Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #29
Camarotobeornottobe

Drives: 1LE
The "citizen's arrest" comment literally made me LOL at my computer. Good luck with that, particularly for a misdemeanor.

Regardless, the thread went down quite the rabbit hole, given the OP has already clarified that the neighbor didn't physically detain the child.
Camarotobeornottobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #30
Ernest T

Drives: 2014 RS
The kids family's homeowners insurance will cover this assuming his family has it.
Ernest T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #31
cottrellj2
Blue Ray SCPO

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
If things don't work out with the parents, it could probably be processed as vandalism through your insurance carrier. Its not much different than having your car keyed, other than intent, of course. The parents should pay the deductible (usually less due to no fault) in that situation and shouldn't impact your premium.

All depends on the carrier I guess. I think I paid 250.00 when my son's car was keyed. Luckily, it was just a sentra, lol.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #32
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarotobeornottobe View Post
The "citizen's arrest" comment literally made me LOL at my computer. Good luck with that, particularly for a misdemeanor.

Regardless, the thread went down quite the rabbit hole, given the OP has already clarified that the neighbor didn't physically detain the child.
News Flash for ya. Mall Cops, Security Guards, etc. They process citizen arrests every day. In most states they have no special arrest powers beyond what a normal citizen does. The only difference between unarmed and armed security is the cost of the insurance the company pays for and the additional firearms training - which is similar to most states Concealed Carry training programs.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #33
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
That's just a hazard of parking on the street. Around here dog walkers will let pets piss on your wheels.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #34
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Shoulda beat the kid
Old 03-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #35
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfield03 View Post
Quit with this politically correct bs stuff. Someone hits your vehicle and then tries to flee, no matter what the age, I'm making sure they don't. This attitude is why so many parents have misbehaving kids they just put in timeout.
+100

I'm tired of the "politically correct", "don't step on anyone's toes" crap these days.
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #36
RedRaven

Drives: 2012 2SS M6 CRT
All depends on the state and the underwriting laws. Wife used to be a CSR for the company that's supposedly "on your side". In Florida, a grocery cart vs parked car is Collision. If a tree falls (unless it's private property, sometimes) and crushes the car it's Comp. Citizen's arrest only works if you don't physically have to detain them, must be voluntary. Then fleeing becomes a factor.

First real car: 1968 Malibu, '67 283, Canary yellow
RedRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:44 AM   #37
c5Legend
Camaro5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint View Post
My dad's a pretty old-school guy, but I'm certain that if I was "held" by an adult when I was under 18 he'd have some choice words or a tire iron for them.
Even if you did something wrong?? This is whats wrong with kids these days their parents let them do dumb stuff and get away with it.

My Build
'11 Chrysler 300 Limited / '10 Camaro 2LT
c5Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:48 AM   #38
2010Camaro1ss

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2ss 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Camaro View Post
Preventing him from leaving is fine, using undue force is not the greatest idea, although our country is being destroyed by a lack of accountability by our youth. If I is was this kids parents, I would hope he was detained and held accountable (call his parents), not physically manhandled.
+1
2010Camaro1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #39
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottrellj2 View Post
If things don't work out with the parents, it could probably be processed as vandalism through your insurance carrier. Its not much different than having your car keyed, other than intent, of course. The parents should pay the deductible (usually less due to no fault) in that situation and shouldn't impact your premium.

All depends on the carrier I guess. I think I paid 250.00 when my son's car was keyed. Luckily, it was just a sentra, lol.
It's a collision, plain and simple. Kid on bike ran into car. If the kid's parents don't have insurance, then it would fall to the vehicle owner's uninsured motorist property damage coverage, *if* they carry it. Otherwise, it's a collision and falls under the collision coverage on the car.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #40
AshenBatmobile

Drives: 2019 SS
The kid was in a mountain bike, that's why it was a high scratch. I don't know how fast he was going but its a lengthy scratch.
He is 11 years old. All that happened to him was a scrape on the knee. He was ok other than that.

If you guys see the video you, you can see the extent of the damage. Its not going to be a DIY project. Both windows are scratched. Paint is gone on some parts.
My neighbor did NOT physically restrain him. He told the kid to stay there while he contacted me.
AshenBatmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #41
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I would beat the crap out of my kids if they did this to someone's car. Then work it out with the owner to help cover the damages.

The kid(s) responsible would be doing lots of chores to cover the cost.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #42
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshenBatmobile View Post
The kid was in a mountain bike, that's why it was a high scratch. I don't know how fast he was going but its a lengthy scratch.
He is 11 years old. All that happened to him was a scrape on the knee. He was ok other than that.

If you guys see the video you, you can see the extent of the damage. Its not going to be a DIY project. Both windows are scratched. Paint is gone on some parts.
My neighbor did NOT physically restrain him. He told the kid to stay there while he contacted me.
I'd be buying that neighbor a 12 pack of the beverage of his choice.
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote