Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 05-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #15
2000v6

Drives: 2003 m3, 2000 camaro v6, 2004 s4
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckle_Tight View Post
Well first of all...ouch. I believe I have hung my head in shame enough now.
And for what it's worth, although I do like to play around a bit, I'm not one of those retards that do it near other people. When I did this (or anytime for that matter) the road was completely clear (there was a median separating the lanes), so I wasn't putting anyone in danger. And I'm always alone.
I kinda figured there'd be some flaming coming my way for this post, but thank you xsofa and Revo for being the only ones to give me something other than a lecture. Even though Revo lectured me too :P, but at least he had a lesson in there.

I gotta ask though, and please guys don't think I'm starting anything, I'm not that type of person. But what's the point of having a sporty car if you aren't gonna play with it?
I have three sporty cars, but I use the track. Fortunately, there are a few good tracks around nyc especially mmc. But seriously, you can't afford a weekend at the track or something?
2000v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #16
2000v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 WS6 TA View Post
Truth spoken, this dude is a professional.
Nah just a nyer some people say that the attitude sucks, I see it as speaking the truth.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #17
2000v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Definitely not saying you shouldn't enjoy the car man, you have to- why else would you buy a car that's more than just A-B? Just be smart about it, that's all. Carving corners, or a brief show of power at a light is one thing, drifting on a public road is another. By all means, enjoy the car bro, just be safe.
Best way to put it. If you want to take the t-tops off and maybe do a burnout at a red light then fine, but if you want to play "fast and furious" then that's what the track is for.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #18
White_Knuckle_Tight

Drives: 2001 Camaro V6
Yeah, a track would be absolutely amazing, but sadly I live in Eastern KY. Which, if you don't know, is like 400 years behind the rest of the world. I'll consider it nothing short of a miracle if there's a track within 8 hours of here.
And just to clear this up, I used the term "drift" just so everyone knew what I was talking about, but it wasn't anything crazy. I might've been goin 30-35 and all I did was did a little power over. I just haven't gotten used to it yet I guess.
White_Knuckle_Tight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #19
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
I understand where your coming from. I lived in SE Georgia and it was the same way. I don't condone "drifting" public roads, but in a controlled environment is better...not legal but you don't have the risk of injuring anyone besides yourself. here's something to help your technique:

1.what your doing is called a kensai drift and should be done at high speed(if you do not drift, your vehicle should experience severe understeer at this speed).

2. Turn your wheels sharply into the turn, and let off the throttle quickly. The cornering force of the vehicle combined with the loss of throttle will cause your vehicle to oversteer.

3. When your vehicle begins to lose traction, get on the throttle again quickly. This will overpower the wheels for the traction that is available, sending your vehicle into a drift.

4. When you feel the vehicle’s rear end kicking out, immediately countersteer the wheels to face straight with the road. Your vehicle will pull in the direction of the front wheels, as long as the wheels are still moving. Keep on the throttle. If you press the brakes or let off the throttle because your vehicle is in an extremely oversteered condition, you will spin out or leave the road.

5. When you wish to straighten out your car, after completing the drift, let off the throttle smoothly and straighten out the wheels as your vehicle kicks in line behind the front tires

Your issue may have been that you weren't on the throttle enought to keep from having traction. Also once your in the drift you need to have and keep the wheels countersteered facing the road to exit the corner properly...and if you suddenly gain traction you won't suddenly do a 180. If you've got a good angle in your drift (i think...I'm no expert) the angle of the wheels should be almost opposite the angle of the car.

Also check and see if the V6 camaro you have has an open diff. I believe that only the V6's with the Y87 package have the limited slip diff (torsen). Upgrade to a auburn limited slip diff, its the best for a v6 camaro with a stock rear. This help keep power to both wheels.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote