Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-21-2023, 02:30 PM   #1
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
ZL1 1LE Red Brake Calipers question

Hello. I am going to guess that this question has been asked before, but the search feature in these Forums is not working,...so I'll just ask...

I have a 2017 ZL1, which as everyone here knows has silver brake calipers. The ZL1 1LE has the red calipers which I would like to add to my car. First of all, is that an exact fit from the ZL1 to ZL1 1 LE? any issues to make that conversion?

In terms of model, performance and brake power are they the same between the two sets? meaning is it just a color difference? or are they actually different calipers?

...and by any chance does anyone have the exact part numbers for the red calipers?

Thank you very much.
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 03:03 PM   #2
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Hi, yes ZL1 and ZL1 1LE calipers are identical except for the red color and 1LE logo on the ZLE calipers. So it's a direct replacement. My recommendation to save you hassle is to remove your silver calipers and take them to a qualified shop to have them powder-coated in red vs spending $$$ on ZLE calipers. Lots of detail and performance shops in so cal do caliper color customization, make sure they guarantee the paint work like OEM for super-high track temps or they will turn brown.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 03:21 PM   #3
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Hi, yes ZL1 and ZL1 1LE calipers are identical except for the red color and 1LE logo on the ZLE calipers. So it's a direct replacement. My recommendation to save you hassle is to remove your silver calipers and take them to a qualified shop to have them powder-coated in red vs spending $$$ on ZLE calipers. Lots of detail and performance shops in so cal do caliper color customization, make sure they guarantee the paint work like OEM for super-high track temps or they will turn brown.
Thank you for that info. I did consider getting them powder coated, but I have trust issues . I had some bad experiences in the past with shops that are here today and gone tomorrow...especially here in So Cal. It seemed easier to just swap in the new ones on my own. But I will look into powder coating. If you have any suggestions on shops, please let me know.
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 03:54 PM   #4
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Racer View Post
Hello. I am going to guess that this question has been asked before, but the search feature in these Forums is not working,...so I'll just ask...

I have a 2017 ZL1, which as everyone here knows has silver brake calipers. The ZL1 1LE has the red calipers which I would like to add to my car. First of all, is that an exact fit from the ZL1 to ZL1 1 LE? any issues to make that conversion?

In terms of model, performance and brake power are they the same between the two sets? meaning is it just a color difference? or are they actually different calipers?

...and by any chance does anyone have the exact part numbers for the red calipers?

Thank you very much.
As SFV said, it's the exact same brake caliper. There are no brake differences between the ZL1 or ZL1 1LE except the color and the 1LE logo. They both perform exactly the same.

Only real difference out there is the copper free brakes. Which the rotors, calipers and pads are slightly larger. This is for any ZL1 or SS.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 04:39 PM   #5
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
As SFV said, it's the exact same brake caliper. There are no brake differences between the ZL1 or ZL1 1LE except the color and the 1LE logo. They both perform exactly the same.

Only real difference out there is the copper free brakes. Which the rotors, calipers and pads are slightly larger. This is for any ZL1 or SS.
I didn’t realize GM made larger rotors, callipers and pads for copper free only states, That’s something new to me.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 05:09 PM   #6
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
I didn’t realize GM made larger rotors, callipers and pads for copper free only states, That’s something new to me.
This started with MY2022 by the way, so it’s fairly recent!

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 05:14 PM   #7
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofu View Post
This started with MY2022 by the way, so it’s fairly recent!

Geoff
I guess that’s what was needed to produce the same braking performance as the non-copper free
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 05:26 PM   #8
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
Yea, it's only a few mm for both the rotors and pads to make up for the braking performance loss by going to copper-free pads.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 10:48 PM   #9
SFV1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
Yea, it's only a few mm for both the rotors and pads to make up for the braking performance loss by going to copper-free pads.
I would think this is a problem if you're looking for great pad upgrades like Ferodo DS 1.11 in the copper free sizes.

I would look for pre copper free ZL1 brakes on Ebay, seems like a lot of ZL1 parts end up there when someone wrecks a ZL1, which happens way too often. Here is a nice set:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38564040589...3ABFBMpoD4wq9i

Last edited by SFV1LE; 07-22-2023 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-22-2023, 07:37 AM   #10
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
I would think this is a problem if you're looking for great pad upgrades like Ferodo DS 1.11 in the copper free sizes.

I would look for pre copper free ZL1 brakes on Ebay, seems like a lot of ZL1 parts end up there when someone wrecks a ZL1, which happens way too often. Here is a nice set:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38564040589...3ABFBMpoD4wq9i
A few of us with the copper free system are running the normal ZL1 sized pads. I am currently running the DS 1.11s.
Old 07-22-2023, 08:05 AM   #11
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
I wanted red calipers on my ZL1 but I didn't want 1LE on them.

I bought a second set of silver ZL1 calipers off eBay and had a local wheel repair shop paint them red hot.

I have had calipers both powder coated and painted. The downside to powder coating is the pistons and seals have to be removed because of the baking process. Technically you should buy new seals because the originals could be damaged during removal. This is not necessary if you paint the calipers.

As far as which holds up better, I have seen no difference. I will always go with painted calipers over powder coated.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2023, 11:29 AM   #12
SFV1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
I wanted red calipers on my ZL1 but I didn't want 1LE on them.

I bought a second set of silver ZL1 calipers off eBay and had a local wheel repair shop paint them red hot.

I have had calipers both powder coated and painted. The downside to powder coating is the pistons and seals have to be removed because of the baking process. Technically you should buy new seals because the originals could be damaged during removal. This is not necessary if you paint the calipers.

As far as which holds up better, I have seen no difference. I will always go with painted calipers over powder coated.
I agree that painting makes more sense, the trick is finding a shop that uses the kind of paint used by Brembo for their best calipers because the cheaper paint on Evos and WRX STIs eventually turns brown at high track heat.
Old 07-22-2023, 11:36 AM   #13
SFV1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Racer View Post
Thank you for that info. I did consider getting them powder coated, but I have trust issues . I had some bad experiences in the past with shops that are here today and gone tomorrow...especially here in So Cal. It seemed easier to just swap in the new ones on my own. But I will look into powder coating. If you have any suggestions on shops, please let me know.
Agree, if you use a car customization or detail/wheel repair shop you need to thoroughly vet them and confirm they have many customer testimonials, AND get a guarantee they warranty the paint for heavy track use.

Another option in So Cal is this place, they're in Fullerton and they build racing brake systems and rebuild Brembo, AP, etc. So I think they do repainting using the highest quality OEM paint and also do the Brembo decals...

https://racingbrake.com/

1556 Kimberly Ave. Fullerton, CA 92831
Phone: 714-871-6392