Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-31-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
flavp5

Drives: 2011 victory red 1LT coupe
mace 25mm

if my searches seem right , is this the best combo with the vararam intake?

and my next best upgrade without breaking the bank
Emblempro custom emblems
MRT ver 2.0 exhaust

flavp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
YES

if you're willing to save a little longer...get the ported IM along with the 25mm spacer. there should be feedback coming soon about the difference and gains between the 2.

additionally, a cheaper mod is adding the RX ported TB too.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
mycamaro2011

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Victory Red
Is there a huge diff in buying a Varaam Cold air Intake as oppossed to an Injen Short CAI? I am going to buy the port IM and 25mm spacer so i wanted to see if i shud just keep the injen instead of buying a Varamm CAI
thanx
mycamaro2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #4
cam fan

Drives: fast
Sorry im a little confused. Help me out here please. So these are our new options as far as I understand:

- Mace 25mm insulator
- Mace Ported IM
- Mace Plenum spacer
- RX ported throttle body

...am I missing anything?

What are the ballpark costs of these items? What about ease of install (given I know jack 0)

THANKS!
Old 06-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #5
MACE_ENG

Drives: LLT Machine
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam fan View Post
Sorry im a little confused. Help me out here please. So these are our new options as far as I understand:

- Mace 25mm insulator
- Mace Ported IM
- Mace Plenum spacer
- RX ported throttle body

...am I missing anything?

What are the ballpark costs of these items? What about ease of install (given I know jack 0)

THANKS!
Have PM'd you a price on MACE related products, along with the install ease
MACE_ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #6
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
The Mace 25mm isn't that hard an install as soon as you figure out the rear bolt. If you get it, you'll know what I'm talking about when you get to it lol.

The Mace Ported Intake Manifold can't be a lot harder than the 25mm since they both require the removal and re-installation of the manifold.

The Mace Plenum Spacer is a cake install! It'll take maybe 20 minutes to do. It's like 5 bolts and then just the re assembly.

The Ported Throttle Body is a piece of cake as well. Maybe 15 minutes to install. It's 4 bolts and then the re-assembly.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:44 AM   #7
lscamaro

Yes this is a great combo with the vararam. In my case, the mace actually increased the gap available on the vararam!

Old 06-02-2012, 02:06 AM   #8
cam fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
The Mace Plenum Spacer is a cake install! It'll take maybe 20 minutes to do. It's like 5 bolts and then just the re assembly.

The Ported Throttle Body is a piece of cake as well. Maybe 15 minutes to install. It's 4 bolts and then the re-assembly.
Seems like those are the 2 I will be purchasing lol
(May I have a new PM'ed price for those 2 please MACE - thanks!)

It's funny that my VR caused a CEL (apparently noticeably changed airflow to ECU reader at dealer - idk) and the dealer they complained and wagged their finger at me but still did the work that day under warranty. So no out of pocket then (FEWF!).

Will those 2 get me in that kind of trouble?
Old 06-02-2012, 02:23 AM   #9
lscamaro

If it were me, I would personally recommend the Mace 25mm and the Ported Intake Manifold. They are the ones with the most gains but that's just me

My Mace 25mm didn't throw any codes or anything. I unhooked the battery so that may have done it but when I installed my vararam I didn't and it didn't throw one either...

Well I guess it depends. I personally don't trust dealerships at all. The few dealerships i have been to have been completely incompetent so I guess that's made me biased. The Plenum Spacer might get you in trouble depending on how your dealership is. If they are real sticklers, they will probably get mad at anything anyway. The TB probably wouldn't even be noticed since it looks just like a stock one but is just ported. That would go for a ported intake manifold as well. Really hard to tell since they look just like stock

Old 06-02-2012, 03:53 AM   #10
Blacc Mamba
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACE_ENG View Post
Have PM'd you a price on MACE related products, along with the install ease
Pm price for those also
Old 06-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #11
MACE_ENG

Drives: LLT Machine
Quote:
If it were me, I would personally recommend the Mace 25mm and the Ported Intake Manifold. They are the ones with the most gains but that's just me

My Mace 25mm didn't throw any codes or anything. I unhooked the battery so that may have done it but when I installed my vararam I didn't and it didn't throw one either...

Well I guess it depends. I personally don't trust dealerships at all. The few dealerships i have been to have been completely incompetent so I guess that's made me biased. The Plenum Spacer might get you in trouble depending on how your dealership is. If they are real sticklers, they will probably get mad at anything anyway. The TB probably wouldn't even be noticed since it looks just like a stock one but is just ported. That would go for a ported intake manifold as well. Really hard to tell since they look just like stock
Good advice there lscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacc Mamba View Post
Pm price for those also
Done
MACE_ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
cam fan

Quote:

Thank you very much for the thoughtful reply. Much of this purchase will be about confidence of installation and convenience of living with it.

I actually had an ok time installing the VR cai but that is in HUGE part to ROLNSLO's videos on YouTube. In that regard, many thanks to the camaro5 family!
Old 06-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
motley1987

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT
Don't let the install scare you off, I removed my IM yesterday and put in a black iceolator in under an hour. If you print instructions from some of the threads here and get the right tools (flex head ratcheting box wrench), it's no problem at all. Plus if you do an insulator first then the ported IM, you'll essentially be doing the same thing a second time which will make the process even easier. I'm by no means a mechanic, since most of my installs invariably require a toothpick and q-tip to finish, so if I can do it, anyone can.
2011 IOM 1LT RS. K&N Typhoon CAI; Sequential taillights, SLP faded gill overlays, VMAX CNC ported TB, RX Ported IM, RX breather, 3/8" Black Ice-olator, OEM STB, 4 gauge pack, Alpine amp and sub, convertible spoiler, IOM painted rear diffuser, SS front and rear sways, SS front and rear struts and springs, Street Scene front splitter, IOM hideaway headlight covers, 5% window tint.
motley1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
cam fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by motley1987 View Post
Don't let the install scare you off... I'm by no means a mechanic, since most of my installs invariably require a toothpick and q-tip to finish, so if I can do it, anyone can.
thanks for the encouragement! and lol that's funny