Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 05-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Alrighty Then

Drives: 2010 V6 M6 Camaro
Autocrossing

Lining up my first autocross event next month and wondering if I should think about doing anything to my car beforehand? I have a v6 manual transmission Camaro. I'm not worried about adding any power or even changing up the tires since its only my first time trying this out, but what I am worried about are the stock brakes. I've read on here that the stock v6 brakes start to fade out pretty quickly and I've even experienced first hand my brakes start to get unresponsive after some brisk driving where I have to consecutively get on the brakes hard. What are some things I could do to diminish this problem, short of switching to SS Brembos or a big brake upgrade? And anything else I should be conscious of? Thanks guys.
Alrighty Then is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
I've never auto crossed but for paint care, painters tape on the gills and rear bumper is what I'd do
Lil' Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Cynthius

Drives: '11 2LT/RS (M6) & '85 Toyota MR2
A break fluid flush may help your fade issue. If you've got any moisture in there, it's possible that the fluid's boiling point be altered which can drastically impact performance under stress.

Never auto crossed mind you, but it was a tip I recieved from the organiser before I did my first lapping day because: "Trust me, you don't want to have any unexpected fade when you're barrelling down on Porshe entering a turn!" as he said. I could be wrong 'cause I'm passing on 3rd party info, but it was from a pro driver...
Old 05-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
add a few extra LBS of air to each tire beforehand, and bring a helmet.

Check the lugnuts to make sure all are torque'd equally. Remove anything loose in the car (also, remove the floor mats).

You don't need to do much of anything to your car.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
RoachDad

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
lapping day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthius View Post
Never auto crossed mind you, but it was a tip I recieved from the organiser before I did my first lapping day because: ...
Excuse my ignorance. What is a "Lapping Day"?
RoachDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
Cynthius

Drives: '11 2LT/RS (M6) & '85 Toyota MR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoachDad View Post
Excuse my ignorance. What is a "Lapping Day"?
Hey RoachDad... Lapping day was a day at the track where drivers were split into groups based on skill/experience and for a fee, get to run laps in their cars. In this case they were not timed but there was traffic to keep things interesting, about 26-28 cars per group.

Hope that helps
Old 06-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
Synner

Drives: cars
Flush the brake/clutch fluid and a new set of pads would be an inexpensive way to at least reduce fade. Finding brembos eventually would be good once you get addicted. For the first time out just have fun, talk to everyone, and get some pointers from others. Skill is far more important than parts. Although sway bars would be a decent initial purchase.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Li0nel1234
What should I name my car

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via AIM to Li0nel1234
Your stock car will be fine at an Autocross. As for your brakes, new fluid would probably be all you need to help your fade. Check your club's novice tips page for more tips about things like getting the right air pressures in your tires, etc. Your car will be in GS G-stock. You'll be up against GTIs and such. You're going to have a blast! Ask some of the regulars to ride along in their runs to see how they run the course if you're not working the course or in between your runs. Most people are very hesitant to run their car hard at first, riding with those guys will show you that you can be hard on the gas and the brakes. You're not taking grandma to church. Have fun!
Performance: ARH 2"/"3 headers + ARH 3" HF catback system, SS brake lines, hawk HP+ pads, motul RBF 600 fluid, K&N CAI (w/custom insulation), plug wires, air scoop, Hurst STS, Pedders Track II suspension, 18x10 wheels, 295/45/18 Nitto NT05s
Looks: powder coated iom calipers, LED foglights w/ always on harness, custom painted bowties, window tint, smoke tinted tail lights etc, oem gfx w/ custom outlets, painted taillight bezels, all weather trunk mat
Li0nel1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
SS_Killer

Drives: 2010LSM6
No worries about the brakes Alrighty. A 1-minute auto-x run usually requires 2 or three serious stabs and a little in between. SS_Killer's brakes never even notice it. 74,000 miles and they are still like new.

And, ahem, the 2012 Solo rule book puts you in D Stock. Last year your LS would have been in G Stock.

A nice introductory write-up for a Solo Novice is posted on the South Bend Region's web site here. http://www.sbrscca.org/solo/solotour/index.html The author, Lloyd Loring has learned and forgotten things I will never know about Solo. Talk about a veteran.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
Alrighty Then

Drives: 2010 V6 M6 Camaro
Thanks for all the info so far guys!
Alrighty Then is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
you are going to love it be ready to start looking at suspension up grades. take it easy your first run really feel the car out. then go for it
Old 06-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
Mrs Synergy SATX
Debbie

Drives: 2010 Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li0nel1234 View Post
Your stock car will be fine at an Autocross. As for your brakes, new fluid would probably be all you need to help your fade. Check your club's novice tips page for more tips about things like getting the right air pressures in your tires, etc. Your car will be in GS G-stock. You'll be up against GTIs and such. You're going to have a blast! Ask some of the regulars to ride along in their runs to see how they run the course if you're not working the course or in between your runs. Most people are very hesitant to run their car hard at first, riding with those guys will show you that you can be hard on the gas and the brakes. You're not taking grandma to church. Have fun!

Lionel is our mentor He learnt us good If you flush brake fluid look at DOT 4 fluid FTW. Even that isn't absolutely necessary. If you get hooked ( most likely will) then look at fluid and Hawk brake pads. Then comes suspension wheels a helmet stickers posters national tours....