Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

MPD1
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
Jarhead
Semper Fi Camaro

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Aqua Blue LS3 Gauge PKG
Footwell lighting

Ok folks, I just completed adding blue Led lighting to the foot/floorboard area in the front of my camaro. I found that there is a connector under the passenger side kick panel. It is the closest one to the door jamb once you remove the kick panel. Simply squeeze (pinch) the 2 release tabs at the top and then the handle rotates up to disconnect the connector. The Grey wire (about the center of the connector) on the body side of the connector is the light fading wire. I tapped the LED light power wire to this wire and completed the ground to any suitable ground connection. Now the LED lights work exactly as the overhead light does. Fades on and off, comes on with door open off when closed etc. I will post some pics in a little while. Still doing some other mods that has my attention right now. It was very simple to get to and required no special tools or connectors.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Thanks for the headsup. I'm going to be installintg my footwell lighting here shortly and any tips/tricks are helpful.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Kendell347
Doc

Drives: BLACKOUT (2SS/RS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
Ok folks, I just completed adding blue Led lighting to the foot/floorboard area in the front of my camaro. I found that there is a connector under the passenger side kick panel. It is the closest one to the door jamb once you remove the kick panel. Simply squeeze (pinch) the 2 release tabs at the top and then the handle rotates up to disconnect the connector. The Grey wire (about the center of the connector) on the body side of the connector is the light fading wire. I tapped the LED light power wire to this wire and completed the ground to any suitable ground connection. Now the LED lights work exactly as the overhead light does. Fades on and off, comes on with door open off when closed etc. I will post some pics in a little while. Still doing some other mods that has my attention right now. It was very simple to get to and required no special tools or connectors.

1100-7/20/2009 * 6000-2/4/10 Proud Owner of Autographed Litho # 128Mods: CAI CAI, Emblempros Dash Plaque, R/C Lic. Plate, Fbodfathers signature, AAC SMD SML, AAC P13 LED DRL, TF center console, Full dash ABL, Noweed Exhaust Diverters, Heritage Grille, Door Projectors, 20watt LED reverse lights with strobe features, S.S. black billet grille with air scoops, custom designed engine cover, custom designed "BLACKOUT" cross drilled / slotted rotors, Borla S-type exhaust, Elite Engineering oil catch can, Nitto Invo Tires WWW. NY5THGEN.COM
Kendell347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Very cool! Just like the connector on the steering column that does the same thing! Great job! I just wired both my footwell lights to the 1 wire
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
SNV

Drives: 2013 BRM 1LS
Any pics on the one under the kick panel or the one on the steering column? Also when lights to you guys use?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
There is a thread or 2 on the one under the steering column - I'd have to search for it - look under DIY for footwell lighting. I'm using the AAC LED sticks. Work & look great! Both in Amber...

Search: Your friend. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1224402
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; Subthump; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
SNV

Drives: 2013 BRM 1LS
Thanks. Found it after I posted hehe. Was getting ready to go to bed so I was kinda lazy :(. Got up the energy to find it hehe. Even posted in the other thread before I seen your reply. Now off to bed because got work in 6 hours :(.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
camaroMSUfan

Drives: 2SS/RS Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
when u get time upload us some pics of it

Borla S-type exhaust
tinted windows
Kicker CVR 10" subwoofer
Planet Audio 400 watt amp
Custom Built Box for amp/sub
Cold Air Inductions C.A.I
camaroMSUfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
Jarhead
Semper Fi Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroMSUfan View Post
when u get time upload us some pics of it
I hope this helps> Please remove the worthless crap I'm Just givin you some back. I said I would post them later. See True to my word.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
So you did use the Flex Led?
Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #11
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

Drives: 1968 & 2010 SIM 2LT/RS Born 041509
I am going to attempt this in the next few days. Hopefully it will work out. Did you tap into any fuses in the panel, and did you run a wire down from the Dome Light?

This will be helpful info. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
Jarhead
Semper Fi Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1cobra View Post
I am going to attempt this in the next few days. Hopefully it will work out. Did you tap into any fuses in the panel, and did you run a wire down from the Dome Light?

This will be helpful info. Thanks.
No I did not tap into any fuses. LED lights draw such small amps that is is not necessary unless you are planning to run quite a few of them. If you look at my included pictures you will see that in the passenger side kick panel is a connector that you can very easily tap into for the necessary power. This is the wire that goes to the dome light. Also because this is already fused it is safe. If you need any help just PM me. I'll do what I can to help you out.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

Drives: 1968 & 2010 SIM 2LT/RS Born 041509
I'll take you up on that if I run into any problems.

If you think of any other tips please PM me, as it will be the next week or two before I can get this started. I am leaving town this weekend.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:59 AM   #14
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
Did you connect the two strips of LED in series or in parallel please.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #15
Jarhead
Semper Fi Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Did you connect the two strips of LED in series or in parallel please.

Thanks
Parallel
Old 03-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #16
TonyNo

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT, IBM
Nice find, Jarhead!
Old 03-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #17
rmnc3r

Drives: me up the wall.
I found 15" LED Light Bars for $9.98 at Walmart and 2 W5W / 194 Blue LED Dome Lights on EBAY for $3.49
offered by seller SIXITY.

Install was super easy. I did drill a hole in the sidewall (under the passenger kick panel) to have an easy place to screw the ground to. The Walmart Light Bars are 12V, so there is no Transformer and I parallel wired the two light bars and used a T-Tap for the hot leads and a circle connector(???) for the ground . I used a piece of stiff wire to fish the Driver's Side LED wire through the gap in the center console near the firewall, then ran the wire along the length of the Passenger side light bar and secured both with zip ties in the rectangular holes conveniently located at the bottom and just under the dash. I used a razor blade to shave away some insulation in the gray wire so the T-Tap didn't have to cut in to it.

(No pictures forthcoming because I don't have a camera, so don't ask)

Gotta love cheap mods! Thanks Jarhead!!

RixRad

Last edited by rmnc3r; 03-25-2010 at 11:42 AM.
rmnc3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #18
Jarhead
Semper Fi Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmnc3r View Post
I found 15" LED Light Bars for $9.98 at Walmart and 2 W5W / 194 Blue LED Dome Lights on EBAY for $3.49
offered by seller SIXITY.

Install was super easy. I did drill a hole in the sidewall (under the passenger kick panel) to have an easy place to screw the ground to. The Walmart Light Bars are 12V, so there is no Transformer and I parallel wired the two light bars and used a T-Tap for the hot leads and a circle connector(???) for the ground . I used a piece of stiff wire to fish the Driver's Side LED wire through the gap in the center console near the firewall, then ran the wire along the length of the Passenger side light bar and secured both with zip ties in the rectangular holes conveniently located at the bottom and just under the dash. I used a razor blade to shave away some insulation in the gray wire so the T-Tap didn't have to cut in to it.

(No pictures forthcoming because I don't have a camera, so don't ask)

Gotta love cheap mods! Thanks Jarhead!!

RixRad
Sweet, They really do look great at night!!!!! Glad I could help you out.
Robert
Old 04-15-2010, 08:52 PM   #19
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Thanks to this thread and another one I completed my install of my interior footwell lights. Had the overhead light and trunk light completed the night I brought my Camaro home from the dealer. The kit I used came from Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMEBDIX%3AIT
Attached Images

Last edited by rtcat600man; 05-02-2010 at 11:13 AM.
rtcat600man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #20
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Nice....
Old 09-19-2010, 11:03 PM   #21
1badtie

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss rs
nice
1badtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #22
xBlackout_Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Cyber Grey
thanks
xBlackout_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:16 AM   #23
Jeremeymt

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Inferno Orange
Lookin good. I installed mine to a switch so i can turn them on and off. This is great for those who want them to come on with the dome light!
Jeremeymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #24
Chad's ZL1
THERAPY

Drives: Red Rock Metallic ZL1
how did you wire the switch up
Chad's ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #25
1badtie

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss rs
where exactly is that connecter? on the passenger side to the right of where someones feet would be if they were sitting in the seat? and the dome light wire is the only gray wire right? i took off the molding by the door sill and found a gray wire im guessing thats it....
1badtie is online now   Reply With Quote