Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > The Sports Lounge

Old 09-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #253
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
I agree and try not to be "That SEC Guy" and give an honest opinion. Like I said earlier Alabama did not impress me, defense did pretty good but it is Kent St. Offense did not impress at all, sure we had alot of points but in reality I saw 2 good drives, other than that we had entirely too many fumbles interceptions etc... 4 ints and 1 fumble was lost but 3 others we didn't lose, so we had 7 times the offense put the ball on the ground.....NOT winning football in anybody's dreams.

This whole conference realignment issue is quite interesting and I think is more about money than anything. Forget tradition, rivalries and all the pomp and circumstance that IS college football. Rivalries are what make college football, just like the renewed one with Penn St.

I grew up watching Penn St and Alabama battle it out, along with other traditional rivalries like Tenn, Auburn,Ohio St-Michigan, Tx-OU, etc..... If this realignment goes through the first thing I thought about was kinda interesting..... I thought about the Texas State Fair and the Red River Rivalry.....

Imagine the loss of income if Tx-OU do not play anymore. The TSF is an event...would be really sad to see it go.I thought it intersting that Stoops said thet Tx-OU would not necessaily play if they move....I was like WTF is up with that. SO I am supposed to get excited about OU and Oregon State...NOT.

This realigment to 4 Super Conferences is a bad idea for college football in my opinion. The Big 12 lost Nebraska and it had some great rivalries with OU, TX etc... and now that seems to be gone.

College football has come a LONG way from years past when one team could stack their team, like Alabama did, and get Top Recruits just because of a Coach, albeit a legend, but a coach. Now with scholarship reductions it has leveled the playing field since most kids want to play not just go to a school because of a coach.

It will be interesting to see if Boise St is asked and if they accept a bigger conferences offer. TCU went to the Big East...huh...what was that all about....Big 12 should have snapped them up along time ago....

But the reality is that if and when Tx A&M leaves many will follow and the tradition of college football for these schools will go to the wayside, Sadly and Unfortunately. The bigger conference schools will only get richer and smaller ones will faulter economically, especially if they come out with a NCAA Playoff package say that ESPN, or CBS pays for the TV rights to show these games.

Sure the bigger schools like Tx, OU, Ok St should be fine, but what about the lesser schools like Baylor, TT etc.......Baylor look great last Thursday. It will turn into an amature leagur for the NFL.

I guess I am a traditionalist and like things the way they are, but I guess times are a changing, sad to see.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #254
springerpete
Orange GM freak

Drives: 2004 3500HD
PQ, you know I'm not an UO fan but remember this. TU has played for their conference championship almost every year for the last 6 years. They are offense heavy and defense light, as with most smaller schools. Defenses are a luxury of larger schools and the better conferences. That's why the SEC and traditionally the Big 12 south were dominate.

That's why it's taken OKLA ST so long to get to where we are now. We've always had the offense, but never the defense to go with it.

Bob Stoops is a defensive guy and that's why his team is close to the top year in and year out.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #255
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Believe me. You are certailny not 'THAT' SEC guy.

Unless you thought that Vandy, Kentuky, and Miss. St. are the equivelant of Okie St., Nebraska and A&M......

There really aren't any more of THOSE SEC fans than there are THOSE Big 12 or any other conference fans.

It's just that they are more annoying.

Did you here the guy call in to Fineboms show and talk to Greg McElroy and berate him?

While I think it's funny to see people cry over a few dead trees like it's a human being, it's still THAT guy who did the deed.

THAT fan will have an excuse for EVERY time their team loses and NEVER just admit that they got beat. It's always a 'choke' or a bad referee call.

THAT guy drives me crazy. The worst part is he or she drives me crazy when I shouldn't even give a shit. I had a guy actually try and convince me that Florida lost the game a few years ago to Ole Miss ON PURPOUSE..... And Tebow was goint to be a starter in the NFL his first year.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #256
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
I Sure the bigger schools like Tx, OU, Ok St should be fine, but what about the lesser schools like Baylor, TT etc.......Baylor look great last Thursday. It will turn into an amature leagur for the NFL.

I guess I am a traditionalist and like things the way they are, but I guess times are a changing, sad to see.
OMG....... you were dead right. Baylor is holding A&M back by not agreeing to the SEC caviat of an agreement to not use legal action in the future. LMAO

I've been listening to the radio for the last couple hours in my car and Baylor is not going down easy. They stand to lose the most here. They will certainly NOT find a BCS conference to get into it the Big 12 tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
PQ, you know I'm not an UO fan but remember this. TU has played for their conference championship almost every year for the last 6 years. They are offense heavy and defense light, as with most smaller schools. Defenses are a luxury of larger schools and the better conferences. That's why the SEC and traditionally the Big 12 south were dominate.

That's why it's taken OKLA ST so long to get to where we are now. We've always had the offense, but never the defense to go with it.

Bob Stoops is a defensive guy and that's why his team is close to the top year in and year out.
OUs devensive secondary is suspect to me. Has been for 4 years now. Maybe Mike Stoops was more important than I thought. lol
Old 09-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #257
Camaro_krazee
COTW 5/26/14

Drives: '12 2LT/RS; '14 2SS/RS LS3 SSE
Quote:
I've been listening to the radio for the last couple hours in my car and Baylor is not going down easy. They stand to lose the most here. They will certainly NOT find a BCS conference to get into it the Big 12 tanks.
Iowa St has joined Baylor in the legal arena; per our sports guy on a local channel, Baylor and I-state would loose approx $17M per season!

Dunno...I can see this conference change roulette dragging out for a spell.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #258
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_krazee View Post
Iowa St has joined Baylor in the legal arena; per our sports guy on a local channel, Baylor and I-state would loose approx $17M per season!

Dunno...I can see this conference change roulette dragging out for a spell.
I've been saying for a few years to dump Baylor and Iowa St.

I wanted to add TCU and another.

I'd say let this be a warning to all those programs just mailing it in and riding the gravy train in an uncompetetive complacency.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #259
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
5:30 PM - A conference call took place at noon on Wednesday to discuss Texas A&M's accepted application to the SEC conditional on a release of potential legal claims by Big 12 schools against the SEC.

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe addressed the contents of the call:

“This is the first time to my knowledge that a conference has been requested to waive any legal claims toward another conference for any damages suffered with a membership change.

"The Big 12 Conference was asked by Texas A&M University and the Southeastern Conference to waive any such claim to help facilitate Texas A&M’s departure from the Conference without any consideration to the Big 12.

"Although they were not obligated to do so, the Big 12 Board of Directors decided to accommodate that request as it relates to The Big 12 Conference, Inc., which is reflected in the September 2 letter sent to SEC commissioner Mike Slive.

"However, the waiver did not and could not bind the individual member institutions’ governing boards to waive institutional rights.

"If the departure of Texas A&M results in significant changes in the Big 12 membership, several institutions may be severely affected after counting on revenue streams from contracts that were approved unanimously by our members, including Texas A&M. In some cases, members reasonably relied on such approval to embark on obligations that will cost millions of dollars.”

As an example, I've been told Baylor is particularly concerned about the potential loss of TV revenue in the Big 12 (if the league comes apart) because it is financing improvements to BU's football stadium with money budgeted from TV revenue.

As each school of the big12 we ( 4 months ago ) agreed on a New multi year contract on local Tv listings on Big12 schools in the state of Texas ( not longhorn network ) Texas , Tech , Baylor , A&M and Okie St and OU all signed this contract since those are the teams that are shown all over the state of Texas now that A&M wants to leave there part of the deal wont be lived up to. Baylor is getting a much needed make over to there stadium and this is how they are paying for it.
( just as Texas , A&M , Ou and okie st did in the last 5 years )

Baylor is just p!$$ed now its there turn everyone is bailing out and they are left with debt and possibly no home. They just did this in the wrong time sounds like.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #260
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by springerpete View Post
I also thought Bob was a offense kind of guy.

imo every since OU lost Mike to Arizona they have not been so dominate as they were from 2000-2004 OU nearly always has offenses that put up the numbers its there defense that allows more points than they did earlier in the 00's.

Maybe im wrong.

Okie st nearly always has the offense to put up points they just havent had the defense.
imo right now okie st has a dam good QB with a dam good wide Receiver.
The Qb play there is what its all about when it comes down to it.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #261
springerpete
Orange GM freak

"OKIE STATE" paid for their own facilitties with the help of T. Boone Pickens and a bunch of other alumni that tried to match his donation collectively. It's been a major undertaking over the last 4 years. The TV deals were just icing on the cake.

I would like to see the Big 12 survive but it seems like a forgone conclusion, unless they can woo someone to keep this conference alive until another major university comes along.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #262
PQ
Booooosted.

Honestly I'd be fine to add UT, OU, TT and OK ST to the PAC 12. I have a little sympathy for KSU but not enough to care. LMAO
Old 09-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #263
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

I think all conferences have those teams that will NEVER win consistently.....SEE Vandy, Kentucky, etc......from the SEC. While I understand that Vandy is a SCHOOL first and they play football, academics is primarily their focus. The entrance standards at Vandy are incredible. Kentucky is a Basketball school with a football team and all of this is ok to me.......I guess everyone needs balance.

To me the Big 12 is doomed and here is why I think that. Texas, OU and Ok St are the main draws nationally and no one really cares about TT, Iowa St etc......Baylor did bring some attention to themselves this past week because of it being a fun game to watch.

Baylor claims that if OU stays then it will let off the gas on this legal claim......WHAT????? You are waiting on OU? Come on man, really? Talking about being the little brother here. So what is Baylor going to do if OU leaves...sue them too? It is really simple...put a better product on the field Baylor and you will be OK......but Baylor has not been relevant in college football for years....they have only themselves to blame.

I did some figuring the other day about Alabama football. We have 101,000 person stadium. If each person spends only 10.00 at each home game then that is over 1 million in revenue per game.......trust me you can't just spend 10.00 when cokes are 6.00 ea. Most people spend anywhere from 20.00 to 40.00 ea game on concessions. This does not even include the cost of the tickets OR the donation that has to be made just to be able to buy tickets. With all that said a safe estimate per home weekend is about 7.5 million in gross revenue per game and with 7 home games that is around 52 million a year, not including bowl games, T-shirt hat and other stuff that has Alabama on it. I think last year they made 82 mil.

Kinda like the Boise St talk......Their stadium has what 30 to 40 k seating, really? Boise St says " No one will play us" BS the truth is Boise wants a home and home series and they want 75% of the gate....Really 75 %. Why would any major college football school do that....Take Alabama, Penn St, Ohio St, Texas, Tennessee, Michigan, OU etc.... most if not all hold over 100k compared to 40 k at Boise St and they are premier schools so why in the world would they go to Boise, Idaho to a 40k seat stadium to play? Most of the school mentioned above have that many people at spring games.

Baylor has not marketed themselves well enough, done good enough on the field of play and are now suffering and have been riding on the coat tails of OU, Tx, Ok St etc......Seems to me that they are sour grapes because no one really wants them.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #264
RSokie
Proud owner of Litho #195

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
Maybe we need to go retro and go back to the Big 8.
RSokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:47 AM   #265
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSokie View Post
Maybe we need to go retro and go back to the Big 8.
That would be better than it going away especially since OU is #1 now, TX looks like it is trying to get better, OK St is in the top 10, Baylor SEEMS to be doing better.

I still think about the Texas State Fair and the Red River Rivalry....would hate to see that go to the wayside.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:06 AM   #266
springerpete
Orange GM freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Honestly I'd be fine to add UT, OU, TT and OK ST to the PAC 12. I have a little sympathy for KSU but not enough to care. LMAO
Personally, I hate that idea. What do the fans do for away games. If they made 4 to 5 away games, it will now be narrowed down to 1 to 2. Flying to away games to either coast is not feesible for the average fan.