Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-28-2014, 12:45 AM   #1
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
New windshield seems more domed than old one

I drive a 2011 V6 1LT no HUD; I do have remote start though. Had my windshield changed today and the first thing I noticed was that it was more domed than the previous OEM one. Where the roof meets the windshield it seems to dome out more and is much more concave from the inside.

The numbers on the windshield are:

PPG Solar Green Laminated AS1 3 2 4 DOT 904 M413 DW 1904

I am wondering if this is normal or if they installed the "wrong type" of windshield?

It is definetly much more domed than the previous one - at least 3mm+ sticking out more.

I don't want to make a big deal out of it if the part is correct though and just a slightly different style.
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:47 AM   #2
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99

First time I ever used this emoticon.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:22 AM   #3
camarozzzz

OP is going to deliver, be right back haha.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:39 AM   #4
camarozzzz

Pictures, it is night time so it is a little bit hard to tell. I tried to use flash. Look near the roof line and where it meets the windshield. You can see it domes out more than the OEM ones and sticks out in a more concave manner. The OEM I had was flush right to the body lines, this one you can visibly see it is more bubbly like. Just take a look at your cars and then these pictures and you will see what I mean.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
It definitely appears to be bubbled out more than the windshield on ours. Especially at the top. I have no clue what the deal is with that.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #6
camarozzzz

[QUOTE=RobertRS;7917845]It definitely appears to be bubbled out more than the windshield on ours. Especially at the top. I have no clue what the deal is with that.[/QUOT

Thanks for validating that! I thought I was seeing things! Upon closer inspection today it definitely is bubbling out a lot more than the previous one. I cannot seem to figure out why though. Hopefully someone on here will know.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Isn't it supposed to be Pilkington, not PPG?
I'm not sure. I brought my car in and they did all of the work. That is how I basically picked it up. In my post I just typed out what the stamp on the glass says. I'm not really familiar with the different companies.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #8
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Check your other windows.

I had my windshield replaced. It's a Pilkington, it fits perfectly. It's only missing the GM logo.

I have read that you can get factory with the GM logo but it takes weeks/months. Mine was done in one afternoon.
I just checked and my others are pilkington as well. The front definetly domes out a lot and has a slight green to it. Looks like it's more pushed out in general.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
That is not normal. I have had the windshield replaced twice, both times Pilkington.

I did have to request that, otherwise a less expensive substitute would have been used.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote