Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-22-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
Harley09

Drives: 2010LT
V6 help!!

Hey everybody, new to the site. Thanks for the add. Ok so I have a stock 2010 v6. Started missing bad and CEL came on. Car died before I got it home. Battery seemed dead. Put new battery in since it was 5yrs old but not the problem. Checked codes and pulled up cam position sensor. Changed it out and the car ran horrible after. Pinged bad so I put the old one back in and same problem but no codes ever came up. So taking it to a mechanic friend with good computer and after 10 miles it died and never started again. Just changed the oil when I put the new sensor in. I have small metal shaving in the oil. 87,000 help!
Harley09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Taking a wild stab I would say you have the infamous timing chain failure that the 2010's were sometimes unfortunate to develop. But that is just a guess.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:50 PM   #3
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Hopefully your warranty will cover whatever the problem is.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:54 PM   #4
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
oil pump or camshaft would be my guess.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
Harley09

Yea no warranty. Figured timing belt would break but just my thoughts. Someone had told me possible bearing failure cause seems cold it would start and drive at first then lose power and die. None of my options sounds good atm
Old 02-23-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley09 View Post
Yea no warranty. Figured timing belt would break but just my thoughts. Someone had told me possible bearing failure cause seems cold it would start and drive at first then lose power and die. None of my options sounds good atm
These have timing chains instead of belts, the problem was with some early 2010's people would let the oil level get low and starve the chain of oil lubrication. This would cause premature wear of the chain and tensioner. Probably what is happening is when cold the chain is tighter and what slop there is at that time the computer can adjust for, but as the engine warms, the timing chain expands so the timing gets too far off for the computer to compensate and then you get the pinging, missing, loss of power then dieing.
That is my guess.
I also think the cams may get out of sync and give you the cam position Sensor CEL.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #7
Harley09

That's probably my best case scenario also lol. With metal shavings being in the oil, what are chances of just changing timing chains and car being fine?
Old 02-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #8
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley09 View Post
That's probably my best case scenario also lol. With metal shavings being in the oil, what are chances of just changing timing chains and car being fine?
Metal shavings can do other damage because you don't know where they have been or if there is more still circulating or trapped somewhere. Its a gamble, I would probably still have an expert go through the engine. I am no expert band I was just guessing based off of others reported issues.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:52 PM   #9
Harley09

Thanks for your input