Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-17-2014, 06:16 AM   #1
BaldCamaroStud
Camaro Owner & Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
MyLink display use as a PC monitor?

I have this idea in my head. I wonder if it would be possible to have the screen double as a PC display somehow? I know they sell "Car PC's"... How would this work if I had to go aftermarket?
BaldCamaroStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #2
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
you could get one of the nav-tv pieces and use it as a monitor, but you couldnt use it as a touch screen as that would only be a video input to the screen.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
BaldCamaroStud

Hmmm.. would want to keep the touch screen... do most aftermarket head units that have gps/dvd have some sort of vga input?
Old 02-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #4
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
I pulled my Mylink Nav and installed an 8" touchscreen. I wanted to use the original Mylink screen and touchscreen, but would need some way to interface to it.

We would need a switching module that the touch panel and the lcd panel connect to, that could switch from Mylink to Carpc.

There is a company that makes an interface for some of the Chevy Mylink's, to add composite video inputs like DVD and Video Camera's, but not for the Camaro Mylink yet. Also it's not clear the touchscreen works.

Chevrolet CRUZE TRAX, AVEO MYLINK system GPS Video Interface 2013

Here's what I ended up doing for now:
2013 Camaro 2SS/RS... Mylink removed, I7 Mobile Project
Old 02-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
BaldCamaroStud

Would be interesting to know if it works on the Camaro... btw I saw your other thread... did you ever get the Metra working right?
Old 02-17-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
rray

Yeah, I don't know what happened with the Metra glitches, I flashed the Metra with the latest firmware one more time, and I have never had another problem.

So far it's been rock solid, and no PC glitches.

As far as that video adapter, I emailed "Support@eglober.com" http://www.eglober.com/, but they replied they do not yet have the Camaro compatible unit, and did not answer if one was in the works.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:40 PM   #7
NZZL1

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 Camaro M6
Hi rray

It was your previous posts, that inspired me to do similar once my car arrives. I would be interested in your thoughts about the following proposed configuration.

- dash kit - I have read extensively the issues of both the Scosche and Metra kits, and are of the opinion that these are due to poor design in each. I will go with the Scosche on aesthetics of physical design at the risk of what appears to be an overall inferior electronic design, which I can resolve myself. ie. power sequencing and latch-up, perhaps ESD damage, EMI screening, loom routing etc.

- car PC and touch screen - I have fallen for the ZOTAC ZBOX nano ID68 bare-bones i5 CPU version (could go iD69 if I felt the cost was justified) to which I will add RAM and a 1TB SSD, and install Windows 8.1 for it's touch screen support on (doesn't need 1368x768 any more). The TFT display and touch screen will be an 8" size and be something like you sourced from ebay (I note you are thinking of increasing to 10") , although nothing seems to quite fit my needs for camera inputs, and I am hoping I can modify the Schoche kit to accommodate it in the same way you did to the Metra unit.

- OS - The main goal is to use Metro apps as the GUI and specifically the new VLC Metro version for it's FLAC support. Other apps such as GPS, OBDII are of secondary importance, which I will configure over time. Likewise, it would a bonus if I can get iPhone / Siri and Bluetooth to play nice also, although I have become very anti of using a mobile phone in any mode whilst driving.

- support devices - Much the same as your install; car PC - battery, relay, intelligent power supply - dash kit; intelligent power supply, steering wheel, and with modifications and best practices to avoid the above dash kit issues. Note that I am in New Zealand and services such as Onstar and satellite radio do not exist here, so no support is needed for these, other than a USB GPS module for whatever navigation application I end up using.

- audio - I specifically went with the Zotac unit for it's built-in SDIF optical support to feed an Alpine PXA-H800 audio processor, with 4 channel and subwoofer amps, speaker upgrades, single corner-mounted sub woofer to suit.

- cameras - the rear facing camera integrates with the TFT display easily and the same as you have done, but I want something like a Go Pro behind-grille mounted as a front facing unit. The Go Pro will need it's own HDMI interface to the TFT but it seems that I will need to build my own video switching interface, which could be achieved by adding a switch or repurposing a steering wheel control such as the "source" switch, or I could build my own accelerometer/gyro and timer circuit which automatically switches when under way. Why you may ask, is due to New Zealand driving on the LH side of the road, and driving a LHD car does occasionally pose some risk with RH side visibility.

What do you think? Any thoughts?

Last edited by NZZL1; 03-24-2014 at 02:21 AM.
NZZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #8
rray

It sounds like you did your research.
There are really only 3 wires you use from the Metra or Scosche kit, Yellow for 12V Constant to connect to an intellegent DC to DC converter for it power timer features and regulation to power the screen, Black for Gnd, Red for accessory power to turn on the DC-DC converter.

The dash kits only fit 7" screens, but you can do a bit of cutting to fit an 8" screen. If you are going windows 8 I would recommend finding a screen with capacitive 10 point touch so you can slide out the charms from the edge of the screen.

Everything else you selected sounds good.