The keyed portion is just a hunk of metal.
2013 Camaro SS/RS, Stainless Power long tube headers with HF's, Air Raid CAI, Solo Mach XL cat back, BC Racing coil overs, Elite Engineering catch can, Ferrada Forge 8 Wheels, Windows tinted at 20%, Tuned by Dyno Steve.
byrds8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:12 PM   #11
Ladyz28

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS, 2001 Ford Focus
Buy a new uncut key fob from either amazon or keyless remotes. Take to locksmith and have cut. Programming is easy. Turn key to on position and off with your working key and remote. Now put in your new key fob and again turn to on and then off. Key fob should be programmed. My car has let me program an additional 3 keys.
Ladyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:02 PM   #12
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
The 1st dealer thinks the res ponder is in the remote and the key has nothing in it. He says put working key in with remote attached, turn on key, system sees the chip in the remote and it starts car.
This dealer is actually correct.

The chip to start the car is in the remote (I cut the black plastic top off of the plain key to install in the key fob and can confirm there is no chip in the plain key). If you try to start the car with just the plain metal key, it won't start. If you try to start the car with the remote near the ignition (along the lines of same key chain), then it will start.

You can not program a new key fob/remote without an older, working key fob. If all you have is just the plain metal key and not the fob, the car has to be towed to a dealer to be programed. As long as you have a working fob, you can program a new fob yourself in about 30 seconds.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:14 AM   #13
PaulsSS

I have 1 working key-remote so I should be good. I ordered 1 remote and if it works ok I'm ordering another so I have a extra spare. Thanks for the help all of you.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:52 PM   #14
PaulsSS

I got the remote and had the key cut, programmed it using the old key but the remote start does not work with the new remote. Hitting the remote start on the remote opens the trunk. Anyone know how to fix this?