Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
too much work to participate.

1, 2, 3: its easy to find good and bad in any car (except land rovers, I hate them all)

4. about 20 different cars....i need a bigger garage.

5. porsche/ford/chevrolet all tied for 3rd

6. F1, can't race it, obviously, so I race a shifter kart (and NHRA/IHRA Super Stock)
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #16
Atlas
Would you kindly...

Drives: Destitute
#1. Best car you have ever owned?
Toyota MR-S
#1b. List 5 things that made it great.
i. Lightweight
ii. Unique
iii. Grassroots community of enthusiasts
iv. Mid engine
v. Fun with a turbo

#1c. List 5 things that you didn't like.
i. Mid Engine
ii. snapoversteer
iii. Scary on the touge
iv. Match the tires or it could be your life
v. Worse car ever to transition from track to DD

#2. Your Current favoured Car (From the previous responses, I gather that this is for the car we currently own, yes?)
2010 Camaro LT/RS

#2b. List 5 good things about it.
i. Looks
ii. Space ship greenhouse
iii. Comfortable
iv. Exterior mods are fun
v. Fun to drive

#2c. List 5 things wrong with it.
i. Transmission!!!
ii. A few quips with interior quality
iii. To me, performance mods aren't as fun with this platform as with my previous cars
iv. Ricer/Douche Magnet
v. steering wheel

#2d. Name 2 cars you would trade it for. Straight trade, money no object.
Camaro 1LE, 392 Challenger

#3. Car you hate most available for sale today
Fiat 500, Mini Cooper

#3b. Why do you hate it?
Hipsters, mid life crises
#3c. Name several good things about it.
Small, very European. Fun at the track or autocross

#4. Used car other than a GM, Ford or Mopar from 1990 to 2010 that you would and could buy (No Veyron unless you can pay cash)
LS2 SAP GTO

#5. Second favorite car company.
Ford

#6. Favorite form of Motorsport
LeMans, BTCC, F1, NASCAR, Time Attack
Old 07-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #17
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
#1. Best car you have ever owned? 1991 Mustang GT
#1b. List 5 things that made it great. Completely custom, 12 sec street car, 100% reliable, car show winner, head turner at rest or in motion
#1c. List 5 things that you didn't like. Harsh ride, weak manual transmission, expensive insurance, crappy factory radio, vandalism magnet

#2. Your Current favoured Car 2012 Camaro 2SS Transformers Edition
#2b. List 5 good things about it. Attention-getter, comfortable, rides nice, cheap insurance (as compared to other similar cars), looks custom even though it's factory
#2c. List 5 things wrong with it. Expensive, poor fuel economy, crappy paint, crappy paint, crappy paint
#2d. Name 2 cars you would trade it for. Straight trade, money no object. 2013 Shelby Mustang, 2012 Ferrari F12berlinetta

#3. Car you hate most available for sale today Nissan Cube
#3b. Why do you hate it? It's a block of ice on wheels
#3c. Name several good things about it. Sorry, not possible

#4. Used car other than a GM, Ford or Mopar from 1990 to 2010 that you would and could buy (No Veyron unless you can pay cash) 2007 Mazda 6

#5. Second favorite car company. Mazda

#6. Favorite form of Motorsport Drag racing
Old 07-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #18
_Nick_

Drives: '87 T/A, '87 IROC, '70 Grand Prix
- 2000 Grand Marquis

- super quiet
- extremely reliable
- bulletproof 281ci motor
- great ride quality
- it's a full-size American sedan

#1c. List 5 things that you don't like.
- carriage roof
- slow
- cupholders

#2. Your Current favoured Car
- 1987 Trans Am

- looks stunning
- T-tops
- torquey V8
- handles like it's on rails
- good looking interior

- half of the car is faded, due to the PO only repainting the quarter panels
- loose chassis
- automatic
- rubber spoiler

- if I wasn't emotionally attached to it, 73 Trans Am SD-455 4-speed, or an 84 Trans Am 305 H.O. 5-speed

- Toyota Prius

#3b. Why do you hate it?
- Owners are usually environmentalist assclowns, that will preach to others about the damage they're doing to the environment, when they don't even know enough about their own car to know it does more damage to the environment before it leaves the factory than if I drove my Trans Am for the rest of my life.

- decent gas mileage.
That's all I got.

#4. Used car other than a GM, Ford or Mopar from 1990 to 2010 that you would and could buy (No Veyron unless you can pay cash)
- 1998 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4

- First would be Pontiac, second would be Ford
Old 07-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #19

Drives: 2011 Z06, 2004 Cobra, 1991 MR2Turbo

This is pretty good. Made me really think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post

2011 Z06

Performance - Handling and pretty fast for a stock car
Look - sexy and love the fender flares
Sound - can't wait to do H/C/I
Corvette camaraderie
thanks to GM for giving me a huge discount off the msrp

Can't wait to mod it but want warranty to expire
Will never be able to drive it to its full potential
Corvette tax
2004 Cobra seats are more supportive
Gas and brake pedals are too far apart and not on same level to easily heel toe, Had to replace factory tires because they suck

2004 Terminator

The whine is amazing and also love the hollow Mustang exhaust tone
Raw power and feeling of the car
Easy to mod
Subtle, aggressive look - also a sleeper "just another old Mustang" to people who don't know about the car
Not many on road

Heavy
Heat soak
Handling
Was still in school when they were released and couldn't buy a new one
Headers sit too low and easy to hit bumps. my Z06 is lower but headers are further up

Ford GT
2000 Cobra R

BMW X6

#3b. Why do you hate it?

What the hell is that thing anyway?

At least there is a M version

Acura NSX with the pop up lights
AP2 S2000 and add a Comptech supercharger
Toyota Supra TT
Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 1st Gen
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 2nd Gen

I don't even have a favorite car company.

Endurance racing
Old 07-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #20
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg11 View Post

#4. Used car other than a GM, Ford or Mopar from 1990 to 2010 that you would and could buy (No Veyron unless you can pay cash)i cant buy shit im a college student

Brilliant. Great response.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
9c1ny

Drives: C6 Zed-oh-six
#1. Best car you have ever owned?- 2008 Z06
#1b. List 5 things that made it great. performance, performance, performance, performance, performance
#1c. List 5 things that you didn't like. corvette tax, tire wear, possible exhaust valve failure, scraping the air dam on everything, not having enough free time to drive it!

#2. Your Current favoured Car- see above
numbers matching unrestored 1969 428 cobra jet mustang, ZR1

#3. Car you hate most available for sale today- don't really hate anything in particular, maybe pickup trucks
#3b. Why do you hate it?- the toothless idiots who put flowmasters on them and drive them like they are a Nascar
#3c. Name several good things about it.- towing capacity, ability to move large objects

maybe a Jag or a Porsche

#5. Second favorite car company. Ford/Mopar- tie

drag racing
Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #22
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Love the responses so far.

"2. Your Current favoured Car (From the previous responses, I gather that this is for the car we currently own, yes?)." YES

I'm quite amazed that a car company on life support, Mazda has been name checked so often here. They are actually my favorite car company... Literally everything they make has an enthusiast fingerprint on it. And as far as I'm concerned the last generation RX-7 was stunning, especially sans any aero add ons. I've owned 3 Miata's, a 3, a MX-6, a Mercury Tracer, Mazda 5 and my current wintercar, a Mazda 3 all without any issues and all have been a blast to drive. I've also imported and sold some magnificent JDM models. I hope someone who respects the car culture there comes along to save the Company.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #23
101fng

Drives: 2009 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Nick_ View Post
- 2000 Grand Marquis
I freakin love the grand marquis. The marauder is hands down my favorite family sedan of all time. I know the market isn't really there for the performance sedans, but I hope to see ford and GM give it another try and bring back the crown vics and caprices with the 5.0's and LS3's, respectively. THAT is a car that I would trade my 09 GT in on without flinching. Nothing says badass quite like four doors and a V8.
101fng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #24
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101fng View Post
.... Nothing says badass quite like four doors and a V8.
One of my previous cars was a 4 door RWD V8. I had a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. That car was sweet!
After an Intake, catback, and tune, it was even more impressive.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #25
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Enjoying this thread. Personally am just thrilled that American muscle cars are making a comeback.

#1. Best car you have ever owned? 1998 Ford Explorer
#1b. List 5 things that made it great. Incredible handling in snow, comfort, solid proven V8, flexibility of use (passengers and cargo), and most importantly it was rugged enough to go underneath the side of a tractor trailer and then into interstate wall but I was able to walk away with glass cuts and a slight strained knee.
#1c. List 5 things that you didn't like. Handling on water (hydroplaning - see above), plastic on signal and shifters bubbled badly (typical of most cars), leather seats cracked, 4WD was not switchable - was automatic AWD, and that the vehicle was absolutely undriveable after going underneath the side of a tractor trailer and then into interstate wall.

#2. Your Current favoured Car 2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS
#2b. List 5 good things about it. brings a smile to my face and my heart going by stepping on the gas, driving it topdown, good gas mileage on a muscle car, comraderie it brings among car enthusiasts (beyond brand loyalists), comfort cruising - surprisingly good.
#2c. List 5 things wrong with it. numerous minor defects, sound (weak on the automatics, though great for quiet cruising - not so good for the ego), hard plastic bits - dash, door panels, vents, etc are cheap and scratch and scuff easily, top down without boot cover the top ripples and flutters in wind and with the boot cover installed concerns of it lifting and floating away (boot cover currently flutters a bit but stays put), too many of the desired mods that void warranty that would wake the car up (including minor tunes).
#2d. Name 2 cars you would trade it for. Straight trade, money no object. 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible, my dad's 1928 Chevy National (he met my mom in it on a blind date 52 years ago)

#3. Car you hate most available for sale today Mitzubishi i-MiEV (tied with Smart forTwo for ugliest)
#3b. Why do you hate it? ugliest vehicle and one that I would be concerned for my life driving/riding in one (not even considering the damage to ego being seen in one)
#3c. Name several good things about it. The i-MiEV is one of the greenest vehicles out there when it comes to gas consumpiton ... though uncertain about the full environmental impact of manufacturing and battery production/disposal.

#4. Used car other than a GM, Ford or Mopar from 1990 to 2010 that you would and could buy (No Veyron unless you can pay cash) current interests are for either a Ford F-250 or F-350 Crew Cab or Chevrolet 2500/3500 or Pontiac G8 GT/GXP, but none of these fit the parameters of non-domestic Big 3 ... not a fan of most of the imports, though Audi, Mercedes, and BMW have some sharp looking vehicles ... possibly go with a Subaru Impreza WRX?

#5. Second favorite car company. Not loyal to specific brand, there are vehicles in each companies lineups that are sharp though I am less enthralled with the Japanese imports ... Ford is favored for trucks, Chevy for cars.

#6. Favorite form of Motorsport Any that I am participating in, be it dragracing or autocross. As a spectator, less inclined to spend time watching, but prolly prefer NASCAR (road racing - Watkins Glen preferred).
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #26
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
1. Best car I've owned is my 2011 SS. (I've only owned 3 vehicles: 1978 Camaro LT, 2004 Silverado, 2011 SS)
GOOD: LS3, M6, ride quality, brakes, looks
BAD: Massive SUV wheel/tire combo, visibility (only in tight parking lots), weight, transmission 1-2 grind (occasional)

2. See above
Two cars I would trade for it (money no object): 2012 Porsche 911 GT2 RS or 2012 Corvette Z06 with Z07 handling package (yep, I'd get the Z06/Z07 over a ZR1)

3. Hated car today: Toyota Prius
WHY: Don't like political image associated with it, it's a boring transportation appliance, typical driver holds up traffic because they are "hypermiling", MPG is not impressive for what it is (I'd rather get a VW TDI if I'm looking for a MPG car)

4. Used car: '02-'07 Subaru WRX STI (fun car with huge aftermarket and I wouldn't feel as bad taking it off road/in snow since it's a used car)

5. Second favorite car company: Porsche/Ford/Subaru (Sorry....each one has a different reason)

6. Favorite motorsport: NASCAR (Grand Am and World Rally Championship are worth mentioning too)

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:08 AM   #27
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
#1. Best car you have ever owned? 1998 Camaro SS
#1b. List 5 things that made it great. Heads/Cam, upraded brakes, upgraded suspension, Staggered Wheels, Big tires.
#1c. List 5 things that you didn't like. Auto Trans, that's just about it.

#2. Your Current favoured Car: Dodge Charger R/T don't know if you can call it favoured.
#2b. List 5 good things about it. Big, comfy, good power, good trunk space, Hemi.
#2c. List 5 things wrong with it. brakes, soft shocks, gas mileage, open diff, and junk bushings
#2d. Name 2 cars you would trade it for. Straight trade, money no object. ZL1 and 1LE (so long it's a Camaro)

#3. Car you hate most available for sale today Fiat 500
#3b. Why do you hate it? small (it's a death trap)
#3c. Name several good things about it. none

#4. Used car other than a GM, Ford or Mopar from 1990 to 2010 that you would and could buy (No Veyron unless you can pay cash) BMW M5

#5. Second favorite car company. Toyota (only because my wife owns one)

#6. Favorite form of Motorsport Nascar

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:18 AM   #28
antimatr

Drives: 4 wheels + engine

Hmm...probably my '95 Z28.

1. It was my first car!
2. I thought it accelerated, handled and stopped quite well at the time. IMO it handled better than my '06 Mustang GT when I had a decent set of summer tires on it.
3. I loved (and still love) the looks of the LT1-powered 4th-gen Camaros.
4. Got some pretty decent gas mileage from it.
5. Quiet, stable and comfortable on the interstates; loved that 0.50:1 6th OD gear.

1. Reliability - The only time it left me stranded was when the battery on it died once, but I also went through a water pump and three Opti-Sparks in 7 years on the thing, no to mention maintenance wasn't exactly easy on it.
2. Visibility - never really did get used to the lack of it on this car, especially around the B-pillars, and the steeply-raked windshield didn't do me any favors, either
3. Build quality - Didn't care for most of the body panels being noticeably misaligned, or having the passenger side Z28 badge be 1/2-inch higher than the driver side, or, in the last year or two I had it, the interior steadily falling apart (sagging headliner, cracking dashboard, seams on the seats coming apart...) despite the car always being garaged and well-cared for. My '96 Nissan 200SX which I had at the same time, on the other hand, seemed far better put together inside and out, and despite being only a few months newer than my Camaro, didn't have a disintegrating interior despite my family abusing the hell out of it.
4. Size - Didn't care for how long the car was, especically the amount of front overhang; really made going up and down steep driveways interesting at times...
5. Color - I do not like red cars, to put it mildly. Only reason why I bought a red one was due to the fact that it nearly a year of searching, it was the only 6-speed 4th-gen I could find at the time that didn't have the piss beat out of it.

2011 Mustang GT

1. Performance - More than enough to get me in (or sometimes) out of trouble
2. Sound - just love the noise it makes when I floor it going up an interstate onramp
3. Looks - subjective area, yes...but, rear end aside (and the grille-mounted foglamps), I just love the overall aesthetics of it
4. Value for money - For what this car came with and what it can do, I thought it was damn near a steal (probably even moreso if I ordered a base GT)
5. Fuel economy - got around ~24-25mpg driving from Florida to Texas and back; averaged around 75-80mph...and sometimes a bit over.

1. No spare tire - Sure it's got a compressor with some goop in it, but what happens if I tear a sidewall? I would've gladly paid extra for a full-size spare, which I ended up making myself eventually.
2. Solid rear axle - I don't drag race. I also live in an area where some roads aren't much better than the side of the road (and sometimes worse). Pisses me off to no end that Ford sticks an IRS in freakin' Expedition, but not their only sports car.
3. Option packages/trim levels - I hate leather seats, nor do I want a 500-watt stereo or some gimmicky Sync thing which I haven't even used since I bought the car (I don't have a cellphone or iProducts). On the other hand, I dislike the base GT interior, and I also didn't care for the standard halogen headlamps on the '11-12 models and wanted HIDs. Of course, at the time, the only way to get factory HIDs was to get a Premium model. At least on my '06 I could get basically a Premium interior in an otherwise base car, but choices? Can't have those, noooo....at least you can get HIDs on a 1SS, and they've finally made HIDs standard on '13 Stangs.
4. Transmission - Haven't had any major issues with mine (other than a slightly crunchy 2nd gear when it's cold), but I've heard enough horror stories from other owners and Ford's apparent unwillingness/inability to rectify these issues that some serious seeds of doubt have been planted in my head. The fact that my trans is built by a bunch of communists doesn't make it any better.
5. Interior quality/design - Still light-years ahead of my Camaro, and my '06 Mustang, but still more cheap, hard plastics than there should be. And I realize the current Mustang's retro theme, but I would appreciated it if they left it to the exterior. I really don't care for the instrument panel layout/fonts on these cars. I'd really like a more driver-oriented (and modern) IP, not some wannabe 60s anachronism.

Realistically - 2013 Boss 302
Unrealistically - 1968 Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale

Toyota Camry (followed closely by the Chevy/GMC Tahoeyukon/Suburyukon XL, Ford Expedition, Toyota Sequoia, Nissan Armada...you get the picture)

#3b. Why do you hate it?
It's a banal, passionless, dreary 4-wheeled appliance, much like the majority of their current lineup. No personality whatsoever. If the Borg were forced to give up their cubes, it's what they'd drive. That and an apparent majority of owners think their choice in automotive blandness was approved by whatever almighty deity they worship as well as their Holy Book (Consumer Reports), and that the company that churns them out is utterly incapable of doing any wrongdoing, and their vehicles themselves are incapable of any faults whatsoever.
1. It (allegedly) beats walking.
2. Apparently, they have a reputation of starting up when you to turn the key...(much like their usually more interesting contemporaries.)

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT wagon 5-speed manual

Don't really have one. They've all (except the Chinese...) pretty much done something noteworthy/cool/awesome at one point, even Toyota, and they've also done something to make me shake my head at them or swear curse words in their direction at least once.

Oddly enough, I don't really keep track of any.

Gone: 2011 Ford Mustang GT Premium (Sterling Gray Metallic, HID/Security Pkg, Brembo Pkg, 6M)
Current: 2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack (Ivory White Tri-coat Pearl, Driver Convenience Grp, Leather Interior Grp, 8A)
Future(?): 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS (Hyper Blue Metallic, NPP, 56R, 6M) or Ford Mustang GT Premium (Lightning Blue Metallic, Active Exhaust, Performance Package, 401A Package, Spoiler Delete, 6M)
antimatr is offline   Reply With Quote