Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #15
daphatgrant
June '10

Drives: '10 2SS/RS RJT
LOL @ genius at work , sorry to hear about the offending varmint though :(.

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
daphatgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #16
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
A few years ago, as an insurance adjuster, I had a claim on a near new Mercedes with chewed upper cowl wiring. The factory wiring harnes was replaced for about $6,000.
After finding acorns under the hood of my garaged SS this winter, I've found a remedy.
I took two large plastic sandwich bags, sliced long cuts in them and put several dryer sheets in each one. I taped them to the left and right wiring harness near the suspension towers and no more acorns or critters. I also put one in the glovebox and under the pass seat but I've since removed those now that I'm driving my car this Spring.
Believe me, this works.
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #17
import_killa

Drives: 2SS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by molloni View Post
Here's a new one...I was showing off my car to a neighbor, and when I opened the hood, I noticed that the left side of the clothy, felty, aft engine cover looked like it was chaffed or something. I don't have the plastic engine cover on, so I thought that part in the back must have been rubbing up against something. But glancing at the underside of the hood, I realized there wasn't anything for it to rub against, as nothing up there looked worn out.

Upon closer inspection, I realized it wasn't just a bit worn down, but there was actually a deep chunk missing! It's about four inches by two inches but 1/2inch deep. I can only assume that something was crawling around in the engine compartment scratching away at that cover! WTF!!! And this is after a few weeks ago when I changed my wife's oil in here Malibu that I found a shat load of acorn shells on to top of her engine.

I miss my old neighbor (rest his soul) who used to catch the squirrels and chipmunks and put them out of our misery.

I don't know what to make of this, but I guess that material will make a great nest for some little rodent. I only wish we let the cat out (but then I guess I would have paw prints on my ride, lol).

put a rubber snake on ur engine at night. this must be a northern thing
1 7/8 AR headers, roto-fab CAI with radiator, fuse box, and valve cover, cam, upgraded fuel system with 85lb injectors, under drive pulley, TVS 2300 S/C, muffler delete, aftermarket wheels, AAC headlights fogs sidemarkers footwell dome and trunk lights.....That's 659.9 RWHP 611.9RWTQ

T
import_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #18
molloni
Capt. Organization!

Drives: Black 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbean View Post
Too bad that stuff wasn't made in China,that would have killed him for sure.
That's really funny! Sad thing is, you're probably right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro4mybday View Post
...it happen to me a while ago ate my dam tach wire on my msd i couldnt start the car i was like wtf!!! saw the wire was eatten in 2 different places
That sucks. Nothing like being able to drive it one day, and then the next day, WTF? Why won't it start? At least you were able to find the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphatgrant View Post
LOL @ genius at work
LOL, you have no idea how old that ruler is...I think my mother got it for me when I was a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
A few years ago, as an insurance adjuster, I had a claim on a near new Mercedes with chewed upper cowl wiring. The factory wiring harnes was replaced for about $6,000.
After finding acorns under the hood of my garaged SS this winter, I've found a remedy.
I took two large plastic sandwich bags, sliced long cuts in them and put several dryer sheets in each one. I taped them to the left and right wiring harness near the suspension towers and no more acorns or critters. I also put one in the glovebox and under the pass seat but I've since removed those now that I'm driving my car this Spring.
Believe me, this works.
So did the insurance pay for that? Is it considered an "act of God" kind of thing? Would the warranty cover this?
As for the plastic bags, I would try it, but...it's my daily driver, and I would have to go out a few hours after getting home to give the engine time to cool down before I would be able to put the "repellents" in place. I suppose if this keeps happening, I will have to give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by import_killa View Post
put a rubber snake on ur engine at night. this must be a northern thing
And a large owl on the roof!

Thanks guys though for listening and offering advice. I appreciate it!
Old 05-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #19
Rockhead
Hoser.

Drives: 2018 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
My brother used to live in the city area of Baltimore. He always had to deal with mice crawling around his mustang and getting up into the engine and pooping all over it. It drove him insane! he put all kinds of traps out. Spring traps, glue traps it didn't matter there were so many and they were tough mothers! He found one that had been squished in a trap that had dragged itself all around the car. It looked like a murder scene (well I guess it kinda was) He was happy to buy a nicer house in a good area with a garage so he never had to deal with that again.
It looked like a murder scene (well I guess it kinda was) .

Back when I was working on the floor at the stealership webused to get complaints of the car vibrating when the hvac fan was on. Always found a dead mouse and some kind of nesting material. It looked like the mouse had gone on the tiltawhirl at 1000 mph. The look on there faces was always how do i get off this frickin ride. Also saw where they would pack dogfood in the exhaust. I wonder how many got baked before they plugged up a system and the car had to be brought in on a hook.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #20
rjcamaro
312 HP

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT
Dryer sheets and/or mothballs works.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #21
Rockhead
Hoser.

Drives: 2018 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcamaro View Post
Have you ever smelled mothballs?
Old 05-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #22
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcamaro View Post

Dryer sheets? I've never heard of that but it sounds like a good solution if it works. Keep out the rodents and keep your engine insulation fresh and bouncy

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #23
c6vettepilot

Drives: Victory Red/Black
One of the reasons I am driving a Camaro is that I had a mouse/mice get in my '05 SSR and die. The small cab of the SSR smelled like a dead body had been in it. I paid a repair shop to try and find it...they did everything but pull the dash. They even used a scope, after they pulled the radio, to see as far as they could and never found it. As the weather started to warm the smell got worse! So, I used some odor absorber and took it to the dealer to trade for my Camaro................
c6vettepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #24
riverrattcom

Drives: 2010 2SS RS SIM
I guess your Car has a true "Rat" Motor in it!
riverrattcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #25
light-my-firebyrd

Drives: 2010 camaro ss rally yellow
i work in pest control. here's what u do, either contact a local company or get online and order 'generation' mice bait blocks. this shit will kill mice and rats dead. place at least 2 to 4 bait boxes inside the area of your car and within days you will have instant kill. there is no residual poison effects with other animals either. this stuff has a 'grain' look to it and is very tasty for the rodents. good luck with it.
light-my-firebyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #26
Thrillz

Drives: 2019 Dodge Daytona R/T
I had a mice problem once i had 4 traps going at once for days. When all said and done the traps look like a murder scene must have killed 30 of the dam things. I used cheese wiz they have to lick it off no free rides with that stuff lol. Those dam thing multiply fast get on that problem now.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #27
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Yep clg_98ta: Chewed wires or any rodent damage is covered by your insurance policy. You have collision coverage and comp coverage on your vehicle. Comprehensive is "other than collision" as long as it's accidental &/or unintentional it's covered. The dryer sheets are also non toxic to humans- I called the BOUNCE company- Procter & Gamble and they said they are completely safe (unlike mothballs).
On a funny unrelated note: I once handled a property claim for my company where an insured cut down a large tree in his yard. It crashed right onto the roof of house house- The damage was covered by his homeowners policy as it was "accidental".
myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote