Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
Dowgg123

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Camaro Saved Me From A Ticket!

Hey everyone,
So tonight I was driving home from my friends house and I am going 60 in a 55. I've traveled this particular road so many times, I could do it with my eyes closed. BUT, I forgot and I guess overlooked one little detail in the course home: There is a speed zone in a section of the road. The speed drops down to 50MPH.

So there I am, going 60 in a 50 SPEED ZONE and I see a sheriff sitting, watching traffic go by (which happened to be me and 2 other cars, mind you it is 11:45 at night). I pass it realizing the speed change and I freak out, I KNOW he's coming for me. I get about a half a mile ahead of him, and I look in my rearview... I see him going extra fast, weaving in and out of the other 2 cars until he's right behind me. And by right behind me, I mean within a couple of feet.

I'm assuming he got so close to see my plates, but here's the part where the Camaro saved me. I'm pretty sure, either the fact that it was a camaro, OR I still had my temporary plate that reads 7/8/10 was what got him to leave. He was behind me for a good 30 seconds riding my butt, so I would like to think that he decided to give the new owner a break.

I've always hated that speed zone too, there is nothing in the speedzone that should require traffic to slow down, such as houses or businesses, so its pretty much a speed trap.

Anyway, I just thought I should share with you guys my story. And if by chance there is an officer that had a similar story like mine tonight, Thank you
Dowgg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
acamellis
IAMACE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black A6
Send a message via AIM to acamellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowgg123 View Post
Hey everyone,
So tonight I was driving home from my friends house and I am going 60 in a 55. I've traveled this particular road so many times, I could do it with my eyes closed. BUT, I forgot and I guess overlooked one little detail in the course home: There is a speed zone in a section of the road. The speed drops down to 50MPH.

So there I am, going 60 in a 50 SPEED ZONE and I see a sheriff sitting, watching traffic go by (which happened to be me and 2 other cars, mind you it is 11:45 at night). I pass it realizing the speed change and I freak out, I KNOW he's coming for me. I get about a half a mile ahead of him, and I look in my rearview... I see him going extra fast, weaving in and out of the other 2 cars until he's right behind me. And by right behind me, I mean within a couple of feet.

I'm assuming he got so close to see my plates, but here's the part where the Camaro saved me. I'm pretty sure, either the fact that it was a camaro, OR I still had my temporary plate that reads 7/8/10 was what got him to leave. He was behind me for a good 30 seconds riding my butt, so I would like to think that he decided to give the new owner a break.

I've always hated that speed zone too, there is nothing in the speedzone that should require traffic to slow down, such as houses or businesses, so its pretty much a speed trap.

Anyway, I just thought I should share with you guys my story. And if by chance there is an officer that had a similar story like mine tonight, Thank you

You're lucky

My first ticket ever was in my new camaro for doing 68 in a 65!
He said He didn't really want to write me up but no one in his department had pulled over a 5th gen. So i guess there was some twisted bet going on and I was stuck in the middle
But for the most part the majority of Cops are cool
acamellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by acamellis View Post
You're lucky

My first ticket ever was in my new camaro for doing 68 in a 65!
He said He didn't really want to write me up but no one in his department had pulled over a 5th gen. So i guess there was some twisted bet going on and I was stuck in the middle
But for the most part the majority of Cops are cool

hahahha thats funny ... but you would have won in court. so i wouldnt be to mad about it
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:31 AM   #4
theoneriggs

Drives: 10 Challenger R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
hahahha thats funny ... but you would have won in court. so i wouldnt be to mad about it
yeah man thats one ticket that should have been fought.
theoneriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:11 AM   #5
ART-2008

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro 6M, 2005 Lotus Elise
I'm a retired police officer.

I doubt most police officers would think "lets give this guy with a flashy new high performance car a break." If you are driving a new Camaro, "Life" has already given you a break. I would be more likely to give a "break" to someone who looks like he can't afford a ticket, someone driving a rattier car or truck who is on their way to work or has a load of kids.

More likely scenarios:

You said the officer was "watching traffic", he proably wasn't running radar. When your car went by, it was similar to a suspect vehicle the police were looking for. He caught up to you, ran your temp. tag, and discovered that you were not the wanted vehicle.

In Michigan, a temp. tag is just a piece of paper. He may have seen you go by and [at night] thought your car did not have a plate and/or was stolen. Again, once he caught up and saw your temp. tag, he backed off.

Another possibility, he did want to write you a speeding ticket, but got called off for a more important run.

Whatever the reason, congratulaions on your good fortune.
ART-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
skar

Drives: 2010 2SSRS headers/CAI/tune/corsa,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ART-2008 View Post

I doubt most police officers would think "lets give this guy with a flashy new high performance car a break." If you are driving a new Camaro, "Life" has already given you a break. I would be more likely to give a "break" to someone who looks like he can't afford a ticket, someone driving a rattier car or truck who is on their way to work or has a load of kids.

More likely scenarios:

You said the officer was "watching traffic", he proably wasn't running radar. When your car went by, it was similar to a suspect vehicle the police were looking for. He caught up to you, ran your temp. tag, and discovered that you were not the wanted vehicle.

In Michigan, a temp. tag is just a piece of paper. He may have seen you go by and [at night] thought your car did not have a plate and/or was stolen. Again, once he caught up and saw your temp. tag, he backed off.

Another possibility, he did want to write you a speeding ticket, but got called off for a more important run.

Or he realized it was happy hour at the donut shop.
skar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
RedJewelSS

Drives: six in a row makes it go
Quote:

More likely scenarios:

yea im not a cop but i was thinking somthing more like he thought you matched a description of another car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skar View Post
Or he realized it was happy hour at the donut shop.
not cool
1989 F-150 4x4/300 I6/M5ODR2
1982 mustang. 351W/414stroker C4 9" rear. bracket racer
1977 F-100 5.9L 12V Cummins conversion/NV5600
RedJewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:

More likely scenarios:

You must be in the minority of cops who think that way. Cops love to target the more broken down "rattier" car because odds are that person won't be able to afford a lawyer as well as the person with the brand new vehicle. I've been pulled over once in my Camaro, did 70 past a cop in a 30, all he asked me was whether it was a v8 or a v6. Had I been in my old tuner car he would have written me every ticket under the sun.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
98_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewelSS View Post

not cool

I feel like that's an unwarranted stereotype that lost its humor long ago.
Having family in the LAPD, I find this kind of disrespectful considering the kind of work they do.
2016 Summit White 2SS Coupe M6, NPP, & MRC
Now Driving:
2016 Torch Red Corvette 2LT, NPP, MRC
98_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
BTex68

Drives: 2010 SSRS
The donut jokes will always be funny. and very warranted!

A similar story of mine. There is a mile long bridge that goes to the barrier Island I live on and is really the only spot close to me where I can open it up.
I rounded the last curve before the bridge and when I saw there was no one in front of me I pressed my foot down. By halfway up I was doing 85. When I hit 90 I let off the gas since I don't like going over the peak of the bridge at that speed because of safety and the police wait for you on the other side with radar. I look back and saw a black car coming up quickly. By the time I was at the top he was beside me. He says into his intercom. "slow down a bit". I nodded with sheepish grin and he left. Not to exciting. but he gave me a break. He had to know I was flying up the hill.

I think they go for rattier cars not because they cant afford a lawyer, but rather target them as drug users. maybe? Im just guessing.
It seemed that way when I drove x-country. The cops with a dog would be circling the hippie van with a bunch of college people standing in a line watching.
BTex68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #11
skar

Drives: 2010 2SSRS headers/CAI/tune/corsa,
I have a brother- in- law who is a Detroit cop and he jokes about it all the time.
You are taking this way to serious.
skar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #12
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
well

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Camaro View Post

I feel like that's an unwarranted stereotype that lost its humor long ago.
Having family in the LAPD, I find this kind of disrespectful considering the kind of work they do.
just as uncool as stereotyping:

my 2 cents..nothin personal
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
skippyj03

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
i run a sandwich shop with several pork items on the menu, and 9 times out of 10, when officers come in or order delivery, it is for 1 of those items...sometimes stereotypes feed themselves
skippyj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #14
hypnatic

Drives: Victory Redhead
so i was driving my camaro the other night when suddenly i realized that there was a cop behind me. i look down n noticed that i was doin 45 in a 35. i thought $#!t, im gonna get pulled over . he followed me a few blocks and sure enough i saw the flashing light . i pulled over and he asked "do u know why i pulled u over?" and i replied "no officer" he pauses and begins to grin and says "i just wanted to get a closer look at ur car"... i felt so relieved turns out he had a camaro when he was younger and we stood out there talkin about cars for almost an hour!!! he was the coolest cop ive ever met
hypnatic is offline   Reply With Quote