Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
2 new toys arrived yesterday

My ADM scoop and Roto-Fab washer kit.

I've read up on how to do this, my question is can this be done with a jack only. I do not have car stands, and I've never used car stands before so I am not sure how comfortable I'd be using them.

So is it safe to just jack up the car and do it? Also, do I need to jack up from the middle of the car, or is there a location on one side of the car I can use?

Old 10-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
zombi

Drives: 2011 Black 6 Speed
There is a jack point right behind the driver side front tire. Look along the bottom edge for a small cutout in the plastic where the frame is exposed. Put the jack there. I have not done the particular install but I did my Ingen cai with it's washer relocation and I did not use stands.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Chobbs11
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro LS
It is in ones best interest to use jack stands!!! I would not trust the jack alone with my life when it is so easy to add an extra layer of protection that's costs almost nothing!!! Not sure what you're installing but if you gotta get underneath the car, you're much better off with jack stands. If you're not gonna be under the car (in harms way) then go with a jack only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chobbs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombi View Post
There is a jack point right behind the driver side front tire. Look along the bottom edge for a small cutout in the plastic where the frame is exposed. Put the jack there. I have not done the particular install but I did my Ingen cai with it's washer relocation and I did not use stands.
So are you saying to go from the side of the car?
Old 10-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobbs11 View Post
It is in ones best interest to use jack stands!!! I would not trust the jack alone with my life when it is so easy to add an extra layer of protection that's costs almost nothing!!! Not sure what you're installing but if you gotta get underneath the car, you're much better off with jack stands. If you're not gonna be under the car (in harms way) then go with a jack only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not going underneath. Just need to take of a wheel and the wheel liner so I can install my scoop and relocate my washer bottle.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Those items will look good in your Camaro. One for better air flow and performance, the other for cosmetic clean up. Good choices.

Keep in mind that jack stands serve as a safety item too. You should never crawl under a car that is only in the air by the jack itself.

Another point I found when jacking up my Camaro by the slot along the rocker area. That maybe the jacking point but it still can create enough force to possibly cause damage to the sheet metal. I use a hockey puck between the metal and the jack to allow for some deflection to be taken up by the puck.

I see I was a little slow on posting, was in the middle of typing and others have responded to the safety item.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Those items will look good in your Camaro. One for better air flow and performance, the other for cosmetic clean up. Good choices.

Keep in mind that jack stands serve as a safety item too. You should never crawl under a car that is only in the air by the jack itself.

Another point I found when jacking up my Camaro by the slot along the rocker area. That maybe the jacking point but it still can create enough force to possibly cause damage to the sheet metal. I use a hockey puck between the metal and the jack to allow for some deflection to be taken up by the puck.
Thanks for the advise all! You know what, I am just going to wait this one out. I am heading to Tracy next weekend for him to install my TB and CC (unfortunately he is traveling this weekend). The whole point of me going to him was for him to install the scoop and washer kit. It just kills me that I have it and have to wait . But since I am not very experienced at putting a car on jack stands I'd rather be safe then sorry and wait it out.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Thanks for the advise all! You know what, I am just going to wait this one out. I am heading to Tracy next weekend for him to install my TB and CC (unfortunately he is traveling this weekend). The whole point of me going to him was for him to install the scoop and washer kit. It just kills me that I have it and have to wait . But since I am not very experienced at putting a car on jack stands I'd rather be safe then sorry and wait it out.
Good call since you are going to see Tracy anyway. Tell him rtcatman says hello.

Also, while there see if he will show you how to raise the Camaro safely with a floor jack and use jack stands, that way you will learn for future reference. There really is nothing to it, but you do want to be safe.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
Good call since you are going to see Tracy anyway. Tell him rtcatman says hello.

Also, while there see if he will show you how to raise the Camaro safely with a floor jack and use jack stands, that way you will learn for future reference. There really is nothing to it, but you do want to be safe.
I'll tell him you said hi. Also, good advise on the jack thing, I will defiantly ask him.

Man it really sucks to have toys and cannot install them but I don't want to hurt my car or myself with my inexperience.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Can't wait to hear your results.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #11
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOLIE View Post
Can't wait to hear your results.
Will do!

I appreciate the request considering the mods you have on you car! Your car must sound great and will not sound nearly as good as yours.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
zombi

I did not even jack the car for my install. I was able to turn the wheel enough to remove the wheel well liner and go in that way.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombi View Post
I did not even jack the car for my install. I was able to turn the wheel enough to remove the wheel well liner and go in that way.
Really? You were able to install both by turning the wheel?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #14
zombi

Like I said I did not install the scoop just the washer bottle. So I'm not sure about that. But if you are already going to see Tracy and you are not comfortable I would wait.