Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #435
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypab2133 View Post
Crazy outta your mind. Sorry for being blunt. Yes the zl1 will out autox the stang. No it will not even get near it on the open road. Gear, HP/weight all favor the ford.

As for the bad drivers? I think all the journalists proved that BOTH cars were surprisingly easy to get the power to the ground. Everyone asked for marry Poppins to take over the muscle cars with driver assists, now we get the help and it appears its still not good enough for some drivers. Have you ever sat back and thought some for some folks these cars are just "out of their league". Just because someone can AFFORD to buy it doesn't make it a wise decision don't you think?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Lets be honest here, you can only go so fast for so long before you end up in jail or dead.

The only out of their league would be price, just because a car can go fast doesn't mean you have to take it there.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #436
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
All of this discussion reminds me of a Viper vs. Z06 / ZR1 discussion. At the end of the day, performance wise, the SRT 10 and Z06/ZR1 are very close cars for the average person. The Corvettes have MRC, launch control, traction control, and the interior options to make it more livable on a daily basis. The Viper has radio/nav and rear defroster only (no cruise control, no traction control, etc…) , is harder to get into, and the exhaust will burn your legs if you don’t watch it. The Viper gets speed and handling from traditional setup while the Corvette uses technology to get there.

Many guys have both cars in their garage but if it came down to it the Corvette would get the boot even if it is more practical. They love the rawness and extreme looks of the Viper, the fact that it is unique and you can’t buy a ‘base model’ for 50k.

Not all of these points apply to the GT500 and ZL1 comparison but it is similar. ZL1 is more comfortable. GT500 has that 662 HP that is hard to ignore. They are relatively close in performance for the average person and relatively close in price.

Point being, at the end of the day it is hard to go wrong with either and you can argue to your death but you’ll never make a good case for everyone that one car is better than the other. There are some facts that are proven (ZL1 has more consistent braking / GT500 has better acceleration) and some that are non-conclusive (balance of either car is better) and some that are subjective (Looks, etc.).

A few people are truly comparing the two to decide what to buy, others who have the money are only comparing for fun or to make themselves feel better about what they have or will buy, most don’t have the money and must be getting caught up in the arguments for argument sake.

I will say if you are making a spreadsheet with a row in it for ‘delicate ******s’ you belong in that category yourself.

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #437
A-little-perspective

Drives: 2011 C63
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
Your first mistake is assuming that most people who buy $60k cars buy them with 0 down. Most people who can afford to buy such cars don't get there by abusing credit. Many pay cash. There are many people out there that don't finance any of their cars. And when you are paying cash for a car like this, you do care what the final price is.
No. 0 down was to level playing field, provide a simple base case scenario. I have no idea what people do with their money. I am simply showing the difference in cost between $55k and $65k. The point was to show that the cost difference between each vehicle, in a base case finance scenario, isn't that great.
A-little-perspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #438
jonny5cam

Drives: IOM SS/RS LS3/6sp. man.
Slanted comparison

Again, they compare a production car right off the assembly line"ZL1" against an aftermaket "Shelby"...apples to oranges. Why not compare the shelby with a, let's say a "Lingenfelder" ZL1! The ZL1 is close to 500lbs heavier, and has almost 100 less horsepower. The weight difference is good for a half second alone in the quarter! Did the writer ever once mention any of these facts? What a load of crap!...Even after all that was stacked against it i'd say the Camaro is still twice the car.
jonny5cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #439
devildog1679

Drives: Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Another troll Don't know what or who you're getting you're information but everybody knows that the GT500 is a beast, you're just posting you're little diagram just to be argumentative and looking to get your feelings assuaged.......awww -somebody said the gt500 couldn't do this... and it couldn't do that...- oh boohoo, I'm sorry you're little feelings were hurt. Feel better now?
Troll no, I may get shot for saying this but if money would not have been an option I would have gotten the Camaro. Given the choice B/W a ZL1 and GT500 I would get the ZL1. My first car was a 95 Z28, and I'm interested in a all around package, speed, handling, and comfort. I can admit that the Shelby is behind the ZL1 in all around package.

At the same time I can admit when a car is the better/faster car in the hands of a driver that knows what they are doing.
devildog1679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #440
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny5cam View Post
Again, they compare a production car right off the assembly line"ZL1" against an aftermaket "Shelby"...apples to oranges. Why not compare the shelby with a, let's say a "Lingenfelder" ZL1! The ZL1 is close to 500lbs heavier, and has almost 100 less horsepower. The weight difference is good for a half second alone in the quarter! Did the writer ever once mention any of these facts? What a load of crap!...Even after all that was stacked against it i'd say the Camaro is still twice the car.

Once again the Shelby is a production car not aftermarket. Ford just uses the name Shelby, and that is ALL ...
Old 06-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #441
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny5cam View Post
look it up dude, the SHELBIY IS A FREAKING PRODUCTION CAR THAT COMES OFF A FORD ASSEMBLY LINE AND IS NOT SENT ANYWHERE FOR MODIFICATION!!!!!!!!!
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #442
1hotchevy
Scottish Knight

Drives: RS/2SS 6 speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberB5.Slow View Post
I'd still prefer a straight line car than a corner carver anyday. I'd rather have the advantage where I can use it anywhere on any road where 99% of driving will take place, rather than making excuses, "Well if we were at the Autocross..." . GT500 in my book, it's faster and more powerful.

If I wanted a corner carver I'd build a kickass 240 for half the money and smoke both cars on the track.

But each to their own! If it wasn't for this rivalry these cars wouldn't exsist today.

if i wanted a straightline car id buy a hennesy and smoke both of them!
id say just have fun and know that both are built in america! gotta love it...smoke them rice burners.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #443
1hotchevy
Scottish Knight

Drives: RS/2SS 6 speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Another troll Don't know what or who you're getting you're information but everybody knows that the GT500 is a beast, you're just posting you're little diagram just to be argumentative and looking to get your feelings assuaged.......awww -somebody said the gt500 couldn't do this... and it couldn't do that...- oh boohoo, I'm sorry you're little feelings were hurt. Feel better now?

Id say put horsepower to horsepower even numbers and see what happens, with the same amount of ponies...wonder who would be crying then!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #444
oortcloud

Drives: 2013 ZL1 ordered
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-little-perspective View Post
No. 0 down was to level playing field, provide a simple base case scenario. I have no idea what people do with their money. I am simply showing the difference in cost between $55k and $65k. The point was to show that the cost difference between each vehicle, in a base case finance scenario, isn't that great.
It doesn't matter if you finance or not. That money still comes out of your pocket.

Are you really trying to say the difference between 55k and 65k is not that great? I can't even believe we are having this discussion. Most people examine and compare price on just about everything they buy. A car is certainly no different.

I'm not wealthy but I can afford either car. The performance of both cars is amazing. But why should I pay a premium for a car that falls significantly short of my expectations in some areas? In a few years these cars will be old news and I can use that 6-8k I saved to buy my next car.

IMO this is just being smart with my money. But again this is because of my expectations. The zl1 may fall short of your expectations, and so you might be able to justify the extra expense.
oortcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #445
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hotchevy View Post
Id say put horsepower to horsepower even numbers and see what happens, with the same amount of ponies...wonder who would be crying then!
Still the Shelby, it DOES have a 300 pound weight advantage pluse on the dragstrip, the SRA is better for launching. The 11-212 GT500 runs basically idendical to the ZL1 at the strip with 550 HP, again, because of the weight advantage.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #446

Drives: Cadillac on four flats
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny5cam
!!
Loading..... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #447
Topher3134

Drives: delete me
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hotchevy View Post
This makes no sense! Thats like saying "well put IRS on both of them and magnetic ride control and see who is crying then."

I am partial to the zl1 cause I have a camaro. But drag strip to drag strip numbers show that we really don't have a chance. u put slicks on the gt500 and it will only get faster. put slicks and a tune on your zl1 u better buy some axles and a rear end. Just saying. I dont drag race because to me its not that exciting. But fast is fast. And since thats really the only thing the gt500 wins then give it to them. I would rather have a fun driver.
Topher3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #448
willisit

Drives: Vauxhall Monaro VXR
As I live in the UK, I don't see either of these cars with any kind of regularity, in any form - and will likely be lucky to ever see a GT500 or ZL1 on a UK road (beyond car shows, I mean).

So - having recently been in Canada and the US - I can say that I'd LOVE to be in your position and drive these cars on a daily basis. The Mustang looks petite - it's a really pretty car now (moreso than the initial model) and the Camaro just looks the business.

I'm a GM guy - so I'd get the Camaro. And to that end, a ZL1 if I were lucky enough to be able to. Why? Because is why.

Great work on both GM/Ford's part and long may it continue.
2001 Honda CBR 600 F
willisit is offline   Reply With Quote