Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: Cam or Gears?
Cam (Night Fury or the likes) 45 45.00%
3.91 Gears (LS3 M6 Car) 55 55.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #71
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss/rs-matt View Post
Are you looking to buy 3.45s? I have the set out of my car with 6k miles on them I'll sell you cheap.
I wanted to order through GM the set from the 1LE because they are great quality but don't have the aftermarket price tag on it. I see many people picking them up for less than 300 (without install kit)... problem is 3.91 from the 1LE is probably too much if I want to go forced induction down the road.

It seems 3.45s are the best for a blown A6, but like cave said.. it is not a huge jump and it could be 10-24 months before I get a blower installed so I would like to have a little fun before it happens... but I am curious if a 3.7-3.91 will never hook with street tires or the Invo's I plan to buy next.... it is a street car, I don't launch all over the place but occasionally I like to let it rip.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #72
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
I wanted to order through GM the set from the 1LE because they are great quality but don't have the aftermarket price tag on it. I see many people picking them up for less than 300 (without install kit)... problem is 3.91 from the 1LE is probably too much if I want to go forced induction down the road.

It seems 3.45s are the best for a blown A6, but like cave said.. it is not a huge jump and it could be 10-24 months before I get a blower installed so I would like to have a little fun before it happens... but I am curious if a 3.7-3.91 will never hook with street tires or the Invo's I plan to buy next.... it is a street car, I don't launch all over the place but occasionally I like to let it rip.
come on if you can afford a blower, you can afford some tires.....
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #73
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
I have often debated this same quandry.... cam or gears? I love the sound and attitude of a cam but I'm affraid of loosing some low/mid torque and drivability. Now that I see that I can get GM 3.91's at a good price it's a no brainer for me! It'll be 3.91's! Cam will have to wait. I'm not going with FI so I think 3.91's would be perfect, even if I go with a cam in the future. So, my vote is for gears, at least for me. OP, go with what fits your future vision for where you want your performance level and usage to be. Lot of good advise here!

Edit: I just saw your budget was $2200-$2300. Heck, you could almost do both cam and GM 1LE 3.91's for that budget!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #74
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:

If I was in your shoes I would go 3.70 gears. Even if you go with a supercharger as long as your not in the 700+ RWHP range then you probably won't need the 3.45 gears. Most of the guys that go back to 3.45 are big motor, big PSI type cars. At least that's what I've seen on here.

With 3.91 gears on street tires my car hooks fine unless I want it not to. Turn off all the nannies, go about 5 mph or so, suck in the clutch and hammer it......it gets all crazy then. However, if I just drive in 1st gear close to 3k RPM and then just go WOT....the car just goes and it pulls way harder than before. That's where the butt dyno really loves me some gears.

At the track with steet tires and the gears I'm still hooking about the same as I was before. Not that it's great but I was expecting it to be worse with the gears. So far that hasn't been the case. I still got some 2.0 60' times last time I was out. I'll know more in the next couple months though when I take it out in cooler temps. The last couple times I was at the track, day time temps were in the 110 range and even at night we were in the mid 90's.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #75
Caliman93230

Drives: LS3S/C
are the 3.9 gears too much for a supercharged car? i don't really drag race, but wanted be able to get a quicker feel around town, the car still feels heavy I have 305 rear nitto RRR on my car and it hooks up good, any ways thanks for the help.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #76
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliman93230 View Post
are the 3.9 gears too much for a supercharged car? i don't really drag race, but wanted be able to get a quicker feel around town, the car still feels heavy I have 305 rear nitto RRR on my car and it hooks up good, any ways thanks for the help.
I don't have a supercharged car but if your car feels heavy with 3.45 gears then I can say that the 3.91 will really wake it up.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #77
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
come on if you can afford a blower, you can afford some tires.....
perhaps, but I cannot justify the cost... I don't have access to a strip here, so I have to drive a ways to get to one... because of that I will only be at the strip maybe once a year tops.

It is 99.9% street, and if I cannot hook on the street with the 3.7-3.91s and a blower it is a moot point.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #78
ss/rs-matt

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Quote:
perhaps, but I cannot justify the cost... I don't have access to a strip here, so I have to drive a ways to get to one... because of that I will only be at the strip maybe once a year tops.

It is 99.9% street, and if I cannot hook on the street with the 3.7-3.91s and a blower it is a moot point.
I sent you a PM.

ss/rs-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #79
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Quote:

well, I am sure you aren't planning on street racing, especially with treaded stock type tires, no matter what gear you're running..... it's not like you won't spin with 327s.....

I'd say a blower is the moot point in your case.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #80
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Torvec Isotorque Differentials

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We had a chance to check out he Isotorque Differentials at c5Fest3. I believe this is my next mod before my cam. I like the way it works with current or additional gearing to create better traction and control for the car.

I am a novice here, does anyone have an opinion on this product?

http://www.torvec.com/products/isotorque
Update...Build in process, Forged Rods, Pistons and rings, Johnson Lifters, NOVI1500 ECS SC, 13lb boost or more, LS3 Conversion 114/228/241 COMP CAM, Frostbite 4 row Aluminum radiator, 6L80 built, Circle D 6L80 PRO SERIES MULTI 258MM 2D, Stock 3.45 gears, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w/HF cat, X-Pipe, Lingenfelter dual fuel pump, E-85 flex sensor, ATI super damper pulley, Ported TB, 160 therm, Trans cooler, Pedder's sways/end links/sub frame bushings, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Coil overs. HP/TQ pending
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #81
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog View Post
Torvec Isotorque Differentials

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We had a chance to check out he Isotorque Differentials at c5Fest3. I believe this is my next mod before my cam. I like the way it works with current or additional gearing to create better traction and control for the car.

I am a novice here, does anyone have an opinion on this product?

http://www.torvec.com/products/isotorque
That's a very interesting product design... Wonder how good it works, how durable it is, and the cost?
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #82
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Im not sure, but I thought it was a very nice concept. I am going to give it a try when it releases. Im starting to do research on it now. Cost was around 1350 after a 300 dollar discount for signing up at the fest.
Update...Build in process, Forged Rods, Pistons and rings, Johnson Lifters, NOVI1500 ECS SC, 13lb boost or more, LS3 Conversion 114/228/241 COMP CAM, Frostbite 4 row Aluminum radiator, 6L80 built, Circle D 6L80 PRO SERIES MULTI 258MM 2D, Stock 3.45 gears, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w/HF cat, X-Pipe, Lingenfelter dual fuel pump, E-85 flex sensor, ATI super damper pulley, Ported TB, 160 therm, Trans cooler, Pedder's sways/end links/sub frame bushings, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Coil overs. HP/TQ pending

Last edited by edog; 08-21-2012 at 07:48 PM.
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #83
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
well, I am sure you aren't planning on street racing, especially with treaded stock type tires, no matter what gear you're running..... it's not like you won't spin with 327s.....

I'd say a blower is the moot point in your case.
If it is for me, then it is for 9 out of 10 owners on this website that purchase blowers..

With that approach, I should not have done headers, cam, gears because I won't use the power on the street....Even if someone were to dabble in street racing, he probably wouldn't have the space to tap into all that power.

because none of us will truly use that power on the street, but we buy those mods anyways, don't we? It's just fun to have it if you can and have the power there when you need it.. maybe its fun to take the car to shows?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #84
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Quote:
If it is for me, then it is for 9 out of 10 owners on this website that purchase blowers..

With that approach, I should not have done headers, cam, gears because I won't use the power on the street....Even if someone were to dabble in street racing, he probably wouldn't have the space to tap into all that power.

because none of us will truly use that power on the street, but we buy those mods anyways, don't we? It's just fun to have it if you can and have the power there when you need it.. maybe its fun to take the car to shows?
do it all!!! stop making excuses and drain that bank account!