Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
TocaSeries

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Oil? What type if mods installed

So I have a few questions here. With mods on the car including headers, cai, and a tune, do I use a different type of oil? I am seeing things all over the place about this. It seems like the oil everyone is suppose to use is dexos 5w30, but have been seeing some people post they are using 10w30 and 10w40. I also noticed some people use Mobil 1, Valvoline, etc, as long as they use one that is dexos certified.

So my question is, is 5w30 the only way we should be going to put oil in an SS? and also does using a filter like K&N make any difference at all?
TocaSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
the 10 and 11 Camaros had the Mobil 1 logo on the cap (as did the LS3/7/9 Corvettes). In 2012 all the caps were replaced with the Dexos logo. Mobil 1 is dexos certified. (dexos is a rating certification not a brand). I use Mobil 1 5w30 just like the caps used to say. Hell I even bought a 2010/2011 Cap that has the Mobil 1 logo on it.

Here come the rest of the answers and opinions on why they use a different grade/brand...
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
I would use what the manual calls for, no matter what bolt ons/tune you have added. Only time we deviate from that is when we have an engine built, and at that point we run what the builder tells us to.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
TocaSeries

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Just looked in the manual and this is what it says:

Viscosity Grade
SAE 5W-30 is the best viscosity
grade for the vehicle. Do not use
other viscosity grade oils such as
SAE 10W-30, 10W-40, or 20W-50.

So not sure why people put 10W-30 in. Also it looks like any oil brand is fine as it does not mention a specific brand to use, as long as it is dexos certified.
TocaSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
It's up to you as to what oil you use. Some will swear on Royal Purple, M1, or whatever they like to use. My car recommended M1 so that's what I use. As long as you use a GOOD synthetic that meets the recommended standards, you should be good to go. As far as filters go, there's a big difference between some of them. There's a couple of good comparisons running around the intraweb that will give you a good idea of who makes the better ones. Just from memory, I don't think there was anything special about the K&N oil filter. Purolator pure 1 filters are good and have a great drainback valve. It's also priced well. Many of the other filters have cardboard backings and weak drainback springs. That means your oil pressure will quickly bleed off when you turn the car off. This takes oil away from the heads which is one of the reasons cars have a tendency to "tick" when you first start them up.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote