Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
steph09

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
driving on salt

It hasn't snowed here yet or precipitated. The roads are dry for now, but they salted the parking lot where I am now. Is my car okay since I drove it tonight over the salt? Like I said it hasn't snowed yet and they just put the salt down tonight. No salt on the main roads just in my parking lot. I don't plan on driving the car for a while either.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:43 AM   #2
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Wash it as soon as possible. Concentrate on the wheel wells and rockers. You'll be fine. The real damage comes when you drive on the roads and the freezing slush freezes on your car and it stays there for awhile.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:31 AM   #3
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
Wash it as soon as possible. Concentrate on the wheel wells and rockers. You'll be fine. The real damage comes when you drive on the roads and the freezing slush freezes on your car and it stays there for awhile.
Agreed.

Salt on a car is always no bueno.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
Agreed.

Salt on a car is always no bueno.
Yup. No exceptions.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Salt attracts and holds moisture. It's not an acid or something. Combined with sand, the mixture can abrade and rub away paint and expose metal to the things that make rust. The salty water gets trapped on hundreds of things under the car and it pools and dries there, leaving the salt ready for another round of corrosion.

Your Camaro is not made the way a 1969 Camaro was made. Cars made in the 21st century benefit from a lot of things that combat the effects of salt on automobiles. The most effective is probably weld-though primers. Think about it: when was the last time you saw a rusted out, say, 2002 Toyota Corolla? The owners don't usually worry about salt on the roads, but those cars aren't rusted out after 12 years or so. I never see any "shitbox" cars any more, of any make or model, here in new England, and we salt heavily.

Your car is not going to start "rusting away" because of salt in a parking lot. While I agree that the wheels wells and rockers do need attention, the wheel wells are plastic. No rust issues there. It's the grit and salty mix that can abrade between the wheel well and the steel fender, grinding away the paint and exposing metal to the salt and water.

if you look at your Camaro with an eye towards what made cars rust 40 years ago, you'll see we have drains and areas where water can escape.

However if you are worried about salt, you will need to find some old clothes and a do-it-yourself car wash with a spray wand, and yes, get as much of yourself under the car as you can, and spray off the undercarriage thoroughly. It will be cold and uncomfortable. I do this about once a week with my own Camaro

It's funny (not ha-ha) to read these things as I'm an old-car guy and we were always suspicious of 40 year old cars from say the Florida coast, because salt spray gets on them, too, even though there's no snow. But nobody seems to worry about that and the cars from the modern era down there aren't rusting away to dust. The old cars did though.

Some basic car care will prevent the problems you're worried about, but bear in mind that the salt in that parking lot and others will not be gone until June or so, when rain has washed it all away.

I'm more concerned about the salty crud on my paint making scratches if I happen to brush up against the car. The salt accelerating rust I can mitigate with the weekly bath
Old 12-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #6
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
^^^ couldn't have said it better myself ^^

Mine at sunset
KJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #7
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Virgina Beach: Understand your Camaro is you baby. Just run the Camaro through an auto wash that offers underbody wash.

I drive my Camaro in Canadian winters (salt on roads from late Nov.- early April). I 'Krown' treat yearly before first snow fall. My 2011 now owned for more than 3 years, 2 winters moving into 3rd winter, when Camaro was on the lift last month, totally rust free. In Virgina Beach (use to live in VA), just get an underbody wash at a good car wash, should not have any issues.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '02 SS 'Vert M6
Well,my 01 cavalier DD is rusted out pretty good . Not sure what they salt with up in Boston,but the stuff they use here is nasty.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
What ChrisBlair said!

'Round here, we get a lot of snow and ice, all winter long. However, lefty environmentalists have fought for years, and won't permit salt on these roads. However, once in a blue moon, the remaining alternative actually works: We get "cinder" dropped on the roads, basically crushed volcanic gravel. Very grippy... like Grape- Nuts.

SO, funny story time: Yesterday, my son encountered a vehicle that had slid partway off of an icy/ snowy road. The driver was trying to regain traction. He had (1) a fella with a truck, trying to pull/ tow the car with a thin piece of frayed clothesline, and (B) a few bags of cat food that he was sprinkling on the ground in front of the wheels. Yes, cat FOOD. Apparently, ol' boy had heard the advice to use cat litter as 'sand' for traction in the snow, but had misunderstood, or failed to grasp how it all works. So, when he got stuck, he walked down to the grocery store nearby, and bought a few bags of cat food... not cat litter. Slimy, nasty, relatively expensive mess.

Oh, how we locals enjoy the entertainment...
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_727 View Post
Well,my 01 cavalier DD is rusted out pretty good . Not sure what they salt with up in Boston,but the stuff they use here is nasty.

as Chris said, it's not really the salt. rust is nothing more than iron oxide, or iron combined with oxygen. in order for this process to begin, all that's needed is oxygen, and an electrolyte, (water). areas by the coast have a higher moisture content in the air, for obvious reasons, and it not uncommon to see more rusted cars. however, manufactures take steps to prevent this, and it's much less common now.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
chrisblair. are verts any more prone to more salt damage? is it ok to run a vert thru car wash with undercarriage washer? i have black, and yes, with crud on the sides, you dont want to brush up against it either. alot of our cars appear to be plasitc not metal these days too. i remember my 68 chevelle and 73 chevelle in college, all the washing in the world didtn keep them from becoming rust buckets.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Check it hourly its probably rotting away as we type
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
The salt mixture used today is also different that what they used 20 plus years ago
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Op: I hope you have switched out those P/Zeros.
If not salt my be the least of your worries.