Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-07-2021, 09:38 PM   #57
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
If these cars drive great in the snow, there is literally no vehicle on this planet that does not also.
Until the late 80s, all cars were rear wheel drive. Traction control and winter tires make snow and cold temperature non issues.

You only live once. Driving cars like this every day is gratifying. It gets dirty …wash it

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 08-08-2021 at 09:43 AM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:37 PM   #58
Nilly Welson

Drives: Camaro Super Sport, Six on the Stik
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrojedi View Post
You heard it ! the 6th gen SS is awesome in the winter ..I daily drive my 2018 1SS vert and its amazing, even here in Winnipeg with crazy -40 temperatures and huge amounts of snow. I work in sales at a Chevy dealership and decided to drive my car instead of parking it, I installed some 19" rims with Michelin X-Ice 3 tires and have been blown away ever since.. The car is a tank, has crazy amounts of grip and plows right thru the snow with ease, the ride is even fantastic...much smoother and more stable then my 2014 Forester also equipped with the same tires .. Anyways its not the best for the car and I know that but for myself the juice is worth the squeeze. The cars handling is amazing, I am so used to most cars wanting to understeer on the ice so its a real treat to drive something that can hold a line even on the craziest slickest ice around , the Camaro does not understeer at all, it turns when you want it to turn, with nannies on the car just does what you need it to do ...AWESOME !!! now if we could fix a few of the creaks and rattles I would be even happier !

Mine runs like a bat out of hell in winter. All that freezing air going into the intake feels like a 10 hp boost.
Nilly Welson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:31 AM   #59
mrgoodwrench
The Wicked Jester

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Vert
These cars can be fun year round. I am not fortunate to have a beater to drive in the winter so I bought an inexpensive set of stock SS rims and put on some BF Goodrich A/S tires when the winter weather shows up. My kids hated it when I made sure they made it to work in the snow. This pic is just one example of me going to work in the newest Camaro - I have many pics from the 2 older Camaros driving in the snow as well. I love every mile - no matter the weather...just use your brains and proper gears to get around...

I grew up driving Rear Wheel Drive cars with Snow Tires on them. I prefer to drive my Camaro in the snow instead of my wifes old Chrysler 200S front wheel drive car - I hated that car.

This is not a debate over what may or may not be safe. I am confident in my abilities - and here in the Hudson Valley(70 miles north of NYC) no one seems to go out in the snow anymore and I love driving in the snow. If it is truly sketchy out then that is a different story - but I am fortunate to now have a 2 mile commute - so I do make it into work while multiple people who work for me call out - guess their Subies cant make it in the snow.

On this day we had just a handful of people in. Corporate will not shut down unless it is a state of emergency and someone has to mind the shop so I am it. And Yes - I had to shovel out in front of the car to get out...but the guys plowing the parking lot made a clear path for us to get out once we were free of the windblown snow...

Name:  Camaro Snow Storm.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  102.1 KB

Name:  Camaro Snow Storm 2.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  85.4 KB
Old Car: 2010 Camaro Inferno Orange 2LT/RS
mrgoodwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:23 AM   #60
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Until the late 80s, all cars were rear wheel drive. Traction control and winter tires make snow and cold temperature non issues.

You only live once. Driving cars like this every day is gratifying. It gets dirty …wash it
Not to long ago all phones were attached to your wall. Do you stick with only that kind of phone because that is just the way it was or do you go with the new technology?

My winter vehicle is a 4 WD 2018 Chevy Tahoe. The Camaro will stay tucked away in the winter... You want to drive it all winter, go for it. I see all kinds of Camaros around here all spring/summer/fall. Don't see one of them all winter long.

Some of you guys are right. I only live once... So I have the toys I want for the weather I want to drive them and nice vehicles to drive at other times when I don't want to drive the summer toys. It ain't like I have to drive some rusted up old Saturn all winter. This thing is nothing more then a toy for me.

Last edited by jamala00; 08-10-2021 at 05:35 AM.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:32 AM   #61
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:

Yeah, but you can't wash off rock chips, dings, windshield cracks, pitting, etc. You look to be from WI as well, so I'm sure you can understand..
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:37 AM   #62
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Not to long ago all phones were attached to your wall. Do you stick with only that kind of phone because that is just the way it was or do you go with the new technology?

My winter vehicle is a 4 WD 2018 Chevy Tahoe. The Camaro will stay tucked away in the winter... You want to drive it all winter, go for it. I see all kinds of Camaros around here all spring/summer/fall. Don't see one of them all winter long.

Some of you guys are right. I only live once... So I have the toys I want for the weather I want to drive them and nice vehicles to drive at other times when I don't want to drive the summer toys. It ain't like I have to drive some rusted up old Saturn all winter. This thing is nothing more then a toy for me.
I agree. I just can't bare the winter conditions that my "nice" things would be subject to. When I was younger, sure, I would drive my sports car as often as I could (regardless of the season). I'm in a position now where my sports/muscle car isn't my daily...and is more of a toy. I love keeping it clean and I'm not forced to run it through winter's rock, salt, ice, higher possibility of being hit, etc - so why do it..? People who REALLY value their vehicles here do not run them in the winter (if they are afforded that luxury) period.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:48 AM   #63
hotlap

Quote:

1) The average annual snowfall in Wisconsin is 46.9 inches which occurs over 35.3 different events. That means 1.3 inches on average. Proper tires mean more than 4WD. Fact.

2) RWD with Sottozeros Winter tires will blow away FWD with All Season tires. As mrgoodwrench said, I prefer to drive my Camaro over my wife's FWD.

3) Your 4WD Tahoe wouldn't be able to keep up with my Camaro 99.99% of the time. I get to enjoy the power and agility of 1LE every day. See #4)

4) My Camaro is my personal commuter car so it is rare that I have a passenger. I once owned a Grand Cherokee 4WD as my commuter car and hated driving a big lumbering ox that got horrible gas mileage despite having only a 6 cylinder. It was a waste.

5) Not all phones were attached to walls in the 80s.
Name:  Michael-Douglas-640.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  47.7 KB

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 08-10-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:00 AM   #64
hotlap

Quote:

This is what I drove in the 80s but without the benefit of snow tires. Bought new in 84. My first new car

My girlfriend drove the 78 Firebird behind it.

No snow tires on it either. We got to work every day ...like everyone else.
Attached Images

Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 08-10-2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:10 AM   #65
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
I agree. I just can't bare the winter conditions that my "nice" things would be subject to. When I was younger, sure, I would drive my sports car as often as I could (regardless of the season). I'm in a position now where my sports/muscle car isn't my daily...and is more of a toy. I love keeping it clean and I'm not forced to run it through winter's rock, salt, ice, higher possibility of being hit, etc - so why do it..? People who REALLY value their vehicles here do not run them in the winter (if they are afforded that luxury) period.
I wrap the car in Xpel and then treat it like a car. Xpel does an amazing job of eliminating chips and scratches. Side skirts help a lot too.

It gets dirty, I wash it. I bucket wash year round and have a undercarriage wash rail for my pressure washer that I use to flush once spring comes.
Attached Images

Ronald Reagan -
Old 08-10-2021, 09:22 AM   #66
jamala00

Quote:
1) The average annual snow fall in Wisconsin is 46.9 inches which occurs over 35.3 different events. That means 1.3 inches on average. Proper tires mean more than 4WD. Fact.

You talk about snow. I could careless about snow.. Salt and Brine is what eats away your car and turns it to rust...

2) RWD with Sottozeros Winter tires will blow away FWD with All Season tires. As mrgoodwrench said, I prefer to drive my Camaro over my wife's FWD.

Good for you!

3) Your 4WD Tahoe wouldn't be able to keep up with my Camaro 99.99% of the time. I get to enjoy the power and agility of 1LE every day. See #4)

Again.. Good for you.. Not sure what racing around in the winter has to do with anything. Again...Salt and Brine...

4) My Camaro is my personal commuter car so it is rare that I have a passenger. I once owned a Grand Cherokee 4WD as my commuter car and hated driving a big lumbering ox that got horrible gas mileage despite having only a 6 cylinder. It was a waste.

Personal Choice, just like me not wanting to drive my Camaro in the winter.
Never understood why people who drive their Camaro or {insert sport car name here} in the winter months always seem to have to defend their decision to others, or make others feel like they should.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:24 AM   #67
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
110% Spot On.

Last edited by jamala00; 08-10-2021 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:33 AM   #68
hotlap

Quote:
Never understood why people who drive their Camaro or {insert sport car name here} in the winter months always seem to have to defend their decision to others, or make others feel like they should.
I never understood why people buy a new Camaro and watch it depreciate and become irrelevant under a cover in the corner of thier garage.

Its a car.

Ronald Reagan -
Old 08-10-2021, 09:36 AM   #69
jamala00

Quote:
I never understood why people buy a new Camaro and watch it depreciate and become irrelevant under a cover in the corner of thier garage.

Its a car.
Yep.. It's a car (That's a toy)

Pretty simple explanation Because I want to and I can afford too.

We have many toys. Camaro, Snowmobile, Pantoon Boat, Harley, 4 Wheeler.... They are all toys... Can't possibly use them all, all the time. We have a Tahoe because we like to travel. We take luggage, golf clubs, a dog.. etc.. You going to get that all into your Camaro? So if I have a 4 WD Tahoe already, why on earth would I buy winter tires for a Camaro and let a 4 WD vehicle sit? That makes no sense.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:04 AM   #70
hotlap

Quote:
Yep.. It's a car (That's a toy)

Pretty simple explanation Because I want to and I can afford too.

Me too!

Except, its a car that will be replaced by another car that is equally cool. Difference is that mine actually gets used.

Quote:
We have many toys. Camaro, Snowmobile, Pantoon Boat, Harley, 4 Wheeler.... They are all toys... Can't possibly use them all, all the time. We have a Tahoe because we like to travel. We take luggage, golf clubs, a dog.. etc.. You going to get that all into your Camaro? So if I have a 4 WD Tahoe already, why on earth would I buy winter tires for a Camaro and let a 4 WD vehicle sit? That makes no sense.
I already told you that this is a commuter car. A really cool one.

My wife drives a boring, AWD, SUV that I utilize for all that utilitarian stuff. I have no need for a Tahoe.

Ronald Reagan -