Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
swansor

Drives: 2010 2SS ABM
Send a message via ICQ to swansor Send a message via Yahoo to swansor
MBRP exhaust rattle

Thought I would post this in case anyone else is having issues with the MBRP exhaust system not staying secure and causing a rattle against the cross tunnel brace.

I was able to fix this (although I consider it a temp fix) by adding a bolt to the drivers side MBRP exhuast where it clamps to the OEM exhaust below the cat. The original exhaust has a pin protruding from it that holds/allows it to latch onto the clamp and keep it from coming loose. Without the pin the butt joint clamp comes loose and causes the remaining MBRP clamps to slip and allow the exhaust to sag and hit the cross tunnel. The pin on the passenger side is reversed and is on the OEM exhaust side so the clamp can latch onto it.

Edit: I have contacted MBRP for a permanent solution and am waiting to hear back from them

Here are some pics
Attached Images

Last edited by swansor; 11-28-2010 at 10:19 AM.
swansor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Is the OE clamp on tight? Never had that problem with mine. I used anti seize and impact to tighten.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Dosin

Drives: 2010 2SS RS black ground effects
I have this problem and added longer bolts with washers to lower the strut bar. I called MBRP because it still rattles. I am waiting to hear back from them. The rattle is so annoying that hopefully a solution will be found.
Dosin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
FRANK121

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
I would loosen everything up and put in about a 1" or more spacer between the frame plate and your exhaust pipes, then re-tighten everything back up, loosen the frame plate and re- tighten the plate. You should end up with 1" or mare gap then.

Thats what I did with my x-pipe install and no noises yet. I also had it welded on so nothing could come loose or leak.
Never been Dynoed
FRANK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Dosin

Drives: 2010 2SS RS black ground effects
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK121 View Post
I would loosen everything up and put in about a 1" or more spacer between the frame plate and your exhaust pipes, then re-tighten everything back up, loosen the frame plate and re- tighten the plate. You should end up with 1" or mare gap then.

Thats what I did with my x-pipe install and no noises yet. I also had it welded on so nothing could come loose or leak.
I actually did everything you said except the welding. I have a lot of washers and loosened everything on the lift. Then I pushed it all the way up and tightened everything. Still rattles. ????????
Dosin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
swansor

Drives: 2010 2SS ABM
Send a message via ICQ to swansor Send a message via Yahoo to swansor
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting808 View Post
Is the OE clamp on tight? Never had that problem with mine. I used anti seize and impact to tighten.
I tightened the bolts on the OE clamp with a normal ratchet at first then bought a 18" breaker bar and broke the bolts. I dont believe anti sieze compound would have helped due to the force that the motor puts on the exhuast when at WOT but I didnt try that. since making the modification I have been running fine with no rattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK121 View Post

You cant imagine how many times I loosened everything up, put in the spacer etc. It kept coming loose by the drivers side OE clamp and then eventually affecting the MBRP clamps. I read elsewhere about welding it but when I brought it to an exhaust shop they strongly recommended I didnt as it would ruin the OE clamp which by the way is not available through GM. I had the exhaust shop replace the OE bolts with hardened bolts so they wouldnt break and they cranked it down to no avail. Lasted about 4 days.

I think there is a reason GM puts the pin for the clamp in opposite directions to off set the force of the push pull effect. MBRP R/D team says my idea should work but yet they dont think their is a need for it?????

I did send a follow up email to MBRP since they didnt bother to let me know what they found out. Here is their reply:

Hi Scott sorry for the slow response time,

I did talk to the R&D department and they thought your idea of the pin should work. to date you are the only one with the system coming loose on a daily basis and R&D has decided not to change anything at this time.
Has your system gave you any trouble since your modification ?
i would be happy to let the D&R department know you fix the issues your self
please let me know
thank you

Last edited by swansor; 11-29-2010 at 12:56 PM.
swansor is offline   Reply With Quote