Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-29-2013, 05:07 AM   #15
Nemo13

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
Never give your CC info lightly. If you do, to stop any payments, request a new card with a new number from your bank, the end. Onstar is just a glorified cell phone. Everyone has one already. I've got it on my new car and it is tied into everything it seems, so I can't just pull the fuse/etc. I don't pay for the service and I refused to talk to them when I bought the car, its just there for the moment. One thing very strange happen yesterday... I was driving to work, Mylink started doing something weird then locked up for a few seconds, then all of a sudden I saw an image of my neighbors house! (the backup camera) it was stuck on there. I was now 6 mi. from there. I thought "What is a 'live' camera doing with a stored image?! A live camera doesn't need to save anything, so....? Makes you wonder. Then a few minutes later went back to normal. Also, I installed a mini switch on the microphone in the car so I can turn it OFF when I want to. I don't like the feeling of Onstar 'dropping in' when I don't want them to. A few days back, they were trying to get me to call, a message was blasting through the stereo: "call us! Call us! Call us!" I was like WTF?! Interrupting my tunes! Looking at that blue button on the mirror looks like HAL from 2001 A Space Odyssey, haha..
Old 10-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #16
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo13 View Post
Never give your CC info lightly. If you do, to stop any payments, request a new card with a new number from your bank, the end.
Really? Just call onstar and cancel, wouldn't that be easier? I know they put up a fight about it, but still easier then having to deal with a new CC.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:43 AM   #17
redsled

Drives: 2013 ss/1le
whatever you do.... do not press that blue button on your ride home from the dealer...... that conversation left a poor taste in my mouth and I have been bitter ever since.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
redsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #18
Nemo13

Drives: 2014 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
Really? Just call onstar and cancel, wouldn't that be easier? I know they put up a fight about it, but still easier then having to deal with a new CC.
It would seem logical, to just call and cancel. But it doesn't always work out so smoothly. My comment is for those who are stuck. And it is not hard at all, just a phone call and your new card arrives is 5-7 days. A new card number & exp date = no further charges from anyone. Sirius is another one.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #19
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by patternpilot View Post
The best result comes from never giving them a credit card number. When I was sitting in the car with my salesman setting up OnStar and the representative ask for my credit card number, my salesman shook his head no, so I assume he already knew what could happen. When my trial ran out I did not renew and I have had no problems.
I maintained my XM though and pay by check. Also no problems.
Same deal here-

Pay by check or not at all.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #20
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
i agree. i never give anyone my CC for auto pymts. they should let you cancel simply cause you want to. just charge back the posting to your account. i always pay by check, same with XM. for this very reason, its like pulling teeth to get any service to stop charging. same went with AOL a long time ago. i pay by check, old school way. but i like the onstar with the mobile apps to start car, unlock, etc too
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #21
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
I cancelled the account on my Impala with no problem and I also put the Camaro on hold for the 6 months its in storage.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #22
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hello,

I am really sorry to hear this story and the experience you went through! If you could send me a private message with your full contact information, VIN, and any other information you can provide about your conversation with OnStar, I would like to alert the appropriate department of this situation. I look forward to your response.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SilverStreak View Post
OK, a little bit oif a rant here but so what. If this is a repost and you have heard it all before again, so what. First off, I think OnStar the service is priceless, good people who answer you with great help, even with the "off the wall" stuff. I once was on vacation and used OnStar to tell me where to get a good steak as I was in an unfamiliar area. They came through with flying colors. But todays technology is all around us so I was looking to save a buck over all and wanted to cancel my OnStar service. Girlfriends phone and my blackberry will do everything you want but drive the car. So I called them up to cancel my so called "voluntary" service and was greatly dissapointed. I asked them to cancel my service as I no longer needed it and they said....no! When I asked for an explanation they said that my reason for cancellation was not an acceptable reason to cancel. I was, well, pissed. I asked what an acceptable reason to cancel was and they read me a list of acceptable reasons to cancel. Like trading in the car, So I said fine, wouldnt you know I just traded the car in this morning. She sarcastically laughed and said, "well did you get another chevrolet, cause all I can do for you is transfer the service". I said look, I cant afford the service anymore, I need the room left on my credit card for gas and food untill I find another job. She basically wished me luck in my job hunt and that I could enjoy my use of OnStar untill the card was maxed out and shut itself off. She also stated that my call would be noted on the account so that if I called back again and tried to cancel they would be on the alert for my "unnaceptable reasons". I dont know about you guys but I thought we were allowed to pay for the things we wanted to use, when we wanted to use them. I understand if this was some kind of a "you cant cancel for 6 months at a time" or something like that I agreed to up front. But all the idiot salesman who sold me the car told me was that after six months of the free service they give I could set up an account with a valid credit card and cancel "anytime I wanted" I even went as far as to call my credit card company end explain this situation to them and they instructed me to to a "card refresh", which is to keep my account open but immediately close the old card number and issue a new card and new number. They do this when fraudulent people charge your card repeatedly for no reason and it protects you from paying charges and interest on services you dont want, or didnt ask for. Or simply wish to discontinue and the vendor wont stop charging you. Well, a month went by and the OnStar charge showed up again. I called my card company to ask what the hell happened and they said that OnStar had threatened them with some merchant payment law and if they didnt give them the new card number they would open up a case dispute with attorneys and other charges tht they would gladly charge to my card until the case was resolved. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? SO today I called and got some other Indian sounding douchebag I could barely understand and asked to cancel my account, he asked for the reason and I stated I traded the car in for a Mustang. He gladly agreed to cancel my service and wished me luck with the new car. So I dont know what to say to you all other that be on your toes with this. I think we should ban OnStart for three months and cancel all our subscriptions. I mean its like going to the grocery store and as soon as you walk in a store clerk starts walking beside you and every time you put something in your cart he takes it out and puts in what he thinks you should have. Lets stay in control of our money people....this is bullshit.
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #23
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
I went to cancel but decided to keep the emergency services only...no problem switching to a lower plan and well worth it in my opinion.
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #24
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
If they charge your CC you can always file a complaint/chargeback with your CC...they will usually fight on your behalf. Thats why a lot of places do not take AMEX - as the customer will always win when paying and complaining with AMEX.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #25
OnStar Advisor

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SilverStreak View Post
OK, a little bit oif a rant here but so what. If this is a repost and you have heard it all before again, so what. First off, I think OnStar the service is priceless, good people who answer you with great help, even with the "off the wall" stuff. I once was on vacation and used OnStar to tell me where to get a good steak as I was in an unfamiliar area. They came through with flying colors. But todays technology is all around us so I was looking to save a buck over all and wanted to cancel my OnStar service. Girlfriends phone and my blackberry will do everything you want but drive the car. So I called them up to cancel my so called "voluntary" service and was greatly dissapointed. I asked them to cancel my service as I no longer needed it and they said....no! When I asked for an explanation they said that my reason for cancellation was not an acceptable reason to cancel. I was, well, pissed. I asked what an acceptable reason to cancel was and they read me a list of acceptable reasons to cancel. Like trading in the car, So I said fine, wouldnt you know I just traded the car in this morning. She sarcastically laughed and said, "well did you get another chevrolet, cause all I can do for you is transfer the service". I said look, I cant afford the service anymore, I need the room left on my credit card for gas and food untill I find another job. She basically wished me luck in my job hunt and that I could enjoy my use of OnStar untill the card was maxed out and shut itself off. She also stated that my call would be noted on the account so that if I called back again and tried to cancel they would be on the alert for my "unnaceptable reasons". I dont know about you guys but I thought we were allowed to pay for the things we wanted to use, when we wanted to use them. I understand if this was some kind of a "you cant cancel for 6 months at a time" or something like that I agreed to up front. But all the idiot salesman who sold me the car told me was that after six months of the free service they give I could set up an account with a valid credit card and cancel "anytime I wanted" I even went as far as to call my credit card company end explain this situation to them and they instructed me to to a "card refresh", which is to keep my account open but immediately close the old card number and issue a new card and new number. They do this when fraudulent people charge your card repeatedly for no reason and it protects you from paying charges and interest on services you dont want, or didnt ask for. Or simply wish to discontinue and the vendor wont stop charging you. Well, a month went by and the OnStar charge showed up again. I called my card company to ask what the hell happened and they said that OnStar had threatened them with some merchant payment law and if they didnt give them the new card number they would open up a case dispute with attorneys and other charges tht they would gladly charge to my card until the case was resolved. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? SO today I called and got some other Indian sounding douchebag I could barely understand and asked to cancel my account, he asked for the reason and I stated I traded the car in for a Mustang. He gladly agreed to cancel my service and wished me luck with the new car. So I dont know what to say to you all other that be on your toes with this. I think we should ban OnStart for three months and cancel all our subscriptions. I mean its like going to the grocery store and as soon as you walk in a store clerk starts walking beside you and every time you put something in your cart he takes it out and puts in what he thinks you should have. Lets stay in control of our money people....this is bullshit.

05SilverStreak,

I'm very sorry to hear about your recent experience. I would like to investigate this call further to have that addressed, because that is not typical. Please send me a PM with your contact, account information and any details you retained about that call. I hope to hear from you soon.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
OnStar Advisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #26
dimmerbob
Orange Old

Drives: orange SS
Never ever ever give them your credit card number!!!!!
dimmerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #27
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsled View Post
whatever you do.... do not press that blue button on your ride home from the dealer...... that conversation left a poor taste in my mouth and I have been bitter ever since.....
Does not pressing the blue button render even the trial subscription inactive?

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #28
AztecCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk SS Auto Vert
I've found that every time I've called onstar for help, the person on the other side didn't know Didley squat about cars. Called one time to verify the engine oil capacity on my LFX and the guy goes, "I'll run a diagnostic, you have 99%life left."

" I know....I just changed the oil... Now how much does it take?"

Another time I called because my tpms when wack and shut off and the kind lady said, " your front left tire is at 30 psi"

Me: "yes but what's wrong with my sensors?"
AztecCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote