Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #1
bhut

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Car goes in tomorrow for trans check

This Japanese AY-6 is the notchiest manual transmission. I occasionally grind 2nd, but my biggest issue is with third gear. That synchro is pitiful at any speed. Grinds intermittently though, so I'm just waiting to hear how they couldn't find anything wrong with it, lol. This is the 7th manual car I've owned - god knows how many I have driven. This AY-6 ranks up there with the '29 Model A truck I occasionally drive and an old Mercedes bus I drove overseas 15 years ago. The '29's transmission is 80 years old and lacks synchros (double-clutching is your friend), and the bus had a quarter million hard KM on it.
Will see what they come up with.
bhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
piticu667

Drives: 2010 Camaro
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...295403135&ap=1
Make sure you join the group please.
Its more effective than customer service.
piticu667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
bhut

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Surprise, surprise

I got the response I expected, which was could not duplicate. "Two of our people drove it and could duplicate the issue you describe." I told my service advisor that was exactly what I expected to hear from them. I'm sure after driving and working on cars for 20 years, I still don't know what I'm doing.

I'll drive it a while longer until the intermittent grind becomes the norm. Wait long enough, grind often enough, and even one of the technician's kids could diagnose the issue.

I purposely bought a M6 because I like to drive and love the control of a manual. This transmission is ruining all of that. Now I just wait for the grind, the bind, the missed shifts... and apparently excuses from service staff.
bhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:49 AM   #4
piticu667

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhut View Post
I got the response I expected, which was could not duplicate. "Two of our people drove it and could duplicate the issue you describe." I told my service advisor that was exactly what I expected to hear from them. I'm sure after driving and working on cars for 20 years, I still don't know what I'm doing.

I'll drive it a while longer until the intermittent grind becomes the norm. Wait long enough, grind often enough, and even one of the technician's kids could diagnose the issue.

I purposely bought a M6 because I like to drive and love the control of a manual. This transmission is ruining all of that. Now I just wait for the grind, the bind, the missed shifts... and apparently excuses from service staff.
Yeah no surprise there join our FB group/.
piticu667 is offline   Reply With Quote