Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
RofoMike

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro, IOM
Send a message via AIM to RofoMike
20'' Factory SS Polished aluminum wheels

Any recommendations for shining the Polished Aluminum wheels? I used Mothers Mag/Aluminum polish and they felt smooth but didnt look as shiny as I thought they would. Any ideas?
RofoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Thats because they're clear coated. GM calls the finish polished, but in reality its clear coat paint, just like whats on the rest of the car. So for polishing purposes you'll use whatever your preferred paint polish is on the wheels.

Also an excellent idea to wax or use sealant to protect them.

Set the expectations reasonably of what they're gonna look like, the finish on all of GM's factory "polished" wheels leaves a lot to be desired.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
John Deere Boy
I bleed green

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3
Your wheels are clear coated, so you have to treat them the same way you do the paint on your car. (car wash soap and wax) The aluminum polish never even touched the aluminum.

2011 2SS/RS LS3. Delivered 4/18/11. Solo Axle-back with J-pipes and quads, 35% tint, Yellow trim kit, Showstopper sidemarkers, babied garage queen.
2006 Silverado 3500 6.0, 1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSE
John Deere Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
RofoMike

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro, IOM
Send a message via AIM to RofoMike
Thanks for the Info!
RofoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Markwrench

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS ord 7-7-10 home8-24-10
I found cleaning the inner rim surface and then using a synthetic based product there helps keep the dirt off. When the inner surface is clean, it really makes the spokes pop.
Markwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
mpyle007

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Deere Boy View Post
Your wheels are clear coated, so you have to treat them the same way you do the paint on your car. (car wash soap and wax) The aluminum polish never even touched the aluminum.
So the fine aluminum type scratches are pretty muck like swirl marks in paint? Dylan from Adams have any professional advice here?
GMPP axle back exhaust system
Custom Dyno tune by ARD (Advanced Racing Dynamics)
BMR 1.4" Springs all four corners

"There is no replacement for displacement"
mpyle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Adam's Polishes

Could be, also could be damage below the clear coat, which wouldn't be unusual based on what I've seen personally with GM factory wheel finishes.

The stock wheels on my TBSS were the same finish... there were some spots that were below the clear where it looked like someone had swiped the wheel with sandpaper, very linear scratches all bunched together. Nothing you can do about something like that short of stripping the wheel down and starting over.

Surface imperfections though, yes... those can be polished out in the same manner you'd remove them anywhere else on the car.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
reefdiver

Drives: Cheverlot
If you want them brighter...get them chromed! I hated the "polished look". They never really looked good from the factory.
reefdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Could be, also could be damage below the clear coat, which wouldn't be unusual based on what I've seen personally with GM factory wheel finishes.

The stock wheels on my TBSS were the same finish... there were some spots that were below the clear where it looked like someone had swiped the wheel with sandpaper, very linear scratches all bunched together. Nothing you can do about something like that short of stripping the wheel down and starting over.

Surface imperfections though, yes... those can be polished out in the same manner you'd remove them anywhere else on the car.
Cannot find the thread but someone here did strip, polish and recleared. I think there were pics...?? Should look a lot better...or for a little more go aftemarket???

Last edited by Stex; 07-24-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefdiver View Post
If you want them brighter...get them chromed! I hated the "polished look". They never really looked good from the factory.

Any idea how much it costs to get them chromed?
cam62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #11
John Deere Boy
I bleed green

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post

Very true. Before ordering my car, i compared two yellow ones side-by side in the full sun. One had polished, the other had Midnight silver. The polished ones had lots of scratches underneath the clearcoat, so i ordered Midnight Silver.

2011 2SS/RS LS3. Delivered 4/18/11. Solo Axle-back with J-pipes and quads, 35% tint, Yellow trim kit, Showstopper sidemarkers, babied garage queen.
2006 Silverado 3500 6.0, 1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSE
John Deere Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
Adam's Polishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam62 View Post
Depends entirely on the chrome shop. I've had wheels plated in the past for as little as $100 per wheel, but that was with me stripping and prepping them myself.

Call around and see what local chrome shops are charging b/c it will also vary a lot by region. Its far more expensive to get something done in California for example b/c of all the environmental regs they have to adhere to.

Another option - buy a new set chromed from FR and then sell your stockers on craigslist or ebay to recoup some of the cost.

http://www.factoryreproductions.com/...Chrome-c47.htm
Old 07-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #13
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam62 View Post
I bookmarked this site......$750 - exchange program

http://www.calchrome.com/wheels_chevrolet.php

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
redirish

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS/M6
Dylan/HotRod, those are both excellent options!

Dylan, would a coat of Brilliant Glaze help on the Clear Coated Rims?
redirish is offline   Reply With Quote