Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #71
cybergrayls3

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss/rs..m6..CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 376LS3 View Post
Ill be putting my engine back in the car after being completely rebuilt after a Comp failure! Its been 4 months. Cant wait to fire her up!
Good luck man! Its gonna be a awesome feeling hearing your baby after 4 months and all that work/$$. Im still running my night fury cam, i have almost 20K miles on it since the swap and drive the piss outta it..cant help it, its just too much fun! I have switched to redline oil..really have no idea if this will help extend the life of the cam/lifters..they also make a zinc additive that you can add to your oil, to make up for the lack of zinc and phosphorous in most of todays oils...i think its most geared for the guys running flat tappet cams but i may start running just a conventional 10/40 and add this additive..but who knows?? it seems like a cam swap these days is just a roll of the dice..much different then when i had my 4th gen LS1..those cars it was a no brainer to cam it.
My car, if i could do it all over again...internally leave the motor stock, put a Nitrous Outlet plate kit on it with all the necessary safety stuff..and the money i spent on the cam swap put that toward some Weld RTS's with MT ET streets...daily driving there would be no added stress on the engine, and at the track i could make more power then a cam only LS3 and get it to hook. If i ever buy another camaro thats the route im taking..stock internals and a 100-150 shot for the track. Anyways sorry for the ramble...good luck on your first start up and let us know how it goes.
-CAI cold air intake (black)/Apex scoop
-LSR shifter
-Rick Crawford intake manifold
-Monster level 3 clutch
cybergrayls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:07 PM   #72
jonnyb

Drives: IBM 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by 376LS3 View Post
Ill be putting my engine back in the car after being completely rebuilt after a Comp failure! Its been 4 months. Cant wait to fire her up!
I'm in the same boat! I get my car back next week after the Comp Cam crapped out and took the ****ing engine with it. Hopefully I will be happy with my car in the new configuration.

As far as that %1 failure rate being talked about I just want to ask a simple question. Is that acceptable to you? Because it is not to me! After thousands spent on a new motor because a $500 part fails I could pull my hair out. Then kick someone in the ****ing nuts!
Old 11-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #73
Deftones

Drives: 2012 RS/SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
I'm in the same boat! I get my car back next week after the Comp Cam crapped out and took the ****ing engine with it. Hopefully I will be happy with my car in the new configuration.

As far as that %1 failure rate being talked about I just want to ask a simple question. Is that acceptable to you? Because it is not to me! After thousands spent on a new motor because a $500 part fails I could pull my hair out. Then kick someone in the ****ing nuts!
That's why modifying or customizing isn't for everybody right? You know the risks you take when you modify or race your car. It comes with the territory.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #74
jonnyb

Drives: IBM 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
That's why modifying or customizing isn't for everybody right? You know the risks you take when you modify or race your car. It comes with the territory.
You are right but the last thing that was expected was cam failure so soon. I always knew I would have to rebuild the engine and it would have a shortened life expectancy. The cam was not the weak link I was planning for.