Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
2013 Buick Regal Powertrain Changes: Standard eAssist, Automatic GS

Drivetrain Changes Announced for Buick Regal Lineup
New automatic transmission for Regal GS and eAssist to be standard on 2013 Regal
Link to Press Release

February 7, 2012

DETROIT – Coming off strong sales year in which it outsold the Audi A4, Lexus IS250, and Acura TSX, Buick’s midsize luxury sport sedan continues to evolve. The performance-oriented Regal GS has a new automatic transmission available in dealerships now. Additionally, with the introduction of the 2013 model later this year, eAssist fuel efficiency technology becomes standard.

U.S. News and World Report has named the Regal the “Best Upscale Midsize Car for Families.” Last month, it was named “Best Car for the Money” in the same category. The “Upscale Midsize Car” category includes 19 different vehicles.

Self-shifting Regal GS

The 270 horses of the Regal GS’ turbocharged 2.0L Ecotec – one of WardsAuto World’s 2012 “10 Best Engines” for North America – can now be controlled through a second transmission. A six-speed automatic with Driver Shift Control is now offered as a no-cost option instead of the existing six-speed manual.

“With the Regal GS, we made a conscious decision to go against the current trend and give enthusiasts the manual transmission they desire as standard equipment” said Tony DiSalle, U.S. vice president of Buick Marketing. “Adding an automatic simply makes the performance of the GS even more accessible.”

The new Aisin AF40 automatic is calibrated specifically for Buick’s most athletic sedan. With the car’s Interactive Drive Control System set to “GS” mode, the transmission delivers firmer shifts, aiding performance. Acceleration matches the manual with an estimated 0-60 mph time of 6.7 seconds.

EPA-estimated fuel economy of 19 mpg city and 27 on the highway, standard performance components like Buick’s innovative HiPer Strut front suspension and Brembo front brake calipers, and optional features are identical regardless of the transmission.

Hagerty insurance recently named the Buick Regal GS to its “2012 Hot List” of vehicles its valuation experts expect to be future collectibles.

Standard 36 Highway MPG with Regal eAssist

Starting with the arrival of 2013 models, eAssist will be standard on the Regal with the discontinuation of the 2.4L base model. Both the Regal Turbo and Regal GS models will remain available.

The eAssist uses a compact lithium-ion battery pack and a small electric motor to aid the performance of a fuel-efficient 2.4-liter gas engine. The system provides an electrical boost to aid the engine at low speeds and on inclines where fuel efficiency can suffer most. The Regal with eAssist achieves an EPA-estimated 36 highway mpg, equal to a Mini Cooper and higher than some full hybrids like the Infiniti M35h, which is rated at 32 mpg.

“Buick is committed to increasing innovation across the lineup,” said DiSalle “By making the advanced eAssist powertrain standard on a second vehicle, we are putting the spotlight on smart technology.”

For the 2012 model year, eAssist became standard for the larger LaCrosse luxury sedan. Offered at the same price as the V6, eAssist is already outselling its hybrid competitors and is projected to grow in popularity this year.

According to Hybridcars.com, the Buick LaCrosse with eAssist outsold the Lincoln MKZ by a 3-to-1 margin and the Lexus HS250h by a 5-to-1 margin in January 2012.

Pricing and an on-sale date for the 2013 Regal with eAssist will be announced later this year.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I just got to see one in person at the Harrisburg auto show. All I have to say is "WOW!" That was one of the nice looking cars of the entire show. The pictures don't do them justice.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
I like the car, the handling is fantastic, the look is just right between understated and agressive and it is a great car. That powertrain really disapoints though. not only is acceleration well behind it's V6 competitors, so is fuel mileage. Most v6 family sedans would rape it 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile and get 30+ MPG on the highway. they should have stuck with the 3.6 in this car IMHO. A turbo 4 is great, IF it provides any really benefit. Heck, BMW is getting 36MPG Highway with their new turbo 4 3 series sans any hybrid tech..........
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
I like the car, the handling is fantastic, the look is just right between understated and agressive and it is a great car. That powertrain really disapoints though. not only is acceleration well behind it's V6 competitors, so is fuel mileage. Most v6 family sedans would rape it 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile and get 30+ MPG on the highway. they should have stuck with the 3.6 in this car IMHO. A turbo 4 is great, IF it provides any really benefit. Heck, BMW is getting 36MPG Highway with their new turbo 4 3 series sans any hybrid tech..........

Let me know when it out accelerates the old GS from the 90's
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Then need to come out with a stage 1 kit like the did with the Lnf ecotec motor in the turbo cobalts that boosted hp to 290 and tq to 315. I havent yet test drove at Regal Gs but i bet it feels faster than it is when u drive it some cars are like that.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
The Honda Accord & Toyota Camry get just 30 mpg on the highway, and they're the two most efficient V6 midsize sedans that I know of.

As for highway fuel economy, that never has and never will be the strong suit of a hybrid. A hybrid uses an electric motor to help accelerate the car, so going down the highway at a constant speed doesn't really make the best use of the technology.

All that said, I still think that they should have gone with a stronger engine in the GS ... but at the same time, who buys a midsize sedan because its quick in a straight line? And while we're on the subject of who buys what for why ... who buys a Buick for its handling prowess?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
BigDan

Drives: bug
Positive ++ Alex Roy drives the new GS through Detroit
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:39 AM   #8
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
All that said, I still think that they should have gone with a stronger engine in the GS ... but at the same time, who buys a midsize sedan because its quick in a straight line? And while we're on the subject of who buys what for why ... who buys a Buick for its handling prowess?
Why not? Buick is back, and its not an old dude's car anymore!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #9
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
The Honda Accord & Toyota Camry get just 30 mpg on the highway, and they're the two most efficient V6 midsize sedans that I know of.

As for highway fuel economy, that never has and never will be the strong suit of a hybrid. A hybrid uses an electric motor to help accelerate the car, so going down the highway at a constant speed doesn't really make the best use of the technology.

My point really wasn't about the Hybrid, though again most get at least 40 highway these days in the midsize segment. point was that I see absolutely no benefit to using the turbo 4 over a V6 in this car.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #10
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Yes, although the turbo engine is a neat idea, they've somehow screwed it up big-time, if you go look at the highway mpg for camrys, accords, and similar vehicles with 3.5ish liter V6s, they're getting 29-30mpg with their most efficient transmission offers, NOT hybrids. What the hell is wrong with this buick that it only gets 27mpg with a turbo 4? My ALL WHEEL DRIVE turbo 4 car got around 27 combined, 29-30 on the highway. Evolve and improve, or die.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Why not? Buick is back, and its not an old dude's car anymore!
Buick is back, and its not an old dude's car anymore ... I agree. Its just that the more I think about it, the less sense the Regal GS makes. The regular Regal is a great car, but the GS simply doesn't fit with the brand. There is nothing wrong with sticking to smooth & stylish, quiet & comfortable cars. In fact, itsprobably better for the brand to reinforce that to give it an identity separate from Cadillac. Let Buick be 'soft' luxury, while Cadillac can be a bolder and take care of the entire luxury performance segment at GM
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Buick is back, and its not an old dude's car anymore ... I agree. Its just that the more I think about it, the less sense the Regal GS makes. The regular Regal is a great car, but the GS simply doesn't fit with the brand. There is nothing wrong with sticking to smooth & stylish, quiet & comfortable cars. In fact, itsprobably better for the brand to reinforce that to give it an identity separate from Cadillac. Let Buick be 'soft' luxury, while Cadillac can be a bolder and take care of the entire luxury performance segment at GM
Soft luxury is the definition of an old dudes car. Let's face it, if it wasn't for China, Buick would have gone the way of Pontiac. It probably should have gone away, at least in the domestic market. Chevrolet, GMC and Cadillac would have been ideal, and an argument could be made against GMC too.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Not when both brands print money for GM.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Love the "Grocery getter" commercial