Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #29
carbon8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS,2008 Hayabusa
Of course by ruining your cars, it makes mine more valuable when it gets passed down to the kids when I die.[/QUOTE]

carbon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #30
FLYBOY

Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS A6
I was watching those storms last night, pretty nasty. A storm popped up at my house last night in Tonganoxie, golf ball sized hail. I've been doing some landscaping around my house and had a small tractor inside the garage, so my car had been sitting outside the last few days. I went to fire it up, dead battery...By now I'm freaking out, so I fired up the lawnmower (with flat tires, go figure) and moved it out of the way, jumped in the car and barely fit it inside before the bigger hailstones hit. My truck got smacked but the Camaro is ok.
FLYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #31
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDragonVT View Post
I feel your pain, see my signature.

Now that really sucks...almost as bad as "it fell off the truck"
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #32
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDragonVT View Post
I feel your pain, see my signature.
Man! That's like watching the anvil fall on Wylie Coyote. Ouch!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #33
Fat_Nick

Drives: 04 Pontiac GTO
Ugh Mother Nature's been on rampage here lately. We had softball size hail here @ the Gf's house (N Ft. Worth) on May 24th.

Hopefully you'll have your baby back soon.

RK Sports Rear Valance|Banshee Hood|WSC SAP Grills & Front Fascia|VX Tails|Spoiler Delete|DDM HID|Alpine & JL Audio ICE|Monster Stage 3|GMM Street/LSS/Hurst|TxSpd-MS4 CAM & 100mm MAF|SLP UD Pulley|Custom Exhaust|Kooks LT|SNL Custom 4" CAI|PRC Stage 1 Heads|WRP & SSEEYA Ported FAST 92mm IMF|92mm FAST TB|Phoenix Tuned 474.4whp 410 ft/lbs

New Project Vehicle Coming Soon
Fat_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #34
bthomp01

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
Yikes... maybe I should look into porting my car in Austin...

Matte Black Bumblebee Stripes - Unpainted Heritage Grille - Blacked Out Bowties - Stainless Works S-Tube Catback - CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake
Whiteline Rear Cradle, Rear Differential, Front Radius Rod Bushings - BC Racing BR Coilovers - Installed by Whiteside Customs

bthomp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #35
aldaron327
Onward and Upward.

Drives: '13 Equinox LTZ AWD,'09 Silverado
Send a message via MSN to aldaron327 Send a message via Yahoo to aldaron327
First, let me say thanks to those that offered their well wishes. It was even worse seeing the damage in the sun. I'll take pics as soon as I get home from work. I'm also going to try and upload my video to youtube tonight.

Let me also say that I'm not crazy enough to run out into a hail storm just to move my car when my family is safely indoors. When I got to the garage and saw what looked like a baseball bounce off (and shatter) my truck's windshield, I changed my mind about getting out from under cover and resigned my vehicles to their fate.

As for some of the other comments, e.g:

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmule View Post
I never understood why people clutter their garage with junk so they can't keep their high dollar investments protected.

That reminds me of:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REEFBLUE93 View Post
I would find a storage unit for some of the tools then. I have a car that's nearly 20 years old and it never sleeps outside. Unless you run a repair shop out of your home, rearrange the garage and park the $35K plus car inside......

I'll just tell you a little about my situation. I basically house-sit for my in-laws. They teach school up in Alaska 9 months out of the year and have stuff already stored not only in a storage shed, but also in their garage. Speaking of the garage, in order to fit my Camaro in there, I'd not only have to re-arrange it, but I'd have to rent a jack-hammer and chip away the 1 foot tall by 2-3 foot deep concrete lip that was poured along the interior wall of the garage. The car sticks out too far whether I back it in or pull it in nose first because of that one fatal flaw in the garage's design. My Silverado Crew Cab doesn't even fit through the door, so it's always going to live outside as long as we live in the house. Again, this isn't my house, but I don't pay rent. Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good.

To me, it's worth the risk of hail damage considering I'm saving at least a mortgage payment a month toward building my house. I purchased the 28 acres I own with cash and intend to put as much cash down on my home as I can to limit my mortgage payments. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I can't afford what I have PLUS a nice house. I just would rather pay as little interest as possible. Both my wife and I work and have good jobs, we're just cheap.

-Tim
MODS: CAI by CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back, DBA 5000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Front), Hawk HPS Pads, Russell Braided Brake Lines, DBA 4000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Rear), Barton Short-Throw Shifter, UM Comp Extractor Hood & Gen I Spoiler, custom paint
aldaron327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #36
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldaron327 View Post
...As for some of the other comments, ...

I'll just tell you a little about my situation. ... -Tim
You really didn't owe anyone an explanation, but it did make for an interesting read.

Good luck with the hail damage.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #37
HeatherR

Drives: 2009 CTS, 2008 Solstice GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Nick View Post
Ugh Mother Nature's been on rampage here lately. We had softball size hail here @ the Gf's house (N Ft. Worth) on May 24th.

Hopefully you'll have your baby back soon.
Yep, that storm took out 2 of our cars....

My CTS and my husband's CTS-V Coupe...

Try getting anyone to fix them for a couple weeks-a lot of cars were hit. We're just lucky that our glass is ok...letting rain in would have really sucked.
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #38
Z28RockStar

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM 6M, 2007 Harley Deluxe
Unhappy Sorry about the hail damage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb525 View Post
We were supposed to get hail this am in MA. Heard the storm coming, ran outside and this is what I came up with. Half inflated air mattress, egg crate, and towels. No hail, but I'll be better prepared for next time!
Man I will just say to the OP I'm very sorry about the damage and very glad everyones OK! To DJB I have a friend with no garage and you had the same idea as he did! He used almost exactly what you did but also had some straps and bungies to hold in place in wind, we had hail and it worked like a charm, he also parked his dually under a huge tree in my front lawn and was spared damage there as well. As for me I spent an entire day when I got my Camaro cleaning out the garage, she will never spend a night outside or see a storm! OH edit: Same for my Harley!

Old 06-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #39
edgar3

Drives: 2010 2SS
so sorry to hear that.

XSPower Longtube + Catback "Engine to Tip" polished steel
VMAX ported Throttle Body
160 degree thermostat
Street Tune East Coast Supercharging
Cold Air Inductions
TRex Phantom Black Billet Grill. Upper and lower
Custom Badging
Lloyd Floors mats
splash guards
Underhood Engine bay done
AAC LED mailslot strip lights
Flowing Cheese Fondue waterfall in console
Various food items to dip into warm cheese
edgar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #40
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3 RS IOM
My baby sports 20 or 30 new dimples thanks to the hail storm that hit DFW last week while I was in NY.

Mary - Orange Camaros Rule!
mhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #41
aldaron327
Onward and Upward.

Drives: '13 Equinox LTZ AWD,'09 Silverado
Send a message via MSN to aldaron327 Send a message via Yahoo to aldaron327

My first attempted imbed of a video from YouTube. If it's messed up, somebody help me out. Thanks.

-Tim
MODS: CAI by CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back, DBA 5000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Front), Hawk HPS Pads, Russell Braided Brake Lines, DBA 4000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Rear), Barton Short-Throw Shifter, UM Comp Extractor Hood & Gen I Spoiler, custom paint
aldaron327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #42
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
had to suck to watch that happening and not be able to do anything about it...sucks man!
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote