Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-07-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
camarozzzz

Drives: Blue
Rotofab cold air intake install.

I bought a rotofab Cai second hand from a member and am having a little bit of trouble installing it. Does any one have a install video I could use? I've looked around but haven't found any real clear step by step instructions. I'm pretty mechanically not handy so details would be essential.

The intake is for my v6 2011 1lt if that makes a difference.

Thanks!!
camarozzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the install. The first thing you need to do is scroll down on this link https://www.roto-fab.com/2010-15-cam...old-air-intake and download the pdf file towards the bottom. Look at the second page and make sure you have all of the parts listed in the instructions before you take your stock intake off. If you are missing any parts feel free to contact us and we'll get you what you need right away! The pdf has a full color copy of the instructions we send with the intake. If you need help at any point just give us a call and we'll be happy to help!

Last edited by Roto-fab 1; 08-10-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:38 PM   #3
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the install. The first thing you need to do is scroll down on this link https://www.roto-fab.com/2010-15-cam...old-air-intake and download the pdf file towards the bottom. Look at the second page and make sure you have all of the parts listed in the instructions before you take your stock intake off. If you are missing any parts feel free to contact us and we'll get you what you need right away! The pdf has a full color copy of the instructions we send with the intake. If you need help at any point just give us a call and we'll be happy to help!
Thanks a lot !! I really appreciate this help! I will be installing the intake later this afternoon so I will update here.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
Linker239

Drives: 2022 WC 2SS
I have one and you will love it. The sound you get from it at WOT is amazing!
2010 VR 1LT RS; Sold
Linker239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:07 PM   #5
camarozzzz

I am currently installing the cai and realized for those instructions I do not have the little hose from the section labeled installing instructions step one. It's the little hose that goes over the ac line. I think it'd part 16# silicone hose with the slit. How necessary is this? I don't think it would affect installing it much?
Old 08-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Roto-Fab is a great intake, and there instructions are very thorough. If the piece you are missing is just the little hose piece that protects the A/C line from the box, you could probably wrap it in some other material like a couple layers of electrical tape. Contact Roto-Fab and they may send ya one. If not I have mine (as its not used on '15 SS) and I will send it to ya.
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post
Roto-Fab is a great intake, and there instructions are very thorough. If the piece you are missing is just the little hose piece that protects the A/C line from the box, you could probably wrap it in some other material like a couple layers of electrical tape. Contact Roto-Fab and they may send ya one. If not I have mine (as its not used on '15 SS) and I will send it to ya.
Yeah that's what I thought of doing. I'm not 100% certain what the little hose with the slit does but I figured better to follow their instructions fully. Thanks a lot I appreciate that!! I'll let you know where I stand.

Alright just finished the install and took her for a spin. First thoughts are throttle response has definetly improved. My ark n2 cat back sounds deeper upon cold start and when I floor it dies feel more responsive and much faster. Their instructions are very easy to follow. I have close to zero experience working in cars and I got this done in 90 minutes while taking my time.

My question now is. ..what is it supposed to sound like ?? When I hit 2.5k to 4k rpm and really step on it I hear what sounds like a whistling? Kind of like a high pitch inhaling. Is this supposed to be the right sound? Sorry if this question is a bit odd...it's my first cai. Is it supposed to sound high pitched like it's winding up?
Old 08-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #8
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
Yes that suction (high pitched inhaling) sound is normal as the filter element is now much larger and more open with less restrictions to block the noise. That's what all those little boxes and things on your stock intake did. Congrats on the install, the more you do the more confident you get on working on your own car. Just remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum ask away.
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #9
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman09 View Post
Yes that suction (high pitched inhaling) sound is normal as the filter element is now much larger and more open with less restrictions to block the noise. That's what all those little boxes and things on your stock intake did. Congrats on the install, the more you do the more confident you get on working on your own car. Just remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum ask away.

Thanks a lot ! I really appreciate the friendly attitude. It was actually quite fun installing it. Feels good to get your hands dirty and learn something out of your comfort zone. I'm very glad to hear that that's normal haha. I was panicking thinking I had a nair leak somewhere. Or hadn't sealed it off right.

Thanks to rotofab as well for providing me with the instructions on here ! They're very thorough and easy to follow. Very happy with this product. Although I forsee my milage dropping from all the extra gunning I'll be done
Old 08-14-2015, 06:07 PM   #10
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozzzz View Post
Thanks a lot ! I really appreciate the friendly attitude. It was actually quite fun installing it. Feels good to get your hands dirty and learn something out of your comfort zone. I'm very glad to hear that that's normal haha. I was panicking thinking I had a nair leak somewhere. Or hadn't sealed it off right.

Thanks to rotofab as well for providing me with the instructions on here ! They're very thorough and easy to follow. Very happy with this product. Although I forsee my milage dropping from all the extra gunning I'll be done
Glad to hear you were able to get it together. You were lucky you had all of the parts except the small silicone piece. The person you purchased it from must have taken some care to keep things together. You usually don't need the small silicone piece and judging from pictures the majority of the people don't install it anyway.
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #11
camarozzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
Glad to hear you were able to get it together. You were lucky you had all of the parts except the small silicone piece. The person you purchased it from must have taken some care to keep things together. You usually don't need the small silicone piece and judging from pictures the majority of the people don't install it anyway.

I'm glad to hear that's the case haha. The guy I got it from took decent care I must say. He only used it for 1000km. So it's practically new. He was missing a couple hardware pieces but nothing serious that I couldn't reuse from the oem intake. So far so good loving the product!!!