Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 05-10-2022, 10:16 AM   #1
Clearly_Canadian

Drives: 2017 2SS Camaro
FIX 82 inputs

Hi All,
I have embraced the car audio bug that has bitten me over the long winter. I have collected all my parts and I am ready to lay down some fiberglass in the next week or two if temperatures will allow me to. Hoping to have the whole system done for the end of May or June. Clearly I am not in a rush and want to make sure I do this properly this time. Up until now I have just been running a couple 500W amps into a couple 12" kicker L7's with a LC2I line level converter. It has been great for all the bass in the rap world, however, I listen to a lot of rock as well as rap and would love to get some mids and highs heightened to enjoy some rock.

Now its time to get serious! I have a 2SS w/Bose.

This list of parts I have compiled so far is:

Front: Focal PS165F Flax 6.5 Inch 2-Way Component Kit
Rear Deck: Alpine X-S69C X-Series 6x9 Inch Component 2-Way
Front, rear fill amp: Alpine X-A70F 120 x 4
Subs: Two - Kicker 12" L7
Sub amp: Two - Alpine X-A90M 900W x 1
DSP: JL Audio Fix 82, JL Audio TWK D8

It has been a few years since I have been into car audio and the game has changed since having to simply replace the head unit and run RCA's ,+/- and remote wires. This will be the first time I have had to use a DSP to get a "clean signal".

So after explaining my starting point, here is my question: Which speakers do I use for each of the 8 channels going into the FIX 82? This is what I am thinking but I am not 100% sure.

Channel 1 - front left tweeter
Channel 2 - front right tweeter
Channel 3 - front left door
Channel 4 - front right door
Channel 5 - N/A
Channel 6 - N/A
Channel 7 - N/A
Channel 8 - N/A

This should give me both high and low signals to sum. no?

Because the FIX 82 only has 2 outputs, would this be enough just to get the "clean signal" out and run daisy chain to all 3 of my amps and use the crossovers on the amps to select the highs and lows?

I am confused because of the chime signals that I don't want to introduce into the amplifiers. I have read that the blinkers run through the front left tweet and back up sensors run through the rear left and who knows where the door chimes and seatbelt chimes run through.

I know this is long winded to ask a simple question, but the more info I can provide, the clearer answer I seek.

Thanks in advance.
Kevin

Last edited by Clearly_Canadian; 05-17-2022 at 09:15 AM.
Clearly_Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:59 PM   #2
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Here is what the channels do
Attached Images

Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:58 PM   #3
Clearly_Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr8000 View Post
Here is what the channels do
Yes, I see that in the manual. My concern is more of the chimes, back up sensors ect. I see yours only has 4 channels used (purple, green, white and grey). I am wondering which speakers off the Bose amp your are using for these channels. I don't want to assume that these are the stock car wiring colors and bugger something up. this shit is expensive. haha

Do you have any issues with amplified chimes using that set up?
Old 05-11-2022, 03:04 AM   #4
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearly_Canadian View Post
Yes, I see that in the manual. My concern is more of the chimes, back up sensors ect. I see yours only has 4 channels used (purple, green, white and grey). I am wondering which speakers off the Bose amp your are using for these channels. I don't want to assume that these are the stock car wiring colors and bugger something up. this shit is expensive. haha

Do you have any issues with amplified chimes using that set up?
I don’t. Mine is an active system run off a twik88 with the fix86 feeding it. You might have issues with door chimes daisy chaining amps. I will say get rid of the focal and switch to all alpine. I have the same focals as you. They need to be paired with all focal as they have a unique sound. I will post up when I a get time in the next day or 2 that will help you on what mine actually does. I am not close to my car but I can plug into my fix and twik and send you the maps. What they do is actually super simple. I started with the lc2 witch is trash. I got rid of it for the same reasons you are. My lc2 system I did. My jl system was done by the jl shop. I didn’t really understand the whole the thing until I owned.
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:20 AM   #5
Clearly_Canadian

Quote:
I don’t. Mine is an active system run off a twik88 with the fix86 feeding it. You might have issues with door chimes daisy chaining amps. I will say get rid of the focal and switch to all alpine. I have the same focals as you. They need to be paired with all focal as they have a unique sound. I will post up when I a get time in the next day or 2 that will help you on what mine actually does. I am not close to my car but I can plug into my fix and twik and send you the maps. What they do is actually super simple. I started with the lc2 witch is trash. I got rid of it for the same reasons you are. My lc2 system I did. My jl system was done by the jl shop. I didn’t really understand the whole the thing until I owned.
Thank you, that would be a great help.

I wanted to go all Alpine X series when I was designing this system. But the Focal component set showed up, unused on marketplace for a steal. so I grabbed it. I am toying with the idea of using the 6X9 Alpine X component set I have for the front and putting the focal in the back. It would require less modifications than the 6.5 Focals. I have always been an Alpine guy since I was a teen.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:42 AM   #6
Clearly_Canadian

Quote:
I picked up a TWK D8 to come out of my FIX 82 for more flexibility. But to be honest, I am in over my head with this install. I am fine when it comes to installing everything except the FIX and TWK. I have searched everywhere online for a wiring diagram, but I haven't found anything for the 2SS Bose system into a FIX/TWK. I am having a hellofa time wrapping my head around it. I am a visual kind of guy. I need to see the connections for me to understand.

At this point I am actually think of getting a shop to do the install of these two components, But I know they will not want the work if it is only partial. Like a mechanic installing the blower and allowing the customer to install the intercooler plumbing.
Old 05-25-2022, 12:15 PM   #7
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Quote:
I picked up a TWK D8 to come out of my FIX 82 for more flexibility. But to be honest, I am in over my head with this install. I am fine when it comes to installing everything except the FIX and TWK. I have searched everywhere online for a wiring diagram, but I haven't found anything for the 2SS Bose system into a FIX/TWK. I am having a hellofa time wrapping my head around it. I am a visual kind of guy. I need to see the connections for me to understand.

At this point I am actually think of getting a shop to do the install of these two components, But I know they will not want the work if it is only partial. Like a mechanic installing the blower and allowing the customer to install the intercooler plumbing.
Out of the factory Bose amp you'll want to take all of the Front TW, Front Door, Rear Quarters, and Rear Deck outputs into the FIX. There isn't much you want to do with the center into the FIX given it's limitations. Out of the FIX you take outputs 1-6 into the TWK inputs 1-6. Within the TWK you perform the necessary signal routing for the amplifier outputs. If you want to play with the center, it can come into TWK input 7 after passing thru a LOC and just assign it to presets so you can compare with/without. Note that you'll have to manually fix EQ and T/A on the center channel signal.

The issue with shops taking a partial project is finger pointing if something doesn't work - not worth the liability.

You can get the factory schematics from ACDelcoTDS and just buy a 3-day access and then print-to-PDF anything you want to save. I have both Bose and Non-Bose radio systems schematics saved.

I'll be using the newest JL VXi series of amplifiers and handling the DSP corrections within the amp and saving a few components. I have a video showing how I perform factory EQ corrections with the VXi amps - but I don't run rear fill and focus on front component, full-active, SQ builds.

Rears in this car seem like a poor use of money if the goal is SQ. If the budget isn't being split between front and rear speakers (meaning the nicest speakers you want can be bought for both front and rear) then having presets and a fader let you run rears as the situation calls for. I always recommend spending all of the speaker budget on front components.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 02:12 PM   #8
Clearly_Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
Out of the factory Bose amp you'll want to take all of the Front TW, Front Door, Rear Quarters, and Rear Deck outputs into the FIX. There isn't much you want to do with the center into the FIX given it's limitations. Out of the FIX you take outputs 1-6 into the TWK inputs 1-6. Within the TWK you perform the necessary signal routing for the amplifier outputs. If you want to play with the center, it can come into TWK input 7 after passing thru a LOC and just assign it to presets so you can compare with/without. Note that you'll have to manually fix EQ and T/A on the center channel signal.

The issue with shops taking a partial project is finger pointing if something doesn't work - not worth the liability.

You can get the factory schematics from ACDelcoTDS and just buy a 3-day access and then print-to-PDF anything you want to save. I have both Bose and Non-Bose radio systems schematics saved.

I'll be using the newest JL VXi series of amplifiers and handling the DSP corrections within the amp and saving a few components. I have a video showing how I perform factory EQ corrections with the VXi amps - but I don't run rear fill and focus on front component, full-active, SQ builds.

Rears in this car seem like a poor use of money if the goal is SQ. If the budget isn't being split between front and rear speakers (meaning the nicest speakers you want can be bought for both front and rear) then having presets and a fader let you run rears as the situation calls for. I always recommend spending all of the speaker budget on front components.
Thank you for that detail. I appreciate it very much. this will help me a lot. I am starting to wrap my head around it slowly. Just so much to learn. And, it is frustrating when you think you have bought all the right stuff to find out there is easier ways like you mentioned. The shop I went to is not interested in hooking it up with the JL audio FIX, TWK. They would prefer if I went with a DSP amplifier M4 from Helix. I am not apposed to doing so, just wish I didn't waste hard earned money on the JL Audio stuff that I won't be able to sell.
Old 06-01-2022, 02:28 PM   #9
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Quote:
Thank you for that detail. I appreciate it very much. this will help me a lot. I am starting to wrap my head around it slowly. Just so much to learn. And, it is frustrating when you think you have bought all the right stuff to find out there is easier ways like you mentioned. The shop I went to is not interested in hooking it up with the JL audio FIX, TWK. They would prefer if I went with a DSP amplifier M4 from Helix. I am not apposed to doing so, just wish I didn't waste hard earned money on the JL Audio stuff that I won't be able to sell.
Nothing wrong with the Fix and TWK, and the benefit is they allow you to run any amplifiers you want while also keeping amplifier replacement costs down.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:09 PM   #10
DarkKnyte

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
I created a thread with my experiences using the Fix86. I haven't gotten to the Twk 88 section yet, but I have posted some information about using the Fix86 which I think would really help you.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606205
DarkKnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 03:41 PM   #11
Clearly_Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnyte View Post
I created a thread with my experiences using the Fix86. I haven't gotten to the Twk 88 section yet, but I have posted some information about using the Fix86 which I think would really help you.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606205
Yes, this does help. Thank you for that. I have decided to persevere with my JL audio 82 & TWK. I have the sub box all fiber glassed in the spare tire well and am just awaiting a new router to finalize my amp rack for install. Hopefully have the rack done this weekend and I can then start wiring it all up. Weather has not been on my side. Been a slow process. But it gave me plenty of time to collect the missing links.