Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #99
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
I paid $4.09 for Super Unleaded in the Rochester area yesterday.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #100
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post

Over the year, price of fuel has increased 60 cents a gallon and we feel HAPPY to be paying that. We need to raise some noise, fuel prices are WAY to high still. Its all BS.
raise noise by buying fuel efficient cars!!!!!!! I bought a 4cyl malibu as a daily...it holds 4 gals less that the Camaro and lasts twice as long. If people bought more fuel efficient cars as primary drivers the demand would go down. Use trucks/SUVs for work(not driving to and from)/family trips and use fuel efficient cars for running around town. Some Americans are too proud to be seen in econo boxes I suppose.
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #101
1hotchevy
Scottish Knight

Drives: RS/2SS 6 speed manual
4.49 a gallon here in everett wa. and we have the refinery right here!! i took a trip to spokane wa, and payed 30 cents a gallon less!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #102
PsychoZL1

Drives: 2015 Challenger SRT
It seems to me that the closer you are to the East or West Coast, the more we're being gouged by the gas companies.

It would be interested to see what all the "investigations" find regarding the high gas prices, especially considering oil is down to around $82/barrel. It will probably just say it's due to supply and demand, not greedy ass oil companies taking us for all we're worth!

I also have no doubt that the oil companies will report record profits this year too! Gee, I wonder why!
PsychoZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #103
ss409cid

Drives: 2011 SS RS Convertible
$3.23 Exxon premium in Myrtle Beach, and its still a ripoff...
Old 06-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #104
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoRS View Post
It seems to me that the closer you are to the East or West Coast, the more we're being gouged by the gas companies.

It would be interested to see what all the "investigations" find regarding the high gas prices, especially considering oil is down to around $82/barrel. It will probably just say it's due to supply and demand, not greedy ass oil companies taking us for all we're worth!

I also have no doubt that the oil companies will report record profits this year too! Gee, I wonder why!
Such misplaced anger. It's so wrong bashing business vs taxes. 6% net profit by oil companies
is not gouging, it's a mark up on billions in investment they are entitled to imo.
Try government for a change- 51 cent a gallon State tax here in Ct is gouging imo.
Know what your talking about before you mouth off....
By the way, A gallon of reg here is $3.75.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #105
PsychoZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Such misplaced anger. It's so wrong bashing business vs taxes. 6% net profit by oil companies
is not gouging, it's a mark up on billions in investment they are entitled to imo.
Try government for a change- 51 cent a gallon State tax here in Ct is gouging imo.
Know what your talking about before you mouth off....
By the way, A gallon of reg here is $3.75.
So sorry I missed one, it's a combination of the greedy oil companies and the greedy government!

Maybe Obama will save us all! Oh, nevermind!

Last edited by PsychoZL1; 06-12-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #106
Wijns07

Drives: 2012 2LT RS 45th Anniversary
4.29 Bellingham, WA
CAI - Intake
Limo - Tint
www.super-rat.com
Wijns07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #107
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
$3.60 per gal premium 93 octane.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #108
fielderLS3

Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoRS View Post

You have it all wrong. The oil industry has one of the LOWEST profit margins of any business, since selling gas is actually one of the most cut-throat competitive businesses there is. This is because it is one of the most visible prices out there, and is one that most people are extremely sensitive to, more so than the price of almost everything else.

I find it amazing how if gas goes up even a dime, people absolutely scream and demand "something must be done." Yet when the same station sells water for $10-$15 a gallon, or the price of Pepsi goes up $1-2 a gallon in a single step, or when GM and Ford raise the price of a Camaro or Mustang almost $800 and $1100 in a year respectively, most people don't say a word, or even notice.

East and West coast prices (and when I say East Coast, what I really mean is Northeast....the Southeast has the cheapest gas in the country right now), are higher because of the very specialized blends that are mandated by the EPA, and in some cases the states themselves in those markets.

Those very specialized blends are expensive to make. It also means there is a lot less slack if there are problems at refineries, which there are bound to be when you consider that they are generally 40 years old or older. It's been worse this year, because a few have gone out of business, because they were LOSING money, because of the combination of high input prices (oil), and weak demand for the finished product (gas) was pinching them at both ends. Did you know that at one point last fall, the "crack" between oil and gas was actually negative (i.e. a gallon of gas was selling for less than the price of a gallon of crude oil).

And also, oil on the coasts is not $82 a barrel. WTI oil is $82 a barrel because of the enormous glut of Canadian oil flowing into the middle of the country, which is why gas is so much cheaper in the Midwest and South, which is supplied by refineries using the $82 oil. Gas in the Northeast is more likely to be made from oil bought from the Brent market, which is still somewhere around $100 a barrel.

So on the coasts, crude oil is a lot more expensive, refinery capacity is limited and strained, environmental mandates are more expensive and difficult to comply with, and in most cases, state gas taxes are a lot higher. That is why gas is more expensive there, not because the oil companies are "gouging." They really can't gouge, because their business is too competetive. If anything, they are making more per gallon in the heartland were gas is cheapest, because they have the benefit of having cheaper crude oil to refine there, and cheaper blends.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #109
ROBOSSRS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Inferno Orange
$2.95 per gallon for premium with my discount.
ROBOSSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #110
PsychoZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
You have it all wrong. The oil industry has one of the LOWEST profit margins of any business, since selling gas is actually one of the most cut-throat competitive businesses there is.

I find it amazing how if gas goes up even a dime, people absolutely scream and demand "something must be done."

I find that hard to believe that oil companies have a low profit margin when they consistently report making BILLIONS of dollars more in profit than previous years!

Maybe the oil industry is weak in the U.S. right now due to economy and the fact that we haven't built any new refineries in this country in decades and drilling permits are hard to come by, but the oil industry is far from hurting as bad as other industries.

Last edited by PsychoZL1; 06-12-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #111
Trailbreaker77

Drives: 2010 Transformers Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
You have it all wrong. The oil industry has one of the LOWEST profit margins of any business, since selling gas is actually one of the most cut-throat competitive businesses there is. This is because it is one of the most visible prices out there, and is one that most people are extremely sensitive to, more so than the price of almost everything else.
Trailbreaker77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #112
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Low profit MARGIN. High volume. You don't need to make 10% on every sale when you're selling so much.

All you crying about how much oil producers make should just go out and find, then bring your own crude oil to market and you'll be right there with them. Easy right? What could be simpler? Let's see, just need some pipe and a drill of some kind...and some way to figure out where to find crude oil...and some way to transport it...and permission to drill where I eventually find it...and, and , and...

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote