Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-21-2021, 11:32 PM   #1
GCguy2169

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Assistance - Trunnions and New Springs Install

About two weeks ago I had a spring break. Limped the car home, started ordering parts. Well, I also noticed the trunnions (about 5 of all 16) had heavy, heavy wear. This again was only to a few.

Does anyone know WHY this happens? I called Comp Cams, and they didn't seem to care about answering since it was their kit. About 20-25k miles on these upgraded trunnions.

To me, personally, it looks like the steel must be soft. I'm super curious as to how this could happen, and want to avoid it again in the future at all costs. I have now bought a CHE Precision kit to go in, along with new springs from Texas Speed.

(In the pictures you can clearly see where it appears that the needle bearings "dug into" the metal trunnion. The right side in the picture, the needle bearings were all dumped into the motor. The left side, is clearly wearing and beginning to become what the right side is doing. All the left side needle bearings were intact, still.)

What causes this? If there is no explanation, so be it. If there is a reason I'm extremely curious! Thanks!

-BTR Stage 4 Cam, ID850 Injectors, E-85 Tuned, Corsa Xtreme Exhaust , Kooks 1 7/8 Headers, Melling Performance Oil Pump, ATI Super Damper, BMR Suspension: Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, 1” Lowering Springs, Differential Bushings, Rx Ported and Polished Throttle Body, VIS Racing Carbon Fiber Hood, Custom Painted - Body Kit, Entire Vehicle, ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill, MRR 20” Wheels, Powerstop Brakes, Koni SRT.T Shocks and Struts
GCguy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:48 AM   #2
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
When did you buy those bearings? Because I have the same bearings too but I only have like 1500 miles on them and you've got me kinda scared. Oil starvation, extreme cam profile, extreme spring pressures, installation errors. Idk
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:53 AM   #3
GCguy2169

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
When did you buy those bearings? Because I have the same bearings too but I only have like 1500 miles on them and you've got me kinda scared. Oil starvation, extreme cam profile, extreme spring pressures, installation errors. Idk
I’m running a BTR stage 4 cam. It’s aggressive, but not “dangerous.” I called and talked to Paul at BTR and he wasn’t sure based off what I had told him. Google searching, all I could find was people complaining on LS Tech forums about the Comp Cams trunnions being “soft.” I have no idea either. .660 Dual Valve Springs in the car right now.

I’d almost think that if it was something cam related, spring pressure, etc.. you’d see more than 5 or so out of 16. I could be wrong, I’m no engineer!

However if I were you, pull your valve covers off every 5k miles. Check them. I wish I had done this very thing long ago. Now I will be.
-BTR Stage 4 Cam, ID850 Injectors, E-85 Tuned, Corsa Xtreme Exhaust , Kooks 1 7/8 Headers, Melling Performance Oil Pump, ATI Super Damper, BMR Suspension: Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, 1” Lowering Springs, Differential Bushings, Rx Ported and Polished Throttle Body, VIS Racing Carbon Fiber Hood, Custom Painted - Body Kit, Entire Vehicle, ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill, MRR 20” Wheels, Powerstop Brakes, Koni SRT.T Shocks and Struts
GCguy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 02:50 AM   #4
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Oh yeah after seeing yours like that I will definitely will be keeping an eye on mine.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:27 AM   #5
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
It looks like soft metal to me. The underside of the part that is not damaged could be tested for hardness if you knew what the specification for hardness is.

The left side of the pic shows the indents where the needle bearings created "pockets" for them to ride in over time. That could reduce the ease of travel for the needle bearing to glide over a surface.

The left side does not appear to show oil starved.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:07 PM   #6
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
bad heat treat maybe, when you install new ones, run oil with Zinc in it.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:20 AM   #7
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
The bronze bearings will wear much faster. They are really overkill for a street car. Get some caged needle bearings. They are better and can't fall apart.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:52 AM   #8
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Ive heard of many horror stories on these motors and comp cam stuff. I stayed clear. Looks like poor heat treating or who know. Sucks youre going through it. Che and smith bro stuff is great. Im running smiths and Im happy
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:23 PM   #9
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
The solid bronze bushings are supposed to be much better than any of the bearinged trunnions kits.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:48 AM   #10
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunchamp View Post
Ive heard of many horror stories on these motors and comp cam stuff. I stayed clear. Looks like poor heat treating or who know. Sucks youre going through it. Che and smith bro stuff is great. Im running smiths and Im happy
CHE bearings are hand pressed in so they don't require any special tool. BTW not to hijack this tread but ...did you get a custom tune, a data log tune or dyno tune from Jannetty?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:59 AM   #11
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
the comp cam trunnion kit is know to be pretty much junk. If you have then installed I would get them out. BTR V2 kit is a better design or a bushing kit. I have the CHE trunnion kit its bushings. only have about 5k on it so another 20k to go before I do the springs and check out how the bushing kit is doing.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:04 AM   #12
gunchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
CHE bearings are hand pressed in so they don't require any special tool. BTW not to hijack this tread but ...did you get a custom tune, a data log tune or dyno tune from Jannetty?
Yes, Jannetty did my tuning
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
Old 05-24-2021, 08:17 AM   #13
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunchamp View Post
Yes, Jannetty did my tuning
Was it a dyno tune?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 10:49 AM   #14
gunchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Was it a dyno tune?
No, remote tuning with HP tuners