Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #127
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I will try to upload a video sometime soon. I just got mine done, 2.5" resonated x, step up to 3" and 3" all the way to dual 4" round mufflers and then 3.5" quad tips. It sounds amazing.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:27 AM   #128
BUZZCAMARO

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS Inferno Orange
At first I had the Flowmaster axel back, than bought a Mag 11385, which did kill rasp, but with both of them overall just not loud enough.

Than I took off the 11385 and went back to only the Flowmaster axel back (40's)

Than thought it was again to raspy.

So I took off the flowmasters and put back the 11385 only with the factory pipes which include the resonators and end about at the rear axel. Drove it around going thru all the revs like this, and I think this is the sound I'm after but could probably be improved.

So if I use 11385, and get straight pipe installed in place of the factory pipes which have the resonators, I'm wondering how much louder this would be.

Right now with just the 11385 and factory pipes ending at the rear axel (nothing past that point)..it sound great, very retro hot rod sounding. But to get custom piping installed all the way from the 11385 that would be kinda expensive..so I hesitate. THe other alternative would be to just get a shop to install pipes from the ends of my factory pipes to the rear with tips on it.

Lastly, I could install a crack pipe in place of the H pipe, than I'd finally end my mods because I can't afford any of them, and may have to sell the car entirely.

Last edited by BUZZCAMARO; 05-24-2014 at 04:47 AM.
BUZZCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #129
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Drives: 400HP 2LT/RS
Delete rear cats, get rid of resonators, add 3" piping.

CRAZY BEE - IOM 2LT/RS (more)
Cosmetic Mods - 24 | Performance Mods - 14
ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED
DJ ATOMIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #130
BUZZCAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ ATOMIX View Post
Delete rear cats, get rid of resonators, add 3" piping.
I'm wondering if those that have or have plans to get 3" pipe from the X to the rear, got stainless steel or the regular off the shelf stuff at Tuffy, Top Value or many of the other grocerery getter muffler shops. I went to a Top Value, and they said they don't use stainless steel, and I think they said that there machines can't bend it.

So, if the answer is stainless steel is the way to go, where in south-east michigan can I get it done, and yes, I've thought about MRT in Plymouth.

Thanks for your answer about if it's going to be too loud (DJ Atomix),..you say it is not evan as loud as the MRT 1 axel back. Humm... And btw, the basic tone I'm getting with the currant temporary set up has the glimmers of tone like yours... it is nice, I nailed it a few times and sounded very much like American muscle car, no rice whatsoever. Can't say that about any of the others I've tried.

One more question, is that steel plate that bolts to the body right after the H or Mag. 11385 supossed to touch or push up on them? I can't remember if it did before I did any mods, but it sure does now, in fact it pushes the pipes upwards about 2", allmost to heat sheilding.

Right after my initial installation of the Mag. 11385, I had some annoying rattle problems, I think it was the heat shield which I removed and bonded it in place with black expanding foam. Just around the edges, enough to mute it. Rattles at idle are gone, this really drove me nuts. The foam btw. is the kind made for building ponds, to hold the rocks together, about $15.00 per can at Lowes in the garden dept.

It's just like the yellow "Great Stuff" for insulation but this is treated to withstand constant water/moisture. I'm not suggesting everybody needs to do this, but if your plagued with rattles, it's probably the aluminum heat shielding, I also did portions of it around the heat shielding around the engine/transmission. I don't know if it will ever come loose from heat and moisture, but I do know it won't come off your fingers for about 3 weeks unless you get it off before it's dry (with acetone/nail polish remover). Wear gloves and eye protection.

Last edited by BUZZCAMARO; 05-22-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:33 AM   #131
ryanb910

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
Speaking of rattles I just did a res delete and I noticed that one of the pipes are touching the metal brace that goes across the heat shield. Can this be taken off or do I have to go back and get this fixed? I'm feeling like anyone who went the 3in way has had this problem as well. Help me. It sounds horrible
Old 05-22-2014, 05:33 AM   #132
BUZZCAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb910 View Post
Speaking of rattles I just did a res delete and I noticed that one of the pipes are touching the metal brace that goes across the heat shield. Can this be taken off or do I have to go back and get this fixed? I'm feeling like anyone who went the 3in way has had this problem as well. Help me. It sounds horrible
Until you get it fixed permanently, crawl under there and jamb a pot holder under there in between the pipes and the steel cross brace, if you have the 11385 that should dissipate enough heat so it won't burn up.

I can only hope somebody will give us expert advice about this, like I said in my previous post, I can't remember if that brace was up against the pipes before I jacked with it. I'm no mechanic but I can't imagine a car coming from the factory with that brace allowed to touch the exhaust, obviously for rattle reasons. If I get new pipes welded on at a good shop, bet they'd weld it up so it is suspended above the brace as well as below the bottom of the chassis.

Sorry I directed attention off of the subject of this exhaust set up to rattle problems, just trying to help. Perhaps this sub-topic is best left to threads about rattle problems.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #133
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Wow I never really thought of that issue. For the record I never got any rattle issues although the magnaflow res x is a pain to get to fit.

Im gonna have to crawl under and peak and see how mine was placed up there.

For 140 bucks it was worth every penny leaving this xpipe install to the pros.

ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED
Old 05-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #134
ryanb910

Both my res x pipe and res delete was done professionally. I never had a rattling problem until the res delete, noticed it after taking a long drive. Not sure what happened but I looked under my car and could see the res x pipe was now crooked and not sitting flush with the car. Its hitting the cross bar where the right resonator use to be. I'll try a quick fix until I can go back and get it checked out.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:00 PM   #135
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Depends. Delete the secondary cats and you'll get a bit more power and sound. Might smell a little fuel. But you still have the primary oem cats... hard to say.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #136
#1stunner

Drives: 2011 syn. green ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZCAMARO View Post
Until you get it fixed permanently, crawl under there and jamb a pot holder under there in between the pipes and the steel cross brace, if you have the 11385 that should dissipate enough heat so it won't burn up.

I can only hope somebody will give us expert advice about this, like I said in my previous post, I can't remember if that brace was up against the pipes before I jacked with it. I'm no mechanic but I can't imagine a car coming from the factory with that brace allowed to touch the exhaust, obviously for rattle reasons. If I get new pipes welded on at a good shop, bet they'd weld it up so it is suspended above the brace as well as below the bottom of the chassis.

Sorry I directed attention off of the subject of this exhaust set up to rattle problems, just trying to help. Perhaps this sub-topic is best left to threads about rattle problems.

when i got my exhaust put on the brace was hiting so he took it back down and put 2-3 washers at each corner of the brace to give me more clearance,and it worked great.the pipes should def. NOT be touching the brace.
#1stunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #137
ryanb910

Thats a great idea. I'm going to try that as soon as possible.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:03 AM   #138
BUZZCAMARO

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1stunner View Post
when i got my exhaust put on the brace was hiting so he took it back down and put 2-3 washers at each corner of the brace to give me more clearance,and it worked great.the pipes should def. NOT be touching the brace.
Yeah, I think I did that too when I first put it on last fall, the bolts are really long, could add about 1/4" spacers.

BTW each clamp I had been using from Summit, the band type, weighs .75 lbs. Small amount of weight be it all adds up.

Question for those that did it already: Did they use stainless steel piping or aluminized steel which costs much less? I assume the stainless is the only thing that won't eventually rust out. As for weight, is there a significant weight loss from using aluminized steel?

I don't know what they used back in the 80's, but I had a car done at Meinike and the following year it had rusted thru.

Of lesser importance, did they use 3" pipe from the 2nd cat delete to the mag. res. x? If I had no answer, I'd just have them use 2.5 up to the Mag. res. x, and than 3" from there since the inlet and outlet are 2.5 and so is the factory pipes. I guess Magnaflow makes them with 3" Inlet/outlets also, idunno, but if they did, and you want 3" pipe, get that, than they don't need adaptors at each end, lots less welding.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #139
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

I just used the common shop piping which is plain galvanized 3" pipe steel im assuming. Stainless steel was quoted at 1200 to do the custom piping which is overkill to me. I can replace this piping 4 times for that cost.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #140
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZCAMARO View Post
Yeah, I think I did that too when I first put it on last fall, the bolts are really long, could add about 1/4" spacers.

BTW each clamp I had been using from Summit, the band type, weighs .75 lbs. Small amount of weight be it all adds up.

Question for those that did it already: Did they use stainless steel piping or aluminized steel which costs much less? I assume the stainless is the only thing that won't eventually rust out. As for weight, is there a significant weight loss from using aluminized steel?

I don't know what they used back in the 80's, but I had a car done at Meinike and the following year it had rusted thru.

Of lesser importance, did they use 3" pipe from the 2nd cat delete to the mag. res. x? If I had no answer, I'd just have them use 2.5 up to the Mag. res. x, and than 3" from there since the inlet and outlet are 2.5 and so is the factory pipes. I guess Magnaflow makes them with 3" Inlet/outlets also, idunno, but if they did, and you want 3" pipe, get that, than they don't need adaptors at each end, lots less welding.

If I remember correctly the 3" magnaflow x wont fit in the cavity. The 2.5inch version barely fits as it is.