Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #15
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
If it is paint chips then obviously something is hitting your car. Change your driving habits and see if that helps. I have had my car for over a year and have zero paint chips. It is not a daily driver, but we have taken her on three out of state trips. Zero damage.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #16
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
I'm not so sure it's an issue of the paint quality. With all of the time and energy spent by GM getting this car "right" prior to introduction, I can't see GM overlooking/settling for an inferior paint.

As some have inferred earlier, paint chips are just about inevitable if you drive your car at all. I've got a few in my '99 SS, and while I was a little upset at first, I've realized short of putting an ugly black bra on the car, they're unavoidable. So as a "rule of thumb", I NEVER get within 2 to 3 car lenghts of the car in front of me on freeways, I avoid trucks at all costs, etc., - these are just some measures to consider - but they don't guarantee you won't still get the occassional chip.

If you choose to contact the factory, get in touch with a GM factory rep., and proceed from there. I dealt with one, as well as my dealer, in the past to resolve a paint issue. They were great.

Good luck
Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #17
Silver ice SS

Drives: Silver ice Metallic 2SS/RS
I don't agree with the clear bra suggestion. Yes it may help with the prevention of paint chips, but why should we have to spend more cash on a BRAND NEW car? This is definitely a flaw in the paint. Not because of any tailgating, or stuff like that. I had a 2006 dodge charger, and it may have had one paint chip if any. I sold it when I picked up my camaro in March, and the paint on it looked better than my camaro does now. My camaro has at least 5-8 paint chips already. Definitely GM's paint.
Silver ice SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #18
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver ice SS View Post
Definitely GM's paint.
With all due respect, I'm not so sure...

Paint doesn't chip off from wind resistance...something has to hit it to cause it to chip.

I'm not trying to start an argument with ya'......we'll agree to have differing thoughts/opinions on why someone gets "chips" in their paint.

Ed
Old 07-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #19
Silver ice SS

Yes I agree with you totally on the fact that something has to hit the paint in order to chip it, but the DURABILITY of the paint on these camaros is significantly lower than the paint on any other car I have owned.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #20
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver ice SS View Post
Yes I agree with you totally on the fact that something has to hit the paint in order to chip it, but the DURABILITY of the paint on these camaros is significantly lower than the paint on any other car I have owned.
I'm wondering if it has something to do with what goes into the paint seeing as it has to remain "flexible" as the nose is a flexible piece of the body?

Also, looking at the nose of the 5th Gen., it's "upright" design surely can lead to hitting more debris directly versus a design more "streamlined", ie; Corvette.

It's a topic of much debate...but do what ya' can; avoid following too closely, get a number of coats of a good wax/polish on the car, and accept it's a "fact of life".

Ed
Old 07-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #21
hypnatic

Drives: Victory Redhead
not a paint chip BUT... i accidently scratch the back of my hood with the wipers, i took the car in for an unrelated matter (service bulletin). when i dropped off the car, the dealership noticed the scratches and asked me how it happened. i told them the story and when i went back to pick up my car they fixed the scratches for free. talk to ur dealer, cant hurt
hypnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #22
Silver ice SS

This issue is lose/lose IMO. Either we stay back and not tailgate, (smh) so that we accumulate paint chips at a slower rate, or spend hundreds on a clear bra. None of us should HAVE to just to avoid tons of paint chips. And GM will never admit to this problem, nor will they fix it for us. Highway robbery at it's best.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #23
DHUGHF
Dallas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I have a black ss. I have the same problem. I drive mine once a week.I have had it since Oct. of 2009 & it only has 1650 miles. I have some on hood which can make some since. But I also have some on roof & flat surface of rear fender. Those do not make since. One spot is not a chip but the paint is cracked (looks like a dried up lake bottom). I have contacted my dealer did not get anywhere.So GM customer service is envolved now but have not heard anything back yet.
DHUGHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:01 AM   #24
Silver ice SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHUGHF View Post
I have a black ss. I have the same problem. I drive mine once a week.I have had it since Oct. of 2009 & it only has 1650 miles. I have some on hood which can make some since. But I also have some on roof & flat surface of rear fender. Those do not make since. One spot is not a chip but the paint is cracked (looks like a dried up lake bottom). I have contacted my dealer did not get anywhere.So GM customer service is envolved now but have not heard anything back yet.
I also have maybe 2 near the roof moulding.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #25
Silver ice SS

This is happening to 5th Gen camaro owners far too much for it to come from tailgating or anything like that. I rarely drive on any type of dirt or gravel road. It simply is a paint defect/flaw.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #26
Moose

Contact a GM factory rep.

If there is a reoccurring problem/problem with the paint quality, I believe from past experience in dealing the GM and my dealer, that a resolution, satisfactory to all, can be reached.

I had a paint problem which surfaced well after my Camaro was out of warranty. I did my homework (found a TSB concerning the issue) contaced the GM factory rep., as well as the manager of the bodyshop, and my issue was resolved within a week.

If there is a problem with the paint quality, I believe GM will correct it. If it's a problem considered "normal wear and tear", good luck.

Ed
Old 07-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #27
DHUGHF
Dallas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
GM customer service told if i have not heard from them or my dealer by mon. to call them back and they will call the district manager in my area go over the head of the shop supervisor at the dealership. If problem is not taken care of I am going to contact a lawyer to find out what my opitions are.
DHUGHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #28
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
I have a lot of chips on mine as well, not sure it is a quality issue though. I drive the car every day and it is bound to happen. A lot of construction going on here ...

Now as far as paint quality .. I don't' think GM is up to part at least on my car. I have said it a few times, I have clear coat runs, dirt under the paint or clear coat , fish eyes .. etc ... I just can't stand to give my baby back to get it worked on so I'm not sweating it ..

Crowley