Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #3991
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
man that gun is just sexy as hell Russ!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #3992
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
What are everyone's thought on a long range scope?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #3993
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznts View Post
Old 01-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #3994
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
Old 01-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #3995
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznts View Post
Thanks. I'm very impressed with it. I really wanted a piston AR, and after loads of research settled on POF. They use a corrosion resistant NP3 coating, which allows you to run it completely dry. I took it out of the box and to the range without doing a thing. Ran 200 rounds through it without a hitch. Very easy to clean as well. Definitely a top notch weapon.

Quote:
Man...not even going there yet. Once I've decided on a .308 I'll start doing some research. I figure I'll end up spending more on the glass than the weapon, which is the main reason I'm not in a hurry.
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #3996
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
Thanks. I'm very impressed with it. I really wanted a piston AR, and after loads of research settled on POF. They use a corrosion resistant NP3 coating, which allows you to run it completely dry. I took it out of the box and to the range without doing a thing. Ran 200 rounds through it without a hitch. Very easy to clean as well. Definitely a top notch weapon.

Man...not even going there yet. Once I've decided on a .308 I'll start doing some research. I figure I'll end up spending more on the glass than the weapon, which is the main reason I'm not in a hurry.
Lol I hear ya. I have seen some decent scopes that don't break the bank. I know in the long range I will wind up buying a nicer scope. Prolly settle for a cheap one for now.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #3997
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:

nice.. cant beat that!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #3998
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
I also have the EOTech EXPS2 with the 3X magnifier (the pics below are the 512 I borrowed from my older AR).

It really comes down to preference, but I like the "2 eyes open" approach. I can quickly acquire targets, without losing my peripheral vision. Then for longer shots I bring up the magnifier.

I'm also going to build a .308 at some point...probably a Remington 700.

I like the 2 eyes approach as well. There's no problem with that using the Aimpoint either. But yeah, it's preference more than anything. My red dot is at the forward end of the rail... maybe just a little farther forward but about the same as where your EXPS is. The EOTech was just a preference of "too busy" on the 65MOA ring. I found it a little distracting. I do like the slightly lower profile on those though. I was hesitant about the PRO at first, but it's not nearly as bulky as I thought it would be.

I don't know what I want for the .308 yet. But I really want something that's accurate and reliable for the 3-400 yard range. The AR is just not that weapon. Your gun is beautiful though. I like the silver lower. Is it polished or anodized?
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #3999
naSSty1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Well, what are you looking for? What are you wanting to put it on? There are several great scopes out there right now with multiple reticle options ranging in prices. It really depends on what your shooting platform is. If its going on a standard length AR with your typical twist you don't need an extensive scope. Your glass plays a factor as well. Now if your putting it on a match system with a more precision twist you may want to move up into a better scope. You have to factor in your MOA for your gun as well. It really depends on a lot of thing that would take me hours to go into, but if you have the time I would be glad to help. Post or PM me your build with your grain and I can match you to a great scope under any budget based off of what you want to use it for.
naSSty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #4000
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
You want to put a long range scope your AR?
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #4001
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by naSSty1 View Post
Well, what are you looking for? What are you wanting to put it on? There are several great scopes out there right now with multiple reticle options ranging in prices. It really depends on what your shooting platform is. If its going on a standard length AR with your typical twist you don't need an extensive scope. Your glass plays a factor as well. Now if your putting it on a match system with a more precision twist you may want to move up into a better scope. You have to factor in your MOA for your gun as well. It really depends on a lot of thing that would take me hours to go into, but if you have the time I would be glad to help. Post or PM me your build with your grain and I can match you to a great scope under any budget based off of what you want to use it for.
I am trying to go for longer ranges with my new 5.56/.223 AR build. Yes I know .308 and other calibers are better for long range, .308 is my next build. I am going to try and go 300+ yards with this build. I usually shoot 55 grain since that was the last bulk batch I bought. 1:8 twist and 20" barrel rifle length. I was checking several out at the gun show I went to last weekend. I would like an illuminated one that can adjust pretty far out. I was thinking something like 10-40x50 I have done some hunting and have been shooting for a long time just haven't done much long range, so that's next on my list.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #4002
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
On my new build, yes. Trying something a little different and if I hate it I will change it up and use the scope on my next build.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #4003
naSSty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
I have one. It's an SPR style but lethal as hell out to 600m. I use a leupold mk4 with a tremor 2 reticle. On my larger rifles I use Schmidt & Bender with the same reticle

Last edited by naSSty1; 01-22-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 PM   #4004
naSSty1

For more reading pleasures, I recommend you check out snipershide.com and browse their forums. There is a lot you can do with an AR. They can also help you in your quest to building a great platform for what ever your prey may be.

Tags
camaro gun