Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #43
flyingskibiker

Drives: Cars, Trucks, Bikes, ORVs, Planes
Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Moving in for the pass of course, lol

It's not often that I get to hang out with both my Camaro and Viper buds in the same venue. Hats off to Zfatuated and brt3 for driving these beautiful Z/28s the way they were meant to be driven! Reminds me of when I first tracked my Viper. No plates yet, just 3 weeks new and I went sideways off of the track at turn 7 of Thunderhill. I shook it off and went back out there and had a blast.

Brian (CrystalRedTintCoat) and my friend Rich in his Snake Skin Green Viper ACR rented a house with me nearby. Great to meet Zfat, Brt, the other Todd (Nor Cal ZL1), Kyle (Rornis3), and to see Mark again (Markgws6). There were about the same number of Camaros as Vipers out there.

If anyone's curious, here is one of my laps when I had a wide open track in front of me. Looking forward to the next outing!

Cool! I was just doing a little ribbing (glad you took it that way) purely out of jealousy...
Old 06-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #44
werks

Drives: Katech Track Attack Z06 #50
Guys keep in mind that it is pointless to critique lines etc when someone is learning a new car and learning a new to them track like both brt3 & Zfatuated were. Here are a few laps at T-hill earlier in the year in my Z06 which I think show the correct lines at speed. Part of the key to being fast is being smooth. Smooth steering inputs, smooth throttle inputs all so that you do not upset the chassis. This was a personal best for me but ironically was on used slicks that I already had 5 days on (so limited grip) and after looking at the video I think that I'm still leaving an easy 2-3 seconds on the table by not carrying enough corner speed in several corners.

Ok I gave up on trying to embed the video lol, here is the link!

After being in one for a session I would say that the Z28's imho are capable of 1:58's or 1:59's out of the box over the top at T-hill which is amazing for a box stock car!
werks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #45
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by werks View Post
Guys keep in mind that it is pointless to critique lines etc when someone is learning a new car and learning a new to them track like both brt3 & Zfatuated were. Here are a few laps at T-hill earlier in the year in my Z06 which I think show the correct lines at speed. Part of the key to being fast is being smooth. Smooth steering inputs, smooth throttle inputs all so that you do not upset the chassis. This was a personal best for me but ironically was on used slicks that I already had 5 days on (so limited grip) and after looking at the video I think that I'm still leaving an easy 2-3 seconds on the table by not carrying enough corner speed in several corners.
Learning myself. Nice line. Love that track. 140+ sheesh.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #46
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingskibiker View Post
Cool! I was just doing a little ribbing (glad you took it that way) purely out of jealousy...
Yep I knew it was all in good fun, brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by werks View Post

Ok I gave up on trying to embed the video lol, here is the link!

After being in one for a session I would say that the Z28's imho are capable of 1:58's or 1:59's out of the box over the top at T-hill which is amazing for a box stock car!
Damn, you were cooking out there! 1:57.65 is flying even in cool weather, I'm going to study your line. What mods have you done to it? I saw a Vette with a wing and a Katech sticker on the back at the track last weekend, was that you and if so did you record lap times?

I ran a 2:02.5 in 100+ degree heat in my stock Viper with slicks, I wasn't able to get Harry's Lap Timer to time my laps in the cooler morning session but would imagine I ran a few 2:01s. This shows I've got a ways to go at learning Thunderhill. I'm still going too slow through turn 8 among other places, need to sneak the speed up with practice.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086

Last edited by Orange Crush 1LE; 06-11-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #47
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Like someone else said, lots of offs in the same spot..... that corner has a secret apparently

Thanks for sharing Z, and also the Mustang driver for the vid... you're so smooth you'd make Keith Stone jealous
Old 06-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #48
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Not exactly what I'm seeing at about 2:28 in the video where the problem more or less started - I'm definitely seeing the car running wide starting immediately before the apex cone. This does assume that the cone was reasonably well spotted, which with me never having driven T-hill could have been off a bit and I wouldn't know.

I'd think a tight, late apex would be the safe choice most times, with the first apex of a broken-back turn sequence being an exception.

Norm
You are spot-on Norm. The fact is I was 1.5' off the apex, early, and then added about 5 degrees of steering input at the trackout (because I was early). It all conspired with the painted line and "that much" too much throttle to cause the result it did.

It's certainly arguable where the apex is, exactly, for T2. I never go by the cones because they are generally close but almost always wrong (and different every time ).

All good, errors are only bad if you don't learn from them

When learning a new track or feeling off my game I make a conscious effort to late apex everything for safety sake, and I was doing that on most all the other turns. I just screwed up. Tired, sick, rusty...blah blah blah

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:07 PM   #49
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Next time you're there walk out and talk to her, maybe call her Marilyn for her beautiful curves and mounds, tell her you love and respect her, maybe even give her a kiss on her apex.....

That's one gorgeous track!
Old 06-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #50
werks

Drives: Katech Track Attack Z06 #50
Quote:
Yep I knew it was all in good fun, brother

Damn, you were cooking out there! 1:57.65 is flying even in cool weather, I'm going to study your line. What mods have you done to it? I saw a Vette with a wing and a Katech sticker on the back at the track last weekend, was that you and if so did you record lap times?

I ran a 2:02.5 in 100+ degree heat in my stock Viper with slicks, I wasn't able to get Harry's Lap Timer to time my laps in the cooler morning session but would imagine I ran a few 2:01s. This shows I've got a ways to go at learning Thunderhill. I'm still going too slow through turn 8 among other places, need to sneak the speed up with practice.
Keep watching I got down to a 1:55.4 which was where I was saying that I think I can cut another 2-3 seconds off. Having said that though the car is capable of 1:48's-1:49's I just need to get bigger you know what's lol!

Also yes I was out there last weekend, if it was an orange Z that you saw then it was me. The car has some engine, suspension and aero mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
You are spot-on Norm. The fact is I was 1.5' off the apex, early, and then added about 5 degrees of steering input at the trackout (because I was early). It all conspired with the painted line and "that much" too much throttle to cause the result it did.

It's certainly arguable where the apex is, exactly, for T2. I never go by the cones because they are generally close but almost always wrong (and different every time ).

All good, errors are only bad if you don't learn from them

When learning a new track or feeling off my game I make a conscious effort to late apex everything for safety sake, and I was doing that on most all the other turns. I just screwed up. Tired, sick, rusty...blah blah blah
Both of you guys did awesome out there and as the saying goes shxt happens. You had a new car, track that you were unfamiliar with and to boot you were so sick that you went back to the hotel after a half day on Saturday. Your a trooper for even coming on sunday and heck look at the people that you were hanging with! If Mooty & Mikymu don't spin at least once a day at the track they are not trying! Mikymyu spun on Friday and Mooty spun twice
werks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #51
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
Cool to watch. My armchair quarterback says the line the Z28 was following seemed to late apex a lot of the corners. This forced lifting off of the gas, setting up for oversteer, instead of letting the car find its way around the curve with your foot down.
I'm happy that the damage was minor. What I am amazed at watching this video is the fact that the Boss seemed to hang very well with the Z/28, driver skills? Was the Boss stock?
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #52
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS GT350 View Post
LOL Thanks.

I'm not sure if you guys have tapped into the Pirelli World Challenge and IMSA Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge teams yet but you should it you haven't. At BOSSMustangsOnline we have Ford and Ford Racing members that not only participate in the forum discussions but also own the cars. Additionally a few of the race teams show up from time to time and they are a great resource for information on our cars. Stevenson is one of the larger Camaro teams. Regardless of how dialed in the Z/28 is when you get out to the track you will find some weaknesses sooner or later. It happens with all cars. Anyway my son and I hung out with the Phoenix Performance, Racers Edge and Multimatic teams last month at Laguna Seca.
Come out and see us at Sears Point in August. I own a Boss302R running under the Motorsports Development Group/Watson Racing banner in the Pirelli World Challenge. If there's room on the hauler, I may put the Z28 in there and hope to get some fun runs in
Old 06-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #53
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Brian (CrystalRedTintCoat) and my friend Rich in his Snake Skin Green Viper ACR rented a house with me nearby. Great to meet Zfat, Brt, the other Todd (Nor Cal ZL1), Kyle (Rornis3), and to see Mark again (Markgws6). There were about the same number of Camaros as Vipers out there.
Nice video; thanks! It was a great event and HOD always seems to attract a good group. I ran into Brian Friday and he volunteered that you guys might have extra room. I was really tempted, but was also afraid the hotel would ding me. So, I ate early and got to the hotel on hopes of getting a good night's sleep. Instead of a good night's sleep I peeled the covers back on the bed and found...

FLEAS -- yes, a bed full of fleas! The Baymont is a Fleabag Motel in the truest sense of the word! Got to repack all my gear and change rooms at 11:00 pm. At registration I mentioned this, and one of the HOD ladies went off on how many issues she'd had there. Never again...
Old 06-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #54
Novie LE

Drives: 2014 1LE
Damn that looked like it could have been a lot worse. Glad all is OK and good luck out there next time. Did you umdersteer and try to power out? Confusing how it just let go like that
Old 06-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #55
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novie LE View Post
Damn that looked like it could have been a lot worse. Glad all is OK and good luck out there next time. Did you umdersteer and try to power out? Confusing how it just let go like that
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=49

The car does not understeer.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #56
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Do you think you might have lifted or even breathed off the throttle any? The car is probably too stiffly sprung to see anything like that in the video.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote