Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-16-2010, 12:15 AM   #71
ColdCamaroSS

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARYSSS View Post
Sounds to me like he has a plan and a budget to put him in a good position in 4 years, having 3 fairly new vehicles and down payment money for a house. This is better than a lot of people are doing.
+1, the kids got a plan, a decent income,and probably good credit.
ColdCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #72
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Glad you are holding off buying a house, you probably would not qualify for a mortgage. Your debt/income ratio is probably well past the danger zone. When you decide to have kids, save up for that tan minivan.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7226_calculate-debt-income.html
i just did that ratio, mine is a 0.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletman View Post
Ramsey says drive a beater and pay cash for your new car. Payments allowed on your house only. I'M DEBT FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if only i wasn't a car nut, i would still be driving my 1998 dakota i bought when i was 16 with lawn mowing cash, i drove it for 7 years, from July 09 to July 10 it was my DD while i had the camaro, and i gave it to my younger brother when i bought my new truck in august.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texhawk View Post
If you buy a car based on what reaction you will get from other people, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.
I buy cars I like, and drive them for 10-15 years until another car comes out that I like better. As it turns out, I have had only Camaros and Corvettes for 45 years.
i think i wrote the original post wierd cuz i did not buy the car because it was exclusive and was a head turner. i bought the car because it was completely different from past designs, fast, affordable, and was a chevy; that was a win, win for me so i liked it and wanted it. i did not experience that exclusivity and head turning reaction until after purchasing the car. while i lived in Oklahoma, there were maybe 2 or 3 other camaros in town compared to thousands and thousands of mustangs. i move back to texas to one of the wealthier towns in the state and there are so many new camaros on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markal View Post
SELL IT...you don't deserve a new Camaro....period!!!! Go ahead and get a car that people won't look at twice....thats what you deserve.....yeah....go ahead....I wanted to say so much more but, nah....I love my Camaro! Its plain to see that you don't.....but, after you see all the Camaro addulation at car shows compared to other cars....you'll ask yourself...why did I get rid of it????

Debt: Debt enables me to afford my needs....I owe....I pay...a small amount for something expensive....over time.....I have to pay a bit more in interest....SO!!! Its only money and I can afford a certain amount of debt and interest.....debt can be good and avantageous....ex. I don't own my house but I will after 20 yrs. of payment (now only 4 more years and the house and land is mine)...my car...the bank really owns it but they don't drive it...I do....it is mine and will be fully mine after 5 years of payments....yeah...debt can be a good thing if handled correctly....otherwise I would not have a house or car. I owe....so....I pay....so....so....so...I can live a good life with debt that is payed on time....and life is good. I can't afford a Vette but, I don't need or want one....now, an F1 McLaren....If only I had the money.......
i'm not going to get in a pissing match with you over this, but treating debt as a tool only causes you to never pay that stuff off and build more wealth. most millionaires are debt free, normal working class citizens. the reason they are millionaires is because they didn't go out and buy a house 9 times their salary, finance 3 cars, and rack up credit card debt like most americans would. i admit, i am financing 3 cars, but then i read that book and i completely changed the way i spend my money. i plan to be debt free before i'm 30; the extra money i save from not paying car notes will turn into A LOT of money 10, 20, 30 years down the road. if you don't believe me check this out:

http://www.daveramsey.com/media/flas...ee/player.html

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #73
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 Machine View Post

You are in no way doing things the Dave Ramsey way if you buy an Srx. Congrats on finding the DR plan. Now listen to him and follow it! Dude you can be so rich in the future if you and your wife sacrifice a little bit today. Why be normal and have car payments like everyone else? Be abnormal, pay off all your debt, and pay cash for your cars. DR seriously changed my life, I hope he does the same for you. Good luck!

Tim
2011 1SS/RS
I paid cash for my car, also my Z06
yeah, well i didn't get the book until AFTER i bought my 3rd car! and it is too tough for me to let the Camaro go, especially since i'm able to pay well above minimum on all my bills.

the used 2010 SRX deal didn't go through. it had more imperfections than my wife's 2006 SRX. so she's back at wanting a new 2011, and i told her i wasn't going to sell my camaro so she could have a brand new car, even though we would be saving a few extra bucks each month. i promised her once her 2006 reached 100,000 miles we could start looking again. who knows by that time she might want something different again! women

Old 12-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #74
timcat4843

Drives: 2008 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post

Well, that's my rant, i've really had a "come to Jesus" moment with owning her.
I love the car, but a few years from now when i'm debt free and have a house,
I should be able to pay cash for that Corvette i've always wanted!
Hope you finally get that Corvette you've always wanted.
Camaros are cool but nothing beats driving a Vette.

timcat4843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #75
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
If it's head turning you want, I have to say that my Camaro still gets massive attention at the local car show. Vettes get almost none. (maybe part of the attention mine gets is the Megan Fox engine cover), but it still draws a crowd. Do something unique to it, and not all of it is expensive.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #76
timcat4843

Drives: 2008 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza7 View Post
If it's head turning you want, I have to say that my Camaro still gets massive attention at the local car show.
Vettes get almost none.
I find that hard to believe.

Even disillusioned security guards can't resist the temptation of stealing a brand new
638hp Corvette ZR1 and taking it for a joy ride.

timcat4843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #77
crystalRider

Drives: Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by THA K1NG View Post
lol you ORIGINALLY buy the camaro cuz its new FRESH and turns heads..
you KEEP the camaro for every other THING or PERSON or C5 family it brings to you.
you keep it cuz its YOUR car...the car you put ur TIME into...its not JUST A CAR..its YOU.
what a softass...If your car is the only thing that defines "YOU" then you need to go out and make some friends dude
crystalRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #78
Tiberious
Old '71 Owner

Drives: 11 Camaro Vert;97 Malibu;03 Venture
That's a very nice looking 'vett, congrats on that!

Tib
Tiberious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #79
GARYSSS

Drives: 2010 2SSRS M6 Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by timcat4843 View Post
I find that hard to believe.

Even disillusioned security guards can't resist the temptation of stealing a brand new
638hp Corvette ZR1 and taking it for a joy ride.

And to think we were worried about test drives in our cars.
GARYSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #80
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Timcat...That's the way it is at the shows I go to in Phoenix. The vette guys go to them, but most don't. The t buckets get attention, along with real customized stuff, but pony cars seem to get the most. Don't know why, ours don't cost nearly as much.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #81
LS1owner

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS- SOLD!!
The only debt I don't do is credit card debt. Cars, house, large items paid for over time. I don't care of this book, if you want to follow that guys plan, great, if you don't, you can still be a "smart" financial person.
LS1owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #82
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1owner View Post
The only debt I don't do is credit card debt. Cars, house, large items paid for over time. I don't care of this book, if you want to follow that guys plan, great, if you don't, you can still be a "smart" financial person.
its a major lifestyle change. most people don't want to give up the laps of luxury that they pay month to month. that's fine as long as you can afford it don't live beyond your means.

i've only lived those days for a little over a year before i decided if i want to live even better than that in the future when i have a family, i'm going to tighten that budget down and pay everything off now before it spins out of control.

i hopefully still have lots of time on this earth, so i'll figure out which lifestyle i'd prefer once i've experienced both.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #83
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 Machine View Post

You are in no way doing things the Dave Ramsey way if you buy an Srx. Congrats on finding the DR plan. Now listen to him and follow it! Dude you can be so rich in the future if you and your wife sacrifice a little bit today. Why be normal and have car payments like everyone else? Be abnormal, pay off all your debt, and pay cash for your cars. DR seriously changed my life, I hope he does the same for you. Good luck!

Tim
2011 1SS/RS
I paid cash for my car, also my Z06
I did what DR said to do before i heard of him, And now i buy things only for cash, i have no CC at all and all i have is my monthly utility and Insurance bill's, Life is better than i deserve.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #84
ljones

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
Not sure I want to even admit this...

I drove a 86 Cutlass for over 5 years. I had a great job and I still drove that Cutlass. When that car started to die, i started looking for a new car.

I wanted a few nice cars at that time after I finished college. I opted for a Dodge Stratus R/T because the car was only 14k used, lol. Wasn't exactly what i wanted, but it was decent, and it was fully loaded compared to everything else around that price.

I saved a good amount of money over the years because of the early steps I made after school. I like financially stability, with the means to adapt in event of an emergency or misfortune. Life happens, and being "able" to adjust to those changes are key.

Had I known what i know now back in college, I would be that much better off. My ass owned a Stratus, I was a humble dude, lol. Will Ferrell didn't make it any easier, those SNL skits were painful.