Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-21-2012, 01:56 AM   #1
SGT Stretch

Drives: 2016 Hyper Metallic Blue SS
sputtering/hesitant codes caught

Ok for a couple weeks now I've been dealing with an issue.. it will come up then go away where the car will sputter and then catch up throwing a CEL. I've got a JRE tune now (this started before the tune) and having the sct when it happened again today I scanned and caught the following P0171 P0172 and P0300.. too lean bank 1 too rich bank 1 and cylinder misfire.. yea i dunno what to do.... i ran some injector cleaner through it when it first happened. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2011 SS
LS3
TSP LT'S (Cat less connection)
RX catch can
Muffler delete on stock exhaust
Old 05-21-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
honeybucket99

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM CAMARO BEAST
had the same issue twice. once, plug wire too close to header and melted. intermittent until wire melted all the way through.

second time, o2 extension melted.
2010 CGM 2SS/RS; 418 stroker; JE Forged Pistons (offset wrist pin); Forged Crank; upgraded valvetrain; Custom Comp Cams Cam; Kenne Bell 2.8; ID 1000s; Aeromotive Fuel pump with return; ARH Long Tubes; Spec heavy duty clutch; 3" Magnaflow Cat Back; Nick Williams 102 mm Throttle Body; Tune fixed by Dave Steck; 815 HP and 14 mpg

Upcoming--
Disintegrated drivetrain;
Divorce if/when my wife catches on to
my addiction
honeybucket99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
SGT Stretch

Saw the plug slightly melted talked to a guy from TSP he said trim the insulator back.. did that.. never thought about the O2 extensions ill check that out.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Stretch View Post
Saw the plug slightly melted talked to a guy from TSP he said trim the insulator back.. did that.. never thought about the O2 extensions ill check that out.
You don't need O2 extensions you have a tune, Replace your wires with these

http://jreperformanceparts.com/2010-...s-hi-temp.html
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
SGT Stretch

Wait so you don't need to extend the fwd O2 sensors to the only bungs on the Headers? im so confused now. everything ive read and been told said install headers get 02 extensions remove rear o2 sensors extend forwards to the only bung in your new LT's.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Wait so you don't need to extend the fwd O2 sensors to the only bungs on the Headers? im so confused now. everything ive read and been told said install headers get 02 extensions remove rear o2 sensors extend forwards to the only bung in your new LT's.
Your new Long tube headers and Cats or off road pipes should have provisions for all 4 sensors.

The front sensors HAVE TO be install,, wire extensions should have been provided with the headers.

The rear O2s are used to monitor Cats if you don't have any you can leave them out.

When you said extensions I thought you mean the Threaded Extensions.

Ted.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
SGT Stretch

ah ha.. good lol i was feeling really stupid for a second. yes thats what i have but i am going to check and see if maybe the wire extensions rubbed up against the headers and melted and that might be my problem.

Thank you again for all your help through here and email trying to get me through this. i really appreciate it.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
SGT Stretch

*UPDATE* so after all this reading and such and searching I

*Pulled and cleaned the MAF (it is a weak one so that's getting replaced soon)
*Pulled and checked all the plugs (fine)
*Replaced all the stock plug wires with MSD 8.5mm superconductors and high temp sleeves
*Got under the car and checked the O2 sensor extension cables (no melting everything looked good, but were dangling a bit too much and bank1 aka drivers side where the connectors meet was slapping the transmission a bit so i snugged and secured everything tight)
*Ran some Gumout concentrated fuel injector cleaner through it.

I did all this this morning and I've had no issues at all... one of those must have fixed the issue and actually the car seems to have quite a bit more pep in her step to. Also the throttle response seems a bit more reactive too I'm assuming those two might be from the MSD's. All in all I'm a very happy man I got this all worked out. Yet still curious which one thing fixed it lol.

Thanks for the help and opinions guys. I love this site lol
Old 05-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
DZ28

Drives: 2023 ZL1 M6 Riverside Blue
Same issue for me, CEL and misfire, added the MSD wires but continue to have an issue. Bank #2 not happy, owner not happy, car headed back to shop next week. means it will probably stay home when the Hot Rod Power Tour comes to town Saturday..... :(
Old 05-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
SGT Stretch

Actually since then the issue came back.. it was like 2 days later... took to shop.. they just like Ted suspected the O2 sensor itself since the harness is fine. $120 from autozone for OE. I go pick it up today. Wish me luck
Old 06-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
SGT Stretch

Well I usually listen to the pros and forum gurus first on this stuff...didn't...problem "fixed" with what I thought it was trying to save $$. Put the new O2 sensor in. Like Ted said a week ago... yea its fixed..for real this time. The guys at the shop had a nice laugh when i told them the story. The lead tech there says sarcastically "And what did we learn...." sigh. But she's fixed.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Well I usually listen to the pros and forum gurus first on this stuff...didn't...problem "fixed" with what I thought it was trying to save $$. Put the new O2 sensor in. Like Ted said a week ago... yea its fixed..for real this time. The guys at the shop had a nice laugh when i told them the story. The lead tech there says sarcastically "And what did we learn...." sigh. But she's fixed.
Glad I was able to help get you fixed up.

Ted.