Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #71
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
lol@ all of the gangster well wishers....remember the reason for the season...if someone doesn't like you saying it to them..remember the reason for the season and find peace in the true reason. Alot of us fought for this country and what it stands for...so yeah we have Freedom of Speech...but people are not obligated to like what you say....Freedom of Religion...even though others may disagree with yours....angry because someone doesn't want to hear it....c'mon on now...really? Oh Yeah Merry Christmas...remember the reason for the season.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #72
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
For some reason this thread doesn't really feel like the spirit of Christmas...

hmmm.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #73
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Merry Christmas for sure
Old 12-15-2009, 09:04 PM   #74
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUMPER20X View Post
...and they got all bent lol. I sensed the offense and said "Dont like it? Tough!" I grew up with that and thats too bad. Canada and the US Christmas is the center of the holidays, always has and always will be. Be proud of it and take the season back.
That's what you get for saying "Merry Christmas" in front of a Synagogue...

Choose your locations more wisely and you'll get a better response.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #75
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by DkknightX View Post
That's what you get for saying "Merry Christmas" in front of a Synagogue...

Choose your locations more wisely and you'll get a better response.
warn 145:159 ban
Old 12-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #76
Analogy

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS
I am an atheist and I wish people a Merry Christmas also. It is a holiday people need to learn tolerance

Ordered 1SS/RS 3-2-09 1100
2000 4-24-09
2500 4-29-09
3000 4-30-09
3300 5-22-09
Old 12-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #77
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogy View Post
I am an atheist and I wish people a Merry Christmas also. It is a holiday people need to learn tolerance
That's the only point I've been trying to make. We have to tolerate that some people have experienced extreme hate from well-wishers to other people. I'm sure that I could show up at Fred Phelps' church and receive praises for showing up, but the same guy shows incredible hate to people different than him. Those of us wishing a merry Christmas to Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and sometimes atheists forget that people have died for merely looking like one of them according to vague prejudiced definitions, much less believe in faiths that do not celebrate the birth of Christianity's most significant figure. Does that make sense? People are sensitive around this time of year because it reminds many of these people that society, over the ages, has caused them unimaginable harm.

All I'm saying is that those well-wishers who truly want to embody their religion should accept that not everyone agrees with their faith; that they believe in God, or don't, in a different way if at all. If they want to join your faith, assuming you* have one, you should have faith that God will send them in the right direction. You may not understand their story—their history may even be different from yours—so accept that this is bigger than someone being a dick to you for not wishing the same back. It could just be that you hit a soft spot by saying anything at all.

*you—obviously not the atheist I quoted since atheists by their very definition do not believe in God; in reference to those wishing a merry Christmas
warn 145:159 ban
Old 12-15-2009, 10:45 PM   #78
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
You actually found someone who was offended by "merry Christmas"? I always thought that was more of a joke about how politically correct things have gotten.

If you celebrate Christmas, don't be shy about it! If you're Jewish, wish the goyim a happy Hanukkah! If you're a post-Celtic neo-pagan, wish me a prosperous winter solstice or whatever the heck it is you like to celebrate in the winter. Freedom of religion doesn't mean shamefully hiding your traditions.
Hell Freaking yeah!!!! Merry Christmas. I worked retail a long time ago and I hated not being aloud to say Merry Christmas only allowed to say Happy Holidays.. Never again.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #79
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekay70 View Post
How does the early form of "God be with you" relate to anything "Anti-Christmas"?
Because most of the people in the U.S. doing the protesting to remove "Christmas" from the schools and public buildings are Atheists.

Make sense?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:03 PM   #80
StealthMan

Drives: 88 IROC-Z Convert, 08 Jeep Rubicon
I just heard on the news today that there is a group trying to change the name "Christmas Tree" to "Family Tree".....UNBELIEVABLE!!

oh..and Merry Christmas!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 11:13 PM   #81
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Merry Christmas .....I hope you find a maggie under ALL of your trees....
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Old 12-15-2009, 11:23 PM   #82
navmaxlp

Drives: Not a Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Not everyone agrees with that either, but every American will admit that the holiday season includes everything from Halloween to New Years, even if they aren't Christian. For many of the minority religions, this time of year is a sensitive time, charged with hate crimes against their faiths. We should also take into consideration that Halloween, All Saints Day, Christmas, and New Years all originate in the Christian calendar. For instance, the Jewish calendar date today is 28 Kislev 5770 rather than 15 December 2009 and the Jewish new year, Rosh Hashanah, has already occurred. In fact, the only US holiday at this time of year not based on the Christian tradition is Thanksgiving. With that being said, it is understandable that people from other traditions would have certain sensitivities at this time of year.
Well, honestly the Christian tradition of Christmas was taken from the Pagan practices of Yule. When the Christian church was attempting to convert the Pagans, they felt that if they could adapt the current celebratory traditions, they would win over the potential converts more easily.

That being said, I think the problem here is that some people don't realize there is a difference between "freedom OF religion" and "freedom FROM religion". They believe there is no place for religion anywhere because not everyone agrees with it when, in reality, our founding fathers established the country to ensure just the opposite; a place where everyone could practice their religion openly and without fear of persecution. Unfortunately more and more of the founding fathers' intentions are falling by the wayside.

My .02
Old 12-15-2009, 11:25 PM   #83
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
And on that note we're done.

Closed.

Closed Thread