Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
Draak

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT-RS
LLT Oil Pressure & Oil Filter Questions

Question 1: What is the normal operating oil pressure range for the LLT engine?

We just got back from our 3000 mile oil change and I noticed that the mechanical console gauge is reading a little over 70 PSI whenever the motor does anything over 3000 RPM. It idles at 30 PSI at a stop light, but when I pull away from the light, the pressure builds up and it peaks at about 70 and hangs there until the RPMs come back down because the trans has shifted into 6th and the lockup kicked in (at 45 MPH and something like 1700 RPM). I don't remember it hitting this high of a pressure before under normal driving conditions, but to be honest, I also don't remember checking for what the pressure normally is either before I noticed this.

Question 2: Where is the oil filter?

I was looking for the usual spin-on can from AC-Delco, Purolator or Fram and I don't see one sticking off of the engine. Maybe it's a 'wet filter' element that is lurking in the aluminum can with the hex nut cast in it located next to the filler cap? I believe that's what it is because when I got home, there were fingerprints and spilled oil all over the sides of the aluminum can from today's oil change.

Car data, just in case: 2LT-RS with 6-speed auto trans.
Draak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
Draak

Did a little checking and looks like the pressure is normal, according to GM. But 70 PSI, even after it has warmed up to operating temps? Could be worse, could be next to nothing...

Still curious about the oil filter though.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
cschmidt1956

Drives: Too Little time to drive....
The Oil Filter is under that cap as you suspect. Pulled from the top of the bay. NO REASON that the mechanic should have spilled and left finger prints all over that.
The filter is a cartridge that goes in side. Shows bad form to have done that sloppy of a job on a new car. Was that a Dealer Oil Change?
cschmidt1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
I just completed my first oil change on my new 2 LT Camaro. Yes the filter is where you suspect. The oil pressure is normal at 70 psi until warm then drops to 30 when driving at normal speeds.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
DEW

Drives: Hoopdee
I use a 15/16" 6 point socket to remove the cast oil filter cap. Very easy oil change.

BUILD - 6/12/2009
Airaid V2, Flowmaster AT
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
Draak

Yep, it was a dealership oil change that we had an appointment for and it still took 2.5 hours to do. then I had to clean the spilled oil from the radiator support, the driver's inside and outside door handles and the oil filter housing (thanks for the input). I even had to polish out the oil smudge across the front end of the car at the hood / nose joint where the tech made an attempt to clean up by wiping the oil up with a shop rag the full width of the car (???). It basically left a thin, hazy film of oil across the nose. Good thing I installed that clear film 'bra' on the front end a couple of weeks ago...

And since a ton of dealerships of all makes in our area have gone out of business, the next closest Chevy dealer is about 40 miles away. So realistically, we are faced with taking it to this dealer, or going to a 'quick change' place that has oil trails leading down the road from their garage (as seen from Google Earth). I would like to do my own work, but having an official documentation trail of 'services performed' from a certified facility helps when it comes time to sell...
Old 04-18-2010, 06:24 AM   #7
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draak View Post
Yep, it was a dealership oil change that we had an appointment for and it still took 2.5 hours to do. then I had to clean the spilled oil from the radiator support, the driver's inside and outside door handles and the oil filter housing (thanks for the input). I even had to polish out the oil smudge across the front end of the car at the hood / nose joint where the tech made an attempt to clean up by wiping the oil up with a shop rag the full width of the car (???). It basically left a thin, hazy film of oil across the nose. Good thing I installed that clear film 'bra' on the front end a couple of weeks ago...

And since a ton of dealerships of all makes in our area have gone out of business, the next closest Chevy dealer is about 40 miles away. So realistically, we are faced with taking it to this dealer, or going to a 'quick change' place that has oil trails leading down the road from their garage (as seen from Google Earth). I would like to do my own work, but having an official documentation trail of 'services performed' from a certified facility helps when it comes time to sell...

Dealers and quick oil change places just don't care enough. This is somebody's pride and joy. It makes me sick to see those things happen. I trust no dealer to perform anything for me. I try and do everything myself. If I can't do it I call one of two friends to do it for me. Oil change is easy. Plenty of threads showing how. As for the documentation. I am saving the receipts, stapling the lid from the oil filter box to the receipt. I have a spread sheet on the computer with everything I have bought for this Camaro from day one. I also list the date, millage of every install. This is like a daily log.

Here is some of the list:
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
Draak

Well, it doesn't matter much about the dealership now... We drove by this evening and the lot is empty, with a 'closed for renovation' sign out front. When we checked around though, their website is gone (not down for repairs) and even Chevrolet.com isn't listing them as a valid dealer.Well, that's what happened to us with the Dodge dealership for our Magnum too. One minute we have a place to go for service and the next thing we know, poof! No more dealership...

Not good.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #9
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

TTT