Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Hitman115Actual

Drives: 2012 SS/RS Transformers 3 Edition
Best supercharger for the $$$?

Im debating on either a cam or supercharger. Ive done a lot of research on the cam side and now I would like some opinions on what would be a good SC kit that isn't gunna cost me $12,000. I know cams for a daily driver will only get me 60 or so HP for around 4,000 bucks (correct me if Im wrong). BTW I would like to be around 500 RWHP with the supercharger.
Hitman115Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Sales@CoW

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Feel free to give me a call, I can present you with plenty of options that I am sure you will love!

Brandon
(914)332-0049
Sales@CoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Hitman115Actual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettzel View Post
There are many threada on supercharges, one of the most common superchargers is the one by magnuson. Very reliable and an all around good supercharger. Look around the forced induction area on the forum, all your questions will be answered there.
I have done alot of research on cams and found the one I want if I go that way, Im just really wondering when it comes to superchargers what is the best for a D/D and also for the money, I am in Afghanistan right now window shoping, Ill be home in december for 2 weeks and I got all the time in the world. I just wanna know what other people's opinions are on my situation.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Drives: 2008 Corvette
Most common is magnacharger. I personally would do full exhaust without cats cause blower cars will just destroy those, centrifugal blower, cam, and a dyno tune.

D1SC Procharger 932/758 on E85
A Futral Motorsports Creation
https://www.facebook.com/DetoxxAtomic
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
HP Addicts

Drives: N/A
You should think about Whipple if your looking at positive displacement blowers. I have a Whipple on my personal car and we're also a Whipple distributor, if you have any questions feel free to drop us a line.
HP Addicts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Revolution
Owner of RRW

Drives: 12 ZL1 A6 white and 64 nova ss
I am not going to tell you what you should buy. I will tell you you should search all the threads on here and do some reading. The TVS magnacharger is very popular. Mainly due to it's wide availability and many many vendors sell the kit. Whipple is quickly becoming as widely available as the maggie. Apples for apples.. they are both replacing your factory intake and look somewhat factory. The whipple is a twin screw. The competitor to whipple is the Ken Bell they are both twin screw's I have personal experience driving a KB for a daily. Absolutely no issues and good power( opinion mind you) The maggies are great daily's and are user friendly as well as install goes. All of these kits are available so you can put them on with a decent assortment of hand tools and come with box tuners so you can be out and running in a weekend. If you want to go to a centrifugal procharger has several options to build a kit and offer you more room in the long run to make big power. There are a ton of vendors on this forum selling all kinds of blowers from Edelbrock to vortech they are all available.

For a Roots style top mount
-Maggnacharger
-Edelbrock E force
-GM performance parts makes the LSA blower as a kit now

Twin screw top mount (larger displacement slightly different flow characteristics)
Kenne Bell (has 3 options in blower size)
Whipple ( lots of mail order vendors selling them)

For a Centrifugal

Procharger ( several options in blower size capability different belt options 8 rib and cog)
Vortech ( also upgradable to a larger blower)

I have alot of hands on time with Procharger and Maggie and the KB from owning them and installing and tuning them and they all have their good and bad I hope you take some time and read the threads and see what people like and what your goals are with the car.

And if I can be any help please don't hesitate to PM me or Drop a call. I can get any blower you like and put a package together that will most definitely be well under what you thought.... and the same can be said for a cam.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Commit and Conquer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I'm a big fan of the Whipple! Easily make 500 RWHP and has tons of potential when you want to grow.

Manley Crank, Wiseco Pistons, Compstar H Beam Rods, ARP Main/Studs, Copper Treated "hi boost" head gaskets, FI Cam & Ported Heads w/Manley Extreme Duty Valves, Lunati Link Bar Lifters, Fuel System w/LPE Dual pumps, Twin Fuel Feed line/Single return w/ boost reference regulator, NW 102mm TB, 10-Rib ASP custom pulley kit, Twin RX Catch Cans, Roto Fab CAI, TSP Stainless Headers, Spec Twin Disc P-Trim Clutch, DSS Level 5 Axles, Eibach and BMR Full suspension
Commit and Conquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
Hitman115Actual

I really gotta stop doing this to myself, the anticipation is killing me and my car doesnt even have a TPW date yet!!!! I cant wait to get home!!!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
ECS Novi kit.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
If you only after 500rwhp...pick any of them. The shop is more important than which SC you choose, you will hear from happy owners of each type. I like my e-force, don't care for the look of the centerfugal blowers (looks like a hair dryer or snail shell IMO), if I had to choose a different path than what I chose, I like what I've read about the whipple. The vaunted "maggies" are now showing up with leaking valley seals (just a few out of thousands and magnuson is standing behind them). I just get tired of hearing all the "maggie" owners saying theirs are the best just because there are more of them...so to rehash...I might have gone whipple if I had it to do over again.
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
freemaSSon
Pat @ ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: CGM SS/RS M6
The Maggie kits and the Whipple kits are our preference and we have done a ton.

Please feel at liberty to ring Andy and see what we can do for ya.

Just being up the road in OK a two day turn around is our norm. Take a couple days off work. Drop the car in the early AM head to a hotel and get it back the next evening. Done it too many times to count.

"There are two types of racers: cheaters...and losers."
Smokey Yunick

freemaSSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
BATMANs

Drives: GTO & NSX
I have 75k~ miles on my MP112.

I hammer it all the time.

Not a single problem. Somehow I do go through A/C compressors alot. Anyone know if the increased speed of the belts might have something to do with my A/C compressor going out 3 times already? Should I turn my A/C off while flogging my Maggied GTO?

Would be nice if Wynjammer made a blower for your application.
2005 GTO Maggie, Forged engine, CAI, Kooks LTH, Magnaflow, Billet Pro shifter, LS7 clutch, 245/275 18" on Petrol Octane, Addco Sways, Koni Yellows, King Springs, Whiteline bushings, EBC Red, X-drilled/slotted rotors, SS brake lines, 55w HID, PLX gauges

1993 NSX Kenne Bell 2.1, Laminova IC, sway bars, NSX-R chassis bars, and non-compliance toe links, Tien EDFC, STMPO exhaust & brake ducts, RM Racing headers, K&N/Cantrall intake, Enkei RP03 17"18", APR GTC-300
BATMANs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
Hitman115Actual

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemaSSon View Post
The Maggie kits and the Whipple kits are our preference and we have done a ton.

Please feel at liberty to ring Andy and see what we can do for ya.

Just being up the road in OK a two day turn around is our norm. Take a couple days off work. Drop the car in the early AM head to a hotel and get it back the next evening. Done it too many times to count.
I have done a ton of reading the past two days and I think Im gunno go ahead with the Maggie 2300, borla exhaust w/LT headers, and a CAI. If my math is right, all of that combined should get me around 500-540RWHP. I have also heard great things from ya'll, I read Coops thread on his camaro and saw the dyno sheet, thats right where I wanna be. Can yall give me a number so I can call you to get a quote, and possibly a set up date. I still got a ways to go but if I got the time to get the stuff set up then Ill definately take advantage of it. My car should be in Oklahoma by the end of October, and I'll be home for good in March.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #14
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
If you only after 500rwhp...pick any of them. The shop is more important than which SC you choose, you will hear from happy owners of each type. I like my e-force, don't care for the look of the centerfugal blowers
Same here.
Was in between the Maggie and Eforce. Going with the EForce after just seeing one being installed. Had a long talk with the shop and they said you can't go wrong with either one. It just seems to be such a complete kit and like the low profile factory installed stealthy look just a bit more than the in your face exposed unit. Must be getting old LOL. Being able to body color match the included aluminum covers is a plus too.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote