Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #15
gml1998

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Camaro
On the way to Camarofest last year I ran over my buddies tonneau cover. It blew off and I hit it at 70 mph. Fortunately I was able to buff out the scuffs on the front bumper cover.
gml1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:54 PM   #16
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by gml1998 View Post
On the way to Camarofest last year I ran over my buddies tonneau cover. It blew off and I hit it at 70 mph. Fortunately I was able to buff out the scuffs on the front bumper cover.
The cover, not so much.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #17
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Mine has never even tried to lift up. Not on my 2011, and not on my ZL1 vert with almost 8,000 miles on it.

As long as the front flap is tucked down behind the rear seat and the rear trailing edge is tucked under the rear trim properly and the cord/clip is attached to the posts properly, it shouldn't come off.
I agree, although I have noticed a slight buffet when passing semi trucks, I have never seen my cover raise up like that. You might try the loop/eye fix also that is described in one of the tonneau cover threads.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #18
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Ouch, the thought of those nasty metal hooks flapping around makes me cringe. You looks pretty calm in the video, I probably would have been swearing up a storm.

I have the tonneau with the bungees and I have never seen any real movement even at triple digit speeds and passing big trucks. I have heard of people having issues due to their convertible tops not dropping low enough into the body which makes the tonneau cover sit too high and not fit properly. You might want to look at your top in the down position compared to some other Camaros. If that isn't the problem I would get a new tonneau cover. Maybe it is a bit off and just doesn't fit right.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #19
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I was out on the interstate today and doing 73 and passed many semis and had a couple pass me and mine was rock solid. You are not missing the foam blocks that keep the sides taught up against the opening so air cannot get under it. I had one come off and it left a large gap on one side. I noticed it before I drove it like that and used some 3m headliner adhesive to put it back on and it hasn't come off again.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #20
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
No, the foam blocks are there, and everything is (was) the way it was supposed to be. After watching more and more of the video clips (some that were not posted) it seems that the center of the cover where it folds and slides in behind the seat kept coming up and that is where the initial problem started if you look in the video. SO...... What I did was have a large piece of velcro sewn onto the little flap and attached it to the back of the seat where it slides in. This seems to make it were it doesn't move a bit. It's a PIA to get it loose when you want to take it off, but it should never come off again!
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:22 AM   #21
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Interesting idea. I was thinking of putting magnets inside the flap on mine. I haven't seen it lift even at high speeds, but sometimes the cover does sit a little high and the magnets would help pull it down so it sits flush with the hard plastic trim.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #22
IncrediblyX

Drives: Red
Don't drive with the tonneau cover on. Problem solved.
IncrediblyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #23
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by IncrediblyX View Post
Don't drive with the tonneau cover on. Problem solved.
Or never drive the car at all, then you will never have any problems with anything...
Old 07-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #24
pony

Or just take off the hood and trunk deck. It would look like chit, but wouldn' have to worry them coming off either!
Old 07-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #25
lobobuzz

Drives: Camaro SS Convert
Wow, crazy! No problems at all with mine. Tonneau has been on since purchased with no issues (not my daily driver).
lobobuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #26
angrykiller1

Drives: 2011 2ss inferno orange convertible
the "bat"

i call the toneau cover the bat because when it flies off it looks like an old Dracula scene with the bat at the window.
angrykiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #27
pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrykiller1 View Post
i call the toneau cover the bat because when it flies off it looks like an old Dracula scene with the bat at the window.
Damn accurate description!!

Drove the interstate this weekend with the new "velcro fix" and it was very solid with NO lifting or movement. Think this simple fix will do it!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #28
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Agree it shouldn't come off under any situation.

But the real answer would have been a hard cover that opened and closed with the roof. But that would have been a huge tear up and there wouldn't be much room to do it. It would have required a new decklid and rear structure. Look at the Corvette. A panel like the Corvette convertible would be the ideal solution. That just doesn't work with the Camaro design. And the size of the trunk opening would be smaller than today's trunk which is already too small.

So the current cover is a compromise to that ideal solution.