Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
How low can you DROP your Camaro for the street?

We are VERY excited to tell you that we just shipped out our entire first order of Pfadt Coilovers to our dealers/customers! We just thought it would be appropriate to show you the new look of our Pfadt Development car! What does everyone think?

We get this question a lot: How low can you drive your Camaro?
The pictures here represent the absolute lowest you can go on these units!

As a race engineering company, we really just did this for testing reasons, because we knew we designed enough travel in our Pfadt Coilovers to support driving at such a drastically low ride height. But we are here to tell you this is the DROP YOU CAN ACHIEVE with our new PFADT COILOVERS!

The most un-drivable aspect of this ride is that the front airdam is 2.25" from the ground! So you will run into problems in that respect, but not in the suspension travel. Click on only picture to go to our entire gallery of these shots. Then click again for full-size views. We will get some professional shots of this, as well as some video coming up.

Check the pics of some the coilovers before they got shipped out!

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
SS Matt

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, LS3, M6, CGM
That's pretty low! My LTs would just about scrape the ground that low. Pretty nice to see how log you can go if you wanted but probably most people would have a hell of a time with the car scraping on every driveway, speedbump, or small animal in the road!
SS Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
will69camaro

Drives: 1969 and 2010 Camaros
That looks awesome. What did you do about the inner fender liner? Mine is pretty low (not that low) and i'm close to the plastic fender on the front. Anyway to secure it further up? Already had to roll the edges of the front fenders MORE to give the 275s up front plenty of room for travel.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
NXC1978

Drives: 1LT/RS
That looks soo awesome! I wouldn't do it to mine (daily driver), but wow!
NXC1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
TCao

Drives: 2010 2SS RS, 2007 FJC
Installed mine last weekend and didn't set the ride height this low to make sure I can still get the floorjack out. I'm guessing you would have to remove the helper springs to go this low. Very high quality kit BTW.
TCao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
NXC1978

Drives: 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCao View Post
Installed mine last weekend and didn't set the ride height this low to make sure I can still get the floorjack out. I'm guessing you would have to remove the helper springs to go this low. Very high quality kit BTW.
Pics??
NXC1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
nice!..PM me model/kit w/ cost..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
that is nice.beautiful car also.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Matt View Post
That's pretty low! My LTs would just about scrape the ground that low. Pretty nice to see how log you can go if you wanted but probably most people would have a hell of a time with the car scraping on every driveway, speedbump, or small animal in the road!
Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro View Post
That looks awesome. What did you do about the inner fender liner? Mine is pretty low (not that low) and i'm close to the plastic fender on the front. Anyway to secure it further up? Already had to roll the edges of the front fenders MORE to give the 275s up front plenty of room for travel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXC1978 View Post
That looks soo awesome! I wouldn't do it to mine (daily driver), but wow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCao View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
Will Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
that is nice.beautiful car also.
Yeah we agree, we would never personally recommend this as the default ride height for the average street enthusiast. All we really wanted to stress is that it is perfectly drivable in terms of suspension travel, so you can ride home from a car show or whatever. But we will leave it up to the discretion of the Camaro owner to take any risks associated with scraping your front air dam and/or killing small animals on the road!

The helper springs were left in for these shots!

Also, this is a really good point that will69camaro reminded me of, this is using the OEM wheel/tire combination. We do not have any experience with this drop on anything otherwise!

Thanks for all the great comments guys! We appreciate it. Please take a look at the online gallery for more pics!
Old 05-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
Me too.

Include swaybars also please.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
Slammer

Drives: G8 Maloo
In the pic of the rear coilovers it looks like the shock is inverted
Is that right
If so was there a reason for this

The top mount does it just bolt into the factory top mount
This would have all the weight on the shock mount
Is the shock mount strong enough for this?

What spring rates are available for the front and rear
Is there just the one or a choice depending on how firm you want the ride
Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #12
REVOLUTIONSS

Drives: triple black Super sport
wow , that thing is low low.... nice job pfadt !!!
Old 05-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #13
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammer View Post
In the pic of the rear coilovers it looks like the shock is inverted
Is that right
If so was there a reason for this

The top mount does it just bolt into the factory top mount
This would have all the weight on the shock mount
Is the shock mount strong enough for this?

What spring rates are available for the front and rear
Is there just the one or a choice depending on how firm you want the ride
Yes this is very true! I apologize for the quasi copy/paste explanation from our website, but quite honestly, there is just no better explanation for it!

Part of the reason we can use standard sized race springs is our innovation in mounting the rear coil over. The factory uses a rubber mount for the shock shaft and a separate spring seat which takes a specific spring. Many other companies use this same arrangement and it is the reason spring rates are limited. Our system inverts the rear shock and integrates the shock and spring mount. This allows the use of standard springs and provides a smooth and low friction mounting system. The inverted design in both the front and rear coil over is responsible for the systems low un-sprung mass which enhances the suspensions ability to follow the contour of the road thus increases traction. This design also conveniently locates the damper adjustment on the bottom of the damper, in lieu of up top where it is way more inaccessible.

The OEM upper mount captures the top mount of the rear coilover. We have done an extreme amount of analysis and prototype testing to prove this mount is up to the task. This mounting system also allows for damper and spring travel on the same axis, at all times. We are the only manufacturer that accommodates this problem.

Another example of the Pfadt Coil Over flexibility is the ability to use common motorsport springs in both the front and rear. While many other coil overs on the market demand the use of custom wound springs, which limits you to a limited number of spring rates, our system has hundreds of spring rates available in 25 lb/in increments. We have developed a spring rate combination that will work for most people, but the flexibility is there for those that need it.

I hope this helps explain some details on our coilovers. There are many more, which I will be glad to explain if anyone has any questions. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #14
PfadtRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVOLUTIONSS View Post
wow , that thing is low low.... nice job pfadt !!!
Thank you!!