Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #15
Unrulie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Cyber Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Your Kenworth doesn't have a separate parking brake. The regular brakes apply when you pull that knob.

Your Camaro has small drum brakes inside the rear rotors.
If you pull out the parking brake valve on the dash that only applies the parking brakes on the tractor. It has nothing to do with the parking brakes on the trailer. The parking brake system comprises brakes that are activated by a loss of air pressure. Air pressure holds spring brakes open during normal driving conditions. They activate when the air pressure can no longer overcome the pressure being exerted by the springs. The spring brakes are used primarily for securing the semi when parked. Many trucks have spring parking brakes on only one axle and not on both.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:08 PM   #16
GMfan454

Drives: 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6spd manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by mySSt View Post
If I'm parking front end up hill, I put it in first. If I'm parked front end down slope, I put it in reverse.

Enjoy the ZL1 !!!
This.
GMfan454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:53 PM   #17
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
If I park my car in the garage when it is raining, I do not put the emergency brake on, I've found the metal on the pads can rust the surface of the rotors. Also, never use the emergency brake if at the track or after hard braking, it can heat soak the rotor and warp them.
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:56 PM   #18
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw78911sc View Post
If I park my car in the garage when it is raining, I do not put the emergency brake on, I've found the metal on the pads can rust the surface of the rotors. Also, never use the emergency brake if at the track or after hard braking, it can heat soak the rotor and warp them.
I assume this holds true for automatics as well....
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:05 AM   #19
1SSFever

Drives: 2012 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
I assume this holds true for automatics as well....
No the Camaro has rear drum brakes that serve only one purpose, the parking brake.

The regular disc brakes will stick if you put your car away wet. Happens to me every time I wash my car and put it back in the garage.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:52 AM   #20
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
I don't have to worry about these things because I bought an automatic.

/troll

Enjoy your new ZL1 boomer!
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:45 AM   #21
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
Since it's in the owner's manual I've been doing it on both Camaro M6 cars since 2009. Common sense, too, always use e-brake.
When your "common sense" has a wider range of experience, "always" is too simplistic of an attitude. "Always" when parked on a significant incline, I'll give you. But on ground that's flat enough such that the car won't roll anywhere anyway, by insisting on using the P-brake every single time you're just asking to service it sooner/more often.

Of course the OM will recommend this - members of the team that puts these manuals together aren't going to care if Chevy's own shops gain a little easy repair business on cars that aren't their own personal vehicles.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:30 AM   #22
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
I always put manual trans vehicles IN gear AND set the parking brake.

This is what the owners manual recommends.
This is what most state DMV / driver education programs recommend.

In fact, I have no idea why anyone *wouldn't* also put their vehicle in gear. "The parking brake is enough." --Yeah, but why rely on only one safety mechanism, when you have two at your disposal? You won't park within 50 miles of another vehicle at Walmart, but you'll leave the trans in neutral when you park it? Hmm...

Heavy trucks are an exception...lots of heavy duty trucks with automatics do not have a parking pawl for good reason, but they usually also have air brakes that lock up when the vehicle's compressor shuts off, and usually a mechanical/spring brake that can be set as well.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #23
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
I used to park my manual Hyundai in Neutral. Taught myself, so nobody ever pointed this error of mine.

Good thing nobody gave it a good shove, I guess. I used to use the handbrake for high speed turns, so it probably wasn't in the best shape.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #24
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
When your "common sense" has a wider range of experience, "always" is too simplistic of an attitude. "Always" when parked on a significant incline, I'll give you. But on ground that's flat enough such that the car won't roll anywhere anyway, by insisting on using the P-brake every single time you're just asking to service it sooner/more often.

Of course the OM will recommend this - members of the team that puts these manuals together aren't going to care if Chevy's own shops gain a little easy repair business on cars that aren't their own personal vehicles.

Norm
Weird. I've never had to service a parking brake in any of my vehicles, and I use it every time I park. And I've owned vehicles with high mileage too, and the brakes have worked in those, every time.

There are very few exceptions where the parking brake might not be appropriate. For those situations, chocking one or more wheels is more appropriate.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:28 PM   #25
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Is it a real thing to put our cars in reverse to cut off the power? Seems kind of weird of that's what's supposed to happen. I usually leave it in first but today I've put it in reverse. We shall see if it starts any better in a few hours.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #26
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
1st or Reverse with parking brake for me. Flat ground or hills I do the same thing, so be it if I have to replace my brake cable sooner.

EDIT:
Also congrats to the original poster on the ZL1. Hell of a jump from a V6!
Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:23 PM   #27
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Weird. I've never had to service a parking brake in any of my vehicles, and I use it every time I park. And I've owned vehicles with high mileage too, and the brakes have worked in those, every time.

There are very few exceptions where the parking brake might not be appropriate. For those situations, chocking one or more wheels is more appropriate.
You'd better believe that I chock the wheels any time I've got two wheels up on ramps or am setting one end of the car on jackstands.

Over the years, I've had to replace several P-brake cables because they either broke strands (which lets them unravel and become incapable of setting the brake firmly enough) and had cable sheaths split and allow water intrusion/rusting/won't release episodes. And at least one case where the cable iced up and froze solid in its sheath. Fortunately I'd learned by then to not use the P-brake when parked unless necessary for reasons of uphill/downhill slope (pay attention, Neumatic, I hear Ohio gets cold enough).

I've had to replace rear brake calipers on one car because the integral P-brake bits over-adjusted the pads until they locked that corner's brake up solid while driving . . . at least twice.

Frozen cables (in the winter) are an occasional problem with Mustangs of about the same vintage as mine, so winter is a "don't be tempting fate" part of the year even if you are inclined to use it on a regular basis.

The "electronic" P-brake on my wife's car . . . the "backup" manual release involves something like 200 turns (by hand) with a little crank tool that fits into a socket under some body plug. I hope I never need to go through that. Ever.

I'd be ashamed to think I should disregard all of the relevant experience I've been acquiring over the last 50 years. No matter who wrote the car's manual; I don't live in their ivory tower.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-02-2015 at 05:45 PM. Reason: changed a word
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:41 PM   #28
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post

Actually a parking brake is a device that only stays working well with constant use. The cables will freeze up if you never use it.

The brake shoes will never wear out from using the parking brake as long as you don't drive with it actuated, or try to use it with bad actuator cables that stick.

Don't take it personally I decided to quote you, my statement is aimed toward anyone that cares.