Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #57
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
The device in the end is better than nothing. I will.still perform the old method, second nature after so many years, and fully adaptable as well.
Same here, but my point is that I would not be shocked if the new cars (like a Porsche GT3) is not doing the same thing, just giving a standard amount of throttle input. To further support this, the cars at the Rolex 24 sounded like they had a pre programmed set amount of throttle input as well. I have no proof of this, just going on what I heard as we stood in various downshifting areas.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #58
MadOven

Drives: 2013 Rally Yellow SS/RS
So a bit of a update. I followed the instructions on their website for the install. I have the device hooked up to all the right wires. I went to start the car and first off my clutch position sensor doesnt seem to be working. So the car isnt registering that the clutch pedal is pushed so I cant start it. I also noticed that my brake lights are on so I am assuming that the brake sensor is reading fully depressed. Getting those wire taps in was a pain in the @$$ so I may just end up pulling the dash so I can get a better look at what exactly is going on.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #59
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #60
MadOven

So I am on days off and have plenty of time on my hands so what the hell. I am pulling the dash apart to get at these harnesses a bit better and will hopefully solve my problems. I started at about 9 Alberta time and I'm about an hour in. I am using the instructions from gen5diy for a HUD install and thats working out so far. Took me an hour and I have got the center console removed up to the radio. Just put the seats where I want them and pulled the batter and just letting everything sit for about 15. As much as this is an inconvenience I am enjoying pulling stuff apart and looking at exactly what I own. Also not the easiest way but my shift boot is spotless and clean again
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2015, 03:12 PM   #61
MadOven

And final update. Got the bloody thing working. Got enough pulled apart that I could get my hands in there and get a hold of the harnesses. Had to re adjust a couple clips and i can now properly calibrate the module. The instructions to calibrate are on there website and are pretty easy to follow along with.

Now, for what you actually want to hear. I took the car out for a short ride to try this out. Because of the way the device works it needs to see both the clutch fully pressed in, and the brake activated for it to deliver a small blip for your downshift. In the calibration you are asked to every so slightly press the brake. That sets the start point of your braking on the module. So far I have found it a little inconsistent on when it will deliver the blip. I am assuming that is because I may already have the clutch in and I have hit a lower gear before I reach my brake setpoint. I will play around a little more with it to give it a honest try. So far I feel this would be an ok tool for track use, but like many of you have already mention, if you are going to put the effort into tracking your car why not include heel toe into that.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #62
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
Wow, nice install. However, I'm sure people won't like pulling the dash to install.

I hope it works better. you need to go test drive a new manual corvette and see how it compares.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #63
MadOven

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
Wow, nice install. However, I'm sure people won't like pulling the dash to install.

I hope it works better. you need to go test drive a new manual corvette and see how it compares.
I dont think you really need to pull the dash to do it. I just could not for the life of me get the clutch cable wires free to work on them a little easier.

And if the Vette is anything like the 370z I test drove there is no comparison. This is more focused on track driving. Where you are hitting the brake hard and down shifting before you hit the turn. The 370z I test drove is actual rev matching, not just a module feeding a little extra gas at a pre determined time. I drop from 4th to 3rd a ways before a stop light and the engine picks up a bit as I slide into 3rd and the transition is smooth as butter. This isn't so sophisticated.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #64
satria

Drives: beautiful
interesting
satria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:21 PM   #65
MadOven

Quote:
Originally Posted by satria View Post
interesting
Honestly, for the effort it took to get it installed and for what it does. I feel learning to heel toe properly faster and easier. But maybe in track applications it may shine.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:56 AM   #66
blessedhellride

Drives: 2014 Z/28; 2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Well, if you're using heel and toe, you're doing that to rev match while braking at the same time. Otherwise, you wouldn't need to heel and toe, but point taken- you don't need to heel and toe to rev match.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #67
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
OP, please give us an update after you have had the vehicle at the track or after some legal spirited driving. I am curious how this product performs.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:36 AM   #68
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
OP, please give us an update after you have had the vehicle at the track or after some legal spirited driving. I am curious how this product performs.
+1

I just want to know how does it really compare to the C7 Vette's rev match feature.

Fwiw, I just heard a reviewer on some car show claim that the C7 Z06 rev match felt better than the regular C7, and he wasn't really sure why.

If a product ever comes along that is as good as the C7's, I'll be down for one.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:28 PM   #69
MadOven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
+1

I just want to know how does it really compare to the C7 Vette's rev match feature.

Fwiw, I just heard a reviewer on some car show claim that the C7 Z06 rev match felt better than the regular C7, and he wasn't really sure why.

If a product ever comes along that is as good as the C7's, I'll be down for one.
I will try to check back here after I get some actual time with it. Im up in Canada so I have had the car out a little this year but the streets need to be swept and totally dry before I can really put any time on this thing. Could be another month before I can get something solid to go on. Could do a go pro video to go with it as well I suppose.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:05 PM   #70
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
I understand, same deal here. Car won't hit streets until April at the very least.
Sure others might do mid to late March, but I want to see zero debris on the asphalt, and oh yeah, zero major pot holes too, lol.

Looking forward to your review in a few weeks!
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote