Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 06-13-2015, 09:06 AM   #15
s/c ss

Drives: 13 ZL1, 10 Silverado LTZ, Chopper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickey31 View Post
Andy is the best person to respond, but since I almost have the exact set up, I can tell you that the car is on rails. You still have the magnetic suspension and computer working for you. The DSE components just improve it. But after having it all installed, there is almost no body roll. I am sure my full cage helps stiffen everything up too, but is an improvement.

The only difference with my set up is that I used BMR rear lower control arms as I was having issues with my 17" Welds I use when i drag the car. DSE and BMR may be interchangeable, but I don't know and I am sure ADM can tell you. They know this stuff inside and out.
I tracked my car a few weeks ago and I gotta tell you, it felt like it was on rails as it stands from the factory. I just don't understand how much better it can be. Again, definitely not knocking anyone's products as I'm sure a lot of research has gone into it. Are our control arms so weak that we need it?
Old 06-14-2015, 11:41 PM   #16
Nickey31

Drives: 2012 Nickey ZL1 #001, 2014 Corvette
I only replaced the lower rear control arms because they were making contact with my 17" Welds that I use to drag race. There is not a lot of clearance and at launch the back squats way down and my wheels were locking up as they made contact with the LCA and bolt from end link. So BMR and maybe DSE too, offer a LCA with more clearance.

The DSE components do improve the handling, but if you are happy where you are, save the money or spend it on something else.
Nickey31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:02 PM   #17
vatechguy3

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
How would the upgrade be with just sway bars?

Tony

2001 Z28 M6
!cags, !air, FTP 85mm Lid, Z06 85mm MAF, P&P TB
!4x4, Strano Springs, Strano Sways, Koni 4/4s, Watts Link
ARH LTs, ARH catted Y, SLP catback with Dual/Dual Muffler, SLP CME and Valance
OE Wheels Machined Face C5 DDs, 18x10.5s, with 295/35-18s on all 4 corners!
352rwhp and 366rwtq
vatechguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:43 AM   #18
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Same question here. How would the handling improve with just the swaybars mod?
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #19
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Why does it seem like every upgrade package includes lowering springs? Is it possible to modify the package? Can you get everything except for the lowering springs? It's hard enough to keep from scraping my front splitter as it is, I can't imaging driving around with it an inch lower.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #20
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterboy8 View Post
Why does it seem like every upgrade package includes lowering springs? Is it possible to modify the package? Can you get everything except for the lowering springs? It's hard enough to keep from scraping my front splitter as it is, I can't imaging driving around with it an inch lower.
This! ^ I want a good package with the same ride height. Car is low enough as it is.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:56 PM   #21
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Same question here. How would the handling improve with just the swaybars mod?
It helps cure the factory induced understeer. Most cars are designed that way for better controlled handling at high cornering speeds. Mainly, as we all know oversteer in these cars can be a handful to control.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:10 PM   #22
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Ask yourself why do ZL1 owners add more HP to the car? It has enough already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/c ss View Post
Can I ask something without sounding like I'm putting down this kit! With the ZL-1 already being set up as a stellar factory built track car, why would there be a need for this upgrade? Since our cars already have computer controlled magnetic ride suspension, won't that change the aesthetics and handling of the car in a negative way?

No it doesn't. It actually helps the car handle better. The factory mag ride shocks function as before due to the fact that the car's suspension isn't lowered excessively defeating the usability of the shocks. You have read the posts regarding the car being "on rails"? The car from the factory is set up for the "average everyday driver"! The fact that some of you are inquiring about handling, already excludes you from that category. Lowering the ZL1's center of gravity will help the car corner better. The factory doesn't add it because of costs, and the average driver won't notice the difference anyway. Similar to asking your significant other if he/or she feels the difference after you added something to the car, they normally don't, but agree for sake of an argument. In regards to the front splitter and being lowered, slow down over the dips and bumps, you are compressing the suspension enough to cause the splitter to scrape. I have a CF splitter so I know to take it easy to begin with.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote