Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2015 Camaro Fest (VI)

Old 01-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #113
michael's maro
RAM'S CAMARO

Drives: 2010 camaro ss 2015 Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES! this track is very brake dependent. if you are doing more than parade laps, you should have in high temp fluid and good pads. i wouldnt show up with dot 3 and HPS pads lol.
i have ran 12 days over there, instructed 10 days, and drove pace car for several events. i will help if needed and i might be able to round up a few more if needed. let me know because ill probably just enter and run it care free if im not needed to instruct.
most clubs, even race clubs have started the day off with parade laps. not for sight seeing but just to let everyone see the track, the elevation changes, and the 23 chances to get it wrong per lap. just for the record, its been the fast guys who try to go before they are ready. there was at least 1 6 figure car wadded up at every event. its actually a very safe track if you drive within your abilities.
this was the last high speed event i did in october. we are running track X this saturday for locals.

hey baylor make up a bunch of those stickers. you could sell em. heck, ill buy 10 myself lol.

Awesome video, Thanks for posting it
Old 01-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #114
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES! this track is very brake dependent. if you are doing more than parade laps, you should have in high temp fluid and good pads. i wouldnt show up with dot 3 and HPS pads lol.
Completely agree, brakes are the most important no matter where you track your car. Switching to DOT4 was the first thing I did. One of our members stayed on DOT3 and boiled the fluid and eventually lost most braking and had to sit out 2 sessions just to cool it to a reasonable temp.

Quote:
hey baylor make up a bunch of those stickers. you could sell em. heck, ill buy 10 myself lol.
You mean like this? I keep several in my glove compartment so come find me at C5 Fest!

BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #115
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Okay so if you are a novice, excited but definitely not wanting to wad up your car.............Do we need better brake pads & fluid? Do we need to just do parade laps & let it go. Hubby is trying his best to talk be out of doing it but I want to. I did a parade lap on the track & even that was fun.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #116
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
honestly Ruby, i think you would be fine. at this type of event, the novice class is really a novice class. everyone should be taking their time and creeping up on it instead of going hard right off. if you want to gain speed gradually or are concerned that someone might be going too early, just line up at the back of your class the first session and see where you are. that way you have at least half the session with no pressure form behind. this allows you to look out the windshield and learn the track. it will make a huge difference over being early to grid thinking your doing right but only getting in front of angry wolverines. this will change your focus to your mirror and hurt your learning curve. if you have that first session to look out your windshield, it could make the difference for the rest of the day.
you have drag raced before and you know what your car feels like at WOT. knowing this is why i think you would be fine. if you had never done anything like that, i would have suggested parade laps your first time. you have autocrossed too i believe so youll be fine. come on in ruby, the water is fine.

as far as fluid, i would put dot 4 in there. it does the same thing as dot 3 on the street. if your pads are thick you can run those. dont use hawk HPS for track. oem is better. if you did want to upgrade, i would go with hawk HP+. you can run them on the street and the track.

Last edited by JOHNSONROD; 01-16-2015 at 05:32 PM.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #117
Blackhawk6

Drives: Born:18 Sept 2009 #47903
Track Day

Mike, you know I am in. Thanks Terry.
2010 Camaro 2SS________________________________________Litho#140

Blackhawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #118
JOHNSONROD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw78911sc View Post
Should get a group that does this as a business liked Hooked on Driving, Chin, TrackDaze etc... and let them run the program. They also provide class room instruction and certified coaches for novice groups etc... That is what the Mustang Convention did @ Savannah a while back, contracted with Hooked on Driving to run the event @ Roebling.

the BMW club out of louisville puts on a very structured safe event. i have the guys info if they want to ask him. 10/10THS does events there too but they are a race club and also very heavily booked. NCM puts on a good safe event too but all the people are so spread out, they probably wouldnt be able to do it.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:52 PM   #119
michael's maro
RAM'S CAMARO

Drives: 2010 camaro ss 2015 Z-28
Quote:
the BMW club out of louisville puts on a very structured safe event. i have the guys info if they want to ask him. 10/10THS does events there too but they are a race club and also very heavily booked. NCM puts on a good safe event too but all the people are so spread out, they probably wouldnt be able to do it.
The company that I've hired to run Friday's event, has been doing track days for over 15 years.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:26 PM   #120
JOHNSONROD

it would be great if they could just do both days. it would be smoother as a two day event no matter who does it so i hope they work it out.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:29 PM   #121
2011Black2SS

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
it would be great if they could just do both days. it would be smoother as a two day event no matter who does it so i hope they work it out.
How was the trackx this last Saturday? I almost went to it, but had something else come up. Was it an open track, but you just had a designated start / stop point?

I may have to get in on one or two with the price that it was.

10/10ths is usually who I run with and I like their intermediate rules of passing anywhere with a point by. I have ran with MVP to, but they were a bit more strict on intermediate and beginners regardless of skill level.
2011Black2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:42 AM   #122
JOHNSONROD

they used the west portion of the track. they released cars about every 20 seconds. you started from a standing start on the front straight, went through the chicane, then they had some coned gates at spots to keep the speed under 100.
i thought it was going to be the west course, one lap, no cones. i was in at that point. once i found out abut the cones, i was wanting to help if i could. im not an autocrosser so i probably wouldnt be good at it.
woodside said the track was better after lunch. i think it was cold and no grip in the morning.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #123
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
They are doing another one on the in 2 weeks. It is great learning experience if you are new to it u should go
Old 01-19-2015, 09:16 PM   #124
2011Black2SS

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
they used the west portion of the track. they released cars about every 20 seconds. you started from a standing start on the front straight, went through the chicane, then they had some coned gates at spots to keep the speed under 100.
i thought it was going to be the west course, one lap, no cones. i was in at that point. once i found out abut the cones, i was wanting to help if i could. im not an autocrosser so i probably wouldnt be good at it.
woodside said the track was better after lunch. i think it was cold and no grip in the morning.

Yeah I didn't go mainly because I thought it would be cone chasing. I did enough of that years ago and prefer to do the full open road courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodside783
They are doing another one on the in 2 weeks. It is great learning experience if you are new to it u should go
Not new to, but it would be a safer learning experience then a full on track day for those that are.
2011Black2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #125
tomster
RedLine

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1LE

Im in for Thursday or Friday.. I just need some details so I can plan my personal life around when im going down....
2022 GMC 2500 "Blue"
2022 ZL1 1LE 6spd "Rapid Blue"
2023 ZL1 1LE Auto Rapid Blue (ordered)
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #126
JOHNSONROD

does anyone know any news on the HPDE? is that group michael contracted going to run the C5 event too, or are they running it themselves? do we know when registration will be up?
i know the funny answer is soon but im just curious. this is the only part of the fest that i would be interested in. we have lots of time to make it a great event but we shouldnt wait til the last minute. it can get pretty crazy if everything isnt lined out at a high speed event like this.