Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #155
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermaro585HP View Post
I think there is a lot of bullshit in this thread. I was just told by my shop that Mobil 1 is a very good oil and to keep using it. The shop I use is Rodeheavers performance shop about 45 miles from Pittsburgh PA. I'm not saying that it is all BS but what the hell. Why would Chevy tell us to use it. I don't think they want all the extra cost of warranty work. Just saying...
A lot of people reading this thread agrees with you but are afraid to say so. Obviously if you have a heavily modded engine then the rules are different. However, for the majority on here I just don't see M1 etc with proper OCI being a problem. Someone posted the write-up in this thread on the BITOG website and it didn't appear to me to make much of a stir. I assume the reason for this is because over the years this same thing comes up now and then.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #156
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
I think there is a lot of bullshit in this thread. I was just told by my shop that Mobil 1 is a very good oil and to keep using it. The shop I use is Rodeheavers performance shop about 45 miles from Pittsburgh PA. I'm not saying that it is all BS but what the hell. Why would Chevy tell us to use it. I don't think they want all the extra cost of warranty work. Just saying...
Most of us on here are not dealing with stock cars that we take back and forth to work or to the grocery store.

As for ourselves...we push the cars to the limits and past.

Like with anything else take it for what you will. I don't make oil, nor do I plan on doing so. This is something we have been seeing over the years and see to be a growing issue with those that mod the engines and push them.

I will say this. If you own a stock, restored '60's Muscle car with flat tappets in the car..you will see very quickly how bad M1 is with those setups.
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #157
RBL

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS
Quote:
Chevy does not know that most of use have a big cam installed with stiff ass springs and a blower running 10lb of boost. On a stock car Mobil one is going to be just fine.
RBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #158
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Imho I wouldn't use any "new standards oil" in a modified engine.
Royal Purple basically says their own API Oils are not your best bet for modified engines and I believe the OP and others have said they have had issues with RP and others and have seen and documented damage using them.

"Royal Purple’s API-licensed* engine oils are formulated specifically to meet current American Petroleum Institute (API), International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC), and Association des Constructeurs Européens d’Automobiles (ACEA) specifications for new vehicle warranties. Over the last several years, these specifications have become increasingly stringent on certain additives, particularly those commonly used for anti-wear. As such, the new warranty restrictions aren’t the best solution for consumers that have modified their vehicles or those simply looking for the greatest performance.

That being said Have been around some pretty big Street/Strip builds that have been using their HPS Oil( has a pretty high anti wear Zinc/Phosphorus content)Maybe the jury is still out it hasn't been around that long. Have been running it without issue and will continue to do so.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly

Last edited by SSBUSDRVR; 11-19-2012 at 05:45 AM.
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #159
POS Dakota

Drives: GMs and Chryslers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony @ LG Motorsports View Post
Even our friends at the dealers are seeing issues with stock cars having lifter issues.

While it is very important for those upgrading the cars, it is still important for the average joe as well....at least if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.
What are your opinions on the zinc content vs the oil fil strength itself?
What are the problems with these hydraulic lifters, and what are better replacements?
POS Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #160
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS Dakota View Post
What are your opinions on the zinc content vs the oil fil strength itself?
What are the problems with these hydraulic lifters, and what are better replacements?
The problem is that the current 'shelf' oils don't have enough film strength to keep oil between the lifter and the cam so the roller will sometimes stop turning or the lifter will dig into the camshaft. It can also turn the lifter in the holder as well....

It isn't a lifter problem...the best lifters in the world would still fail if they are not getting the proper lubrication.
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #161
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
A lot of people reading this thread agrees with you but are afraid to say so. Obviously if you have a heavily modded engine then the rules are different. However, for the majority on here I just don't see M1 etc with proper OCI being a problem. Someone posted the write-up in this thread on the BITOG website and it didn't appear to me to make much of a stir. I assume the reason for this is because over the years this same thing comes up now and then.

Yes. Nothing wrong with M1 for passenger cars not modified and driven easy. For years we used the old formulation of M1 even in our alky drg motors with excellent results. It is just those running their car hard and the modified ones with higher lift cams that really have to be concerned with the current formulation of shelf oils.

For hard driven cars it is a small price to pay for the peace of mind a premium oil will give.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #162
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
I've been looking for different oil filters for my next change. Now, it seems like the Amsoil 15k50 is great, and some other popular ones are the Napa Gold, Mobil 1 M1-113, and the K&N HP-1017.

What's your thoughts on those. I've been researching a lot lately about who manufacturers these filters, as well as their consistency in manufacturing filters.

Thanks
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #163
TocaSeries

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Im so confused, I just put Mobil 1 full syn in my car because ton of threads saying that was a great oil to use....and now.....im confused. I dont have a crazy modded car; CAI, Kooks LT Headers and a Catback. My questions then is am I ok with the Mobil 1 5w-30 or next time should I switch to Amsoil? or a diff oil? HELP!
TocaSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #164
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by TocaSeries View Post
Im so confused, I just put Mobil 1 full syn in my car because ton of threads saying that was a great oil to use....and now.....im confused. I dont have a crazy modded car; CAI, Kooks LT Headers and a Catback. My questions then is am I ok with the Mobil 1 5w-30 or next time should I switch to Amsoil? or a diff oil? HELP!
No worries man . I think the moral of the story is that Mobil 1 synthetic is fine to use, particularly on a stock car, or lighted modified one that hasn't been dug into the motor yet, or for one that hasn't gone the forced induction route. However, even for stock LS3 or L99 Camaro's, there ARE other better oil to be used. With a built motor, or forced induction, this upgrade in oil becomes even more pertinent for motor performance, efficiency, and longevity. To me, spend twice as much on the upgraded oil and oil filter is worth the cost, and piece of mind. This isn't a time where I want to cut corners.
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #165
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Going for oil change Saturday. What's best for non-cam car that is dd and mostly city miles? All other mods are basic bolt ons, headers, cai, exhaust, etc
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #166
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
TCAT is correct.

As for the best oil, you cant go wrong on any gasoline engine going with the best protection available (IE Amsoil, etc.)
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #167
1Camaro2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
I just installed a fairly large Comp LSr cam in my car and converted the valvetrain to LS3. I don't drive it in the winter and I tend to drive it hard at times, mostly on the street. I'd like to use VR1 oil. Sounds like 10W30 synthetic is recommended?
Old 11-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #168
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports View Post
You dont have to believe it. You just keep using Mobil 1 street oil in your engine. Until then, my customers that heed our warnings from what us, and other industry experts do best, and do it for a living, will use a proper oil that has zero downside, other than its not readily available.

For the record, there is nothing "ricer" about a 500-600whp 4G63. There is more tech in that engine than you can shake a stick at. Give respect where respect is due.

I dont expect everyone to understand this. I dont expect everyone to understand the dynamics of a cam either.

But calling a legitimate test done by one of the best turbo engineering company in the world only "some what valid" is asinine.

Louis

I've 160,000 on a 1998 GMC Sonoma that has had nothing but mobil one run in it. I've had no problems with this engine.
I had a 1981 Fiat Spyder with 90,000 and at least 30,000 with mobil one in the engine. No problems.
I've a 2010 Chevy Camaro at 39,000 on the engine (Mobil one from day one). no problems.
no bad leaking problems on any of the cars (no drips in driveway).
So you calling Mobil One junk, is dumb.

To me you have nothing, You even put royal purple as better than Mobil One.

Dude you are one to be talking.
Hot Wheels Emblems and Floor Mats, Morimoto Fog Lights, PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting & My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller & Paddle Shifter Heritage Grill, Manual Shifter Boot, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Hot Wheels door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote