Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #57
MannyC

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
I'm not even following this thread too closely, and I understand what he was trying to say. Basically, if it were common for retreiver to kill people, there would obviously be more reports about it, like pitbulls.

I hope this was just a troll attempt...

Just because thats what hes trying to say doesnt make it true. We are pointing out that these are what hes HEARD. I hope that ^^^ was just a troll attempt.
MannyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #58
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
That was interesting on the bite strength, I would have thought Pit, ROTT, then Shepard. Turns out is Rott, Shepard, Pitt.

Cheers
k
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #59
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Any dog of mine that did that sort of damage to my wife, gf, whatever, would end up digging a bullet out of its skull.

NO dog would get away with that crap at my house. That's not really an opinion, that's just what I would do. You may do things different. Lucky I don't own the dogs, or I guarantee you one of them wouldn't be alive right now. And I love dogs. Got two ourselves. But I also have a line they best not cross. If they go to kill mode, I will too.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #60
MannyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriartii View Post
MannyC I hope you get this taken care of as you seem to be sitting on a powder keg here. I think these dogs are one of the more beautiful animals as well as the more maligned breeds out there. One of my favorite breeds is the Stafford-shire Terrier, a brindle. Simply gorgeous!!

These animals are great dogs but do have an inherent tendency to be a bit more quick to light off than other breeds and with their strength it can look like violence. I do agree with HeRS in that the shock collar is/was a BAD idea. Positive reinforcement is much better than the negative of the shock collar. As the saying goes, there are rarely bad dogs only bad owners.

I think in reading through these posts there may be some behaviors on both the human side and the animals side that need to be trained out. I have had more than one dog in my 39 years; I started out as a bad owner and have learned over the years how to be a better one. There is a huge difference with training and education.

Again good luck and I am very glad your g/f didnt get hurt too bad and you got the whole authorities thing taken care of.
Cheers
K
I definately am no expert in training dogs, but I am open to suggestions and do want to become a better owner. Just curious, but are you opposed to the shock collar because you see it as cruel or because of inaffectivness?
Old 07-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #61
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I'm not even following this thread too closely, and I understand what he was trying to say. Basically, if it were common for retreiver to kill people, there would obviously be more reports about it, like pitbulls.

I hope this was just a troll attempt...
My point has nothing to do with any specific breed being more prone to attacking people than others. My point is that any breed can be vicious if the owner is a dumba$$.

Sure, the smaller toy dogs have more lee-way because they don't have the bite strength to harm anything more than your furniture. But correlating a dogs bite strength to its viciousness is a fallacy.

A purely vicious dog, in the true definition of the term, is completely the product of piss-poor training and a dumbass owner, regardless of the breed.

EDIT: In the particular instance that the OP portrayed, however, the incident has more to do with the girlfriend making a mistake in handling.

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #62
MannyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Any dog of mine that did that sort of damage to my wife, gf, whatever, would end up digging a bullet out of its skull.

NO dog would get away with that crap at my house. That's not really an opinion, that's just what I would do. You may do things different. Lucky I don't own the dogs, or I guarantee you one of them wouldn't be alive right now. And I love dogs. Got two ourselves. But I also have a line they best not cross. If they go to kill mode, I will too.
I was right there with you too. I was upset and didnt know what to expect when I got home. But theres no way I could ever harm those dogs. If they hurt someone, it is my fault. Im not going to end their life when its something I can/wll correct.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #63
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyC View Post
Just because thats what hes trying to say doesnt make it true. We are pointing out that these are what hes HEARD. I hope that ^^^ was just a troll attempt.
dude, calm down. i know thats just what he's heard. I'm just saying, anyone that believes a dog can detach some of his jaw to help chew while his front teeth are stationary, is pretty dumb. It was in no way a bad comment towards the author of the website.

I will say the "A Dose of Reality" page is pretty pathetic. A great one sided list of statistics. I love how people post statistics that only try to validate their opinion, but don't show all sides to try to help their case. For instance, he starts out by saying there's no accurate or NEAR accurate census of how many dogs in the U.S. But then he goes ahead and pulls a number out of his arse. and starts going by that number and getting percentages. All of which are invalid because of his first sentence! lol

And then he starts comparing a pitbull to other ways people die, instead of comparing them to a terrier of some kind, or retreiver, etc. I mean, who's going to buy a coconut for a pet? or a palm tree?

And then he goes and compares deaths by pitbulls to how many dogs have bitten humans, or other mammals, etc. really? It's just a lot of useless info that any half smart person can see is a bunch of BS. I'm i'm barely half smart. lol

What he needed to do, was get the statistics of deaths and/or bites from pitbulls and compare them with other breeds. Not just to Rotts and Dobbies, because no one is saying they aren't dangerous either. I would think this evidence would significantly help his case. Wonder why he didn't write about any of that.

And for the record, before I get flamed by the OP and other pro pitbull enthusiasts, I don't really care either way. People will have their own opinions. It was just an observation that i saw in that website. I am not partial in any way towards or against pit bulls. never had a problem with them.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #64
Yellow2010

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS 2010
I have had many different breeds of dogs through the years and all of them at some time got into a fight with another dog. As a teenager I had a cocker and a boxer. Two completely different dogs personality wise. They got into a fight, my dad tried to break it up and he got bite. Like everyone has said never get between two dogs fighting. I have another boxer now and everyone assumes that she is mean and vicious. She has never bitten anyone but could she? Absolutely, I am sure if the circumstances were right she would bite that ass. All big dogs as a whole get a bad rap especial the pit bull. If ask any vet they will tell you that it is in the breeding. I just want to clarify I did not say breed of dog, it’s in the breeding! Always, always check the dog’s family blood line. If the breeder cannot provide that information don’t take the risk. Any good breeder will be able to give you that information. I don’t think your dogs should be separated and I bet if you did have someone help you with training, he or she could figure out very quickly what happened that day. At the beginning of my career I work in the Pediatric ER. The worst dog bite I ever saw was from a………….wait for it…a Dalmatian. It was the time when 101 Dalmatians was being released and everyone wanted a Dalmatian puppy. Breeders started breeding dogs as fast as they could to produce Dalmatian puppies. Some were breeding brothers to sisters, mothers to offspring, and fathers to offspring. This is exactly what happened in this case when we follow up with the child’s parents. So with all that being said keep the dogs, get some help, and take care of that girl friend.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:23 PM   #65
MannyC

Quote:
dude, calm down. i know thats just what he's heard. I'm just saying, anyone that believes a dog can detach some of his jaw to help chew while his front teeth are stationary, is pretty dumb. It was in no way a bad comment towards the author of the website.

I will say the "A Dose of Reality" page is pretty pathetic. A great one sided list of statistics. I love how people post statistics that only try to validate their opinion, but don't show all sides to try to help their case. For instance, he starts out by saying there's no accurate or NEAR accurate census of how many dogs in the U.S. But then he goes ahead and pulls a number out of his arse. and starts going by that number and getting percentages. All of which are invalid because of his first sentence! lol

And then he starts comparing a pitbull to other ways people die, instead of comparing them to a terrier of some kind, or retreiver, etc. I mean, who's going to buy a coconut for a pet? or a palm tree?

And then he goes and compares deaths by pitbulls to how many dogs have bitten humans, or other mammals, etc. really? It's just a lot of useless info that any half smart person can see is a bunch of BS. I'm i'm barely half smart. lol

What he needed to do, was get the statistics of deaths and/or bites from pitbulls and compare them with other breeds. Not just to Rotts and Dobbies, because no one is saying they aren't dangerous either. I would think this evidence would significantly help his case. Wonder why he didn't write about any of that.

And for the record, before I get flamed by the OP and other pro pitbull enthusiasts, I don't really care either way. People will have their own opinions. It was just an observation that i saw in that website. I am not partial in any way towards or against pit bulls. never had a problem with them.
lol, the ^^^^ werent meant for you. They were for the other guy. My bad
Old 07-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #66
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
My point has nothing to do with any specific breed being more prone to attacking people than others. My point is that any breed can be vicious if the owner is a dumba$$.

Sure, the smaller toy dogs have more lee-way because they don't have the bite strength to harm anything more than your furniture. But correlating a dogs bite strength to its viciousness is a fallacy.

A purely vicious dog, in the true definition of the term, is completely the product of piss-poor training and a dumbass owner, regardless of the breed.

EDIT: In the particular instance that the OP portrayed, however, the incident has more to do with the girlfriend making a mistake in handling.
ok, i understand what you are getting at. But i think you kind of didn't get what the guy you quoted was trying to say. I think he chose a retreiver in his comment because they are bigger dogs, and can cause damage to a human if they really wanted to. Fact is, they don't. At least not as nearly as much as a pit bull, or any other aggressive dog.

I think it was just a missunderstanding between you and the guy you quoted. I'm sure there are plenty of dumbasses that own other larger breeds that don't get the bad wrap as pit bulls.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #67
MannyC

To lighten up the mood... I bought two of these for the dogs(so they dont have to share) but they are staying in the boxes until we get this behavior in check.

http://www.vickdogchewtoy.com/
Old 07-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #68
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyC View Post
lol, the ^^^^ werent meant for you. They were for the other guy. My bad
damnit, i wrote all that for nothing? lol
Old 07-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #69
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Quote:

I agree with all of this. But, I didn't even go check out the site.

And to take it further, I wish someone would do a study where every death/dog bite incident also gets categorized by a trained dog handler to indicate whether records indicate if the dog was properly trained or not.

That kind of study would give a much more detailed overview of what's really going on.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #70
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Quote:
ok, i understand what you are getting at. But i think you kind of didn't get what the guy you quoted was trying to say. I think he chose a retreiver in his comment because they are bigger dogs, and can cause damage to a human if they really wanted to. Fact is, they don't. At least not as nearly as much as a pit bull, or any other aggressive dog.

I think it was just a missunderstanding between you and the guy you quoted. I'm sure there are plenty of dumbasses that own other larger breeds that don't get the bad wrap as pit bulls.
I swear I think his statement said "spaniel and terrier" first and then he edited his post to say retriever instead of terrier and that's what I quoted