Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #15
DylanVK

Drives: a few
Tunnel washes are fine.... if you don't care about the long term appearance of your car.

A tunnel wash that uses brushes is going to do a ton of physical damage. Those spinning brushes are made of less-than-paint-friendly materials, plus they're full of all the gunk and grime from all the cars that went thru before you. Might as well wash your car with a push broom and a bucket of sand.

A touchless eliminates the mechanical agitation, but in order to break down dirt/grime/road film will rely on more aggressive detergents. Without something to 'scrub' the surface the chemicals need to be able to dissolve contamination. These harsh detergents will strip your car of any protection (waxes or sealants) and over time will dry/damage porous materials like plastic, rubber, and vinyl trim.

Compounding the problem is the false sense of clean. A touchless, even with the aggressive chemicals, can't get your car completely clean. Many people then start wiping the car down afterwards, grinding that leftover film into the surface and introducing damage.

Long story short - if you care about your car avoid the car wash. No one is going to do a better or more thorough job than you will and you can tailor a process to suit your level of OCD, budget, and available time to perform it.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #16
SSE14

Drives: 2014 Spring Special Edition SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
Aside from all the other warnings above, if you have a convertible, consider this: if there is a blow dryer at the end, STAY AWAY, or pull out before it starts. The air comes out at hurricane speed, and beats on the roof like a rapid-fire sledgehammer. In my last car (a Miata), the seams began to come undone from the pressure. Seriously, it sounded like the cast of Riverdance was rehearsing on my roof.

Photo evidence:

Does the "touchless" wash hurt the convertible top? There is a touchless carwash in our town that has a separate/optional drying area, but I'm interested in the underbody spray to get rid of the sand/salt. Is the touchless wash only safe for a convertible? Everything I've read seems to advise convertibles should avoid automatic carwashes.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:22 PM   #17
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
My daily driver gets the tunnel of death during the deep winter months a handful of times when it is so cold out over the weekend I cant use power washer at work. That may even stop this year may try powerwash at carwash then run home do rinseless wash never tried rinseless. have heat and tv in the garage now so I may give that whirl.

Last edited by trashmanssd; 11-18-2014 at 12:43 PM.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #18
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
My daily driver gets the tunnel of death during the deep winter months a handful of times when it is so cold out over the weekend I cant use power washer at work. That may even stop this year may try powerwash at carwash then run home do rinseless wash never tried rinseless. have heat and tv in the garage now so I may give that whirl.
When I had a heated garage, I invested in an adjustable PSI power washer and would run it with hot water in the driveway for the wash, then pull into the garage for drying and detailing.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #19
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpiersd View Post
When I had a heated garage, I invested in an adjustable PSI power washer and would run it with hot water in the driveway for the wash, then pull into the garage for drying and detailing.
Yeah next summer we are doing over the master bath, while the plumbers are there I am going to have sink added to the garage with hot water. Then I can hook a hose to that and get warm water in the winter should give me few more weeks I can wash. Still though January february its just too cold hardly above freezing for weeks at time and I dont want to added water to the driveway it will just freeze.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #20
DylanVK

Drives: a few
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE14 View Post
Does the "touchless" wash hurt the convertible top? There is a touchless carwash in our town that has a separate/optional drying area, but I'm interested in the underbody spray to get rid of the sand/salt. Is the touchless wash only safe for a convertible? Everything I've read seems to advise convertibles should avoid automatic carwashes.
Its not ideal. As I mentioned in my earlier post, for a chemical to do any cleaning without mechanical agitation it has to be pretty aggressive so you have the chemical acting on the material which might be OK a few times, but long term could have adverse effects.

The other issue is the residues. The cleaners aren't going to rinse very clean from the convertible top, and a lot of the touchless washes feature a 'crash foam wax' as part of the process. Its a soap with a high concentration of wax that gets sprayed as one of the final steps before rinsing. Those kinds of chemicals will leave a lot of residue on something like a convertible top and you'll end up with chalky/blotchy looking spots on your 'vert top.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #21
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Did the buffing come out ok? Every dealer buff job I've ever seen has only made it worse.
Sorry for the late reply.

Surprisingly, it was a bit better than acceptable actually.

But naturally I had to work a few areas over, myself...like half the driver's rear quarter...the killer was that about a week prior, I had buffed the whole damned thing!
Old 11-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #22
JD_Alaska

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Coupe L99
Think you would be better served if you pulled your arm off an ate it than use a car wash
JD_Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:56 AM   #23
Skemer
SoCal HT5

Drives: 1lt Victory Red Camaro
Im glad i found this thread. I would take my car to automatic but not any more especially with my CF HOOD now.
Skemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:32 AM   #24
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Nein, nein, nein!!! No!! Nyet!!
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:30 AM   #25
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
You know what's makes me cringe every time I see those tunnels. The guy at the front with the brush before you go in. They don't do it at every location but I see it more and more lately. They dump it in a bucket of soap and then scrub your car before it goes in. More like scratch
Old 11-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #26
Mongo RS

Drives: 2010 2LT M6 RS
Simple solution.

Do not drive your prized car in the winter, or when it rains.
Mongo RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:40 PM   #27
Tricksta

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo RS View Post
Simple solution.

^ not always able to be avoided
Old 12-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #28
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo RS View Post
Simple solution.

Yep...but unfortunately not always a realistic reality for some people. If your Camaro is a daily driver, it gets wet out, and you have to get to work there aren't many options.

The good news is that you can easily keep your car looking better than 99% of them on the road with some very basic steps. SOOOOOO many people don't take the time to properly clean and protect their cars.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote